M11a1 size?

Slowmo

Does anyone have a picture of an M11a1 next to a common pistol (1911, Glock, etc.) for frame of reference? I’ve never seen one in person and would like to get a sense for how big/small it is.

Bonus points if you have a picture of a PS Baby Ghost compared against a common pistol design.

I’ve got an M10 and full-size Uzi. My head keeps saying I should get an M11/9 as my next SMG, but my heart loves the diminutive size of the M11a1. Seems like it would be an insanely fun package, especially with a CFW bolt.

skullsoldier

Does anyone have a picture of an M11a1 next to a common pistol (1911, Glock, etc.) for frame of reference? I’ve never seen one in person and would like to get a sense for how big/small it is.

Bonus points if you have a picture of a PS Baby Ghost compared against a common pistol design.

I’ve got an M10 and full-size Uzi. My head keeps saying I should get an M11/9 as my next SMG, but my heart loves the diminutive size of the M11a1. Seems like it would be an insanely fun package, especially with a CFW bolt.
I have one with the Baby Ghost upper and a CFW bolt and it’s by far my favorite Mac. It can be fired one handed like a pistol and is extremely controllable. I sometimes attach an old AWC 2-stage 9mm Mac silencer, which is hilariously out of proportion but makes the .380 sound like a laser gun.

The form factor makes it hard to compare to a normal handgun. It’s considerable thicker and taller, so you’re really just comparing the OAL.

Slowmo

I have one with the Baby Ghost upper and a CFW bolt and it’s by far my favorite Mac. It can be fired one handed like a pistol and is extremely controllable. I sometimes attach an old AWC 2-stage 9mm Mac silencer, which is hilariously out of proportion but makes the .380 sound like a laser gun.

The form factor makes it hard to compare to a normal handgun. It’s considerable thicker and taller, so you’re really just comparing the OAL.
Just out of curiosity, do you have an M11/9 as well?

Landric

They are really small. I have a Baby Ghost upper but my M11A1 has a different stock on it now that makes it significantly larger than factory. IMO the best stock for the M11A1 to keep it small is Sam's folding Uzi stock. Here is mine next to and under a Glock model 45:

M11 and Glock_1.jpgM11 and Glock 2_2.jpg

Slowmo

They are really small. I have a Baby Ghost upper but my M11A1 has a different stock on it now that makes it significantly larger than factory. IMO the best stock for the M11A1 to keep it small is Sam's folding Uzi stock. Here is mine next to and under a Glock model 45:

View attachment 37898View attachment 37899
Thank you, Landric. From your posts, I know you have a nice collection. Do you find yourself using the M11a1 often? For the expense of an extra inch or two on the rear end, it seems like the M11/9 opens up many options (particularly the various Lage offerings), but there is a charm I can’t deny for having a machine pistol that is not too much larger than a common carry pistol (to be clear, I have no plans to actually carry the gun; it’s mostly an emotional affinity).

Landric

Thank you, Landric. From your posts, I know you have a nice collection. Do you find yourself using the M11a1 often? For the expense of an extra inch or two on the rear end, it seems like the M11/9 opens up many options (particularly the various Lage offerings), but there is a charm I can’t deny for having a machine pistol that is not too much larger than a common carry pistol (to be clear, I have no plans to actually carry the gun; it’s mostly an emotional affinity).

Keep in mind that I don't have a M11/9, so I can't offer an opinion between it and the M11A1. I have three MACs, the above M11A1, a M10/45, and a M10/9 with an Uzi mag well conversion. Of the three the M11A1 is my favorite, though they all have their advantages. I really like how small the M11A1 can be, but it can also be nearly as large as a M10 (but much lighter) with the right upper and stock.

I think the advantage the M11/9 has over the M11A1 and the M10 has started to disappear. Lage doesn't make their .22 LR kit for the M11/9 anymore. On the other hand they offer the MAX-31 and MAX-15 uppers for all three sizes of MACs. There are still a few more Lage options for the M11/9, but it isn't like it once was. Sam at PS also offers basically everything they offer for the M11/9 in a version for the M11A1 also. As best as I can tell the M11A1 is still on average $1-2k cheaper than the M11/9.

I haven't tried the M11A1 with a 5.56 upper, my MAX-15 upper is for the M10. I suspect the M11A1 version is much handier. When I have a spare $3k lying around I plan to get a MAX-15 for my M11A1. Even so, the M11A1 is my favorite of my three MACs and is the one I use the most. If I could only keep one that would be it.

I would absolutely buy the M11A1 again. If you get one I think you will be very happy.

ccosby

M11 380 next to a glock 19
bdUWSY.jpg

ccosby

And a picture with a modified baby ghost upper next to the g19 and a beretta 92fs.

ND8eK9.jpg

I ended up welding the front grip mount as I needed the space after I had Mike Woodward install a navy 3 lug onto the barrel. Have Sam's uzi style stock on it which is what I'd recommend if you want to keep it small.

Edit: I have the lage upper for mine and have never shot it. The gun is just too much fun to shoot super fast. I do run the cfw bolt in a m11/9 though. A friend shooting the gun with a mk9k

10mmlover

If I had gotten into these things earlier (and therefore much more cheaply), I definitely would have picked up one in 380. I like the idea of being able to fire it one handed, but the 9mm recoil on my m11/9 is too much. I've seen lots of m11/380s on yt doing just that, easily.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
IIRC, one of the "Selling Points" of the .380 MAC was that it was almost identical in length and height to the 1911

Slowmo

And a picture with a modified baby ghost upper next to the g19 and a beretta 92fs.

ND8eK9.jpg

I ended up welding the front grip mount as I needed the space after I had Mike Woodward install a navy 3 lug onto the barrel. Have Sam's uzi style stock on it which is what I'd recommend if you want to keep it small.

Edit: I have the lage upper for mine and have never shot it. The gun is just too much fun to shoot super fast. I do run the cfw bolt in a m11/9 though. A friend shooting the gun with a mk9k
Love the color and thanks for the pictures!

Does anyone know why Lage discontinued the Max-11 for the a1?

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Here’s my M11 next to a 2011.

Attachments

• 00D5B597-71E7-49B2-B063-9E8D6A885275.jpeg
    00D5B597-71E7-49B2-B063-9E8D6A885275.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 21

Slowmo

Thanks Kickstand. Great picture.

For anyone who has both an M11/9 and an M11a1, would you mind explaining which you prefer and why?

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I've had both and the only reason for the M11/9 was Richards 22LR kit. I love that kit. Once I was able to modify the 22 kit for the A1, the M11/9 was sold. The CFW A Bolt, the Max-11K and the Max-11A1/15 sealed the fate of the M11/9. I never regreted the sale.

Does it get any better than this for a machine pistol...

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Love the color and thanks for the pictures!

Does anyone know why Lage discontinued the Max-11 for the a1?
My limited understanding is about market size. There are many numbers thrown around as to how many of each model of Mac style registered receivers were entered into the registry. It is my understanding that something over 17,000 M11/NINEs were registered. About half that number would be all of the various M10 lower receivers registered in the registry. The various M11 and M11A1 models represent around half of the M10 registered models. It is a numbers game. Manufacturers are not going to build products to sit on the shelf.

When a new product comes out for such a small market, it doesn't take long for the sales of the product to be saturated. After that initial interest is satisfied there might only be a new buyer willing to buy, every month or several months. I have seen products come back into production when enough interest is generated over time. I have seen threads where M11 owners have shortened M11/NINE uppers to be used with a M11 lower. You might be able to drum up enough interest to get a run of Max-11 uppers back into production. But this does seem to need to be organized by someone that wants a product to come back. The M11 is a cool little machinegun. but with so few in the registry, it will never have the accessory support that the M11/NINE. As stated previously, it is just a numbers game.

Scott

Slowmo

I've had both and the only reason for the M11/9 was Richards 22LR kit. I love that kit. Once I was able to modify the 22 kit for the A1, the M11/9 was sold. The CFW A Bolt, the Max-11K and the Max-11A1/15 sealed the fate of the M11/9. I never regreted the sale.

Does it get any better than this for a machine pistol...

That video is hypnotic. I probably watched it 10 times. I was kind of curious what the appeal of the .380 CFW setup versus using the CFW to convert the large mag well version to 9mm is. After watching several videos, the .380 CFW setup looks a lot more controllable than the 9mm CFW setup. The 9mm M11a1 conversion looks a bit feral. Even an M11/9 with the CFW bolt looks a bit “chuggy” compared to the videos I’ve seen for the CFW .380 M11a1.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter