MAC 10 original suppressor question

lemonysword

Hello, I finally received my original military armament Corp suppressor for my M10 after over a year and a half and I have a few questions. I have attached a link below to a few photos

The suppressor came with two endcaps; one has two dimples on the side for a removal tool and has a narrow bore diameter; I assume this one is the factory endcap.

The other is longer, no dimples but is knurled around the edges, wider bore diameter and appears to have the remnants of a wipe inside it; from some reading I've done I believe this one is aftermarket. However, I cannot figure out how to take this endcap apart to replace the wipe.

Finally, if your refer to my last photo of the inside of the can, I would like to know if the washer looking thing on the top is the encapsulator that holds the baffle stack in place. The long endcap seems to reach down to the top of the baffle stack, so if it is indeed missing the encapsulator I would have to use the long endcap to hold the baffle stack in place.

Thanks

lemonysword

Richard Hoffman (RIP)
Left his knowledge for you.

I think I watched that video a while back when I originally started my transfer process but missed the sort about the endcap, thanks. seems like I do have the encapsulator which is good, but seems like my long endcap is missing the spacer he talked about.

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
The endcap with the wipe is the original, or at least original design cap. The other is an aftermarket "wipeless" cap. Regardless, you cannot legally posses an "extra" cap. It's legally treated just like a silencer and must be taxed and registered. Otherwise it's contraband and subject to seizure and criminal penalties. Is it likely? Probably not. But I would "dispose" of one of the caps ASAP. Personally, I'd replace the wipes in the original. It would be interesting to see if the can has been recored and uodated to a more modern design or still has the original SIONICS spiral baffles.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
The endcap with the wipe is the original, or at least original design cap. The other is an aftermarket "wipeless" cap. Regardless, you cannot legally posses an "extra" cap. It's legally treated just like a silencer and must be taxed and registered. Otherwise it's contraband and subject to seizure and criminal penalties. Is it likely? Probably not. But I would "dispose" of one of the caps ASAP. Personally, I'd replace the wipes in the original. It would be interesting to see if the can has been recored and uodated to a more modern design or still has the original SIONICS spiral baffles.
jack is correct, factory end cap is the knurled cap with no holes and urethane wipes.

Not to hijack the thread, so having a registered can with an extra cap is the equivalent of having an entire unregistered suppressor? So as far as the ATF is concerned you cannot have a replacement cap??? a while back I won an auction on GB for some vintage MAC items and there was a NOS end cap in the lot… I had a feeling it was considered “suppressor parts”, good thing I lost it in a move. But if I had a registered can that utilizes that cap, it is considered an entire other suppressor??? That’s nuts. The ATF is ridiculous and their arbitrary Fudd policies are laughable.

lemonysword

It is still the original spiral baffle. I feel like there is some classic cool to having the original design in it, and from the opinions I've read of guys who have recored their can, it doesn't seem to be a super significant upgrade since it is still an open bolt MG

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Back in the day Gemtech would sell end caps and different mounts. After the all parts ruling Gemtech had to engrave the serial number of the can onto both mounts and end caps. I have a .40 caliber MK9K. I bought it used with a HK MP5-40 thread on mount. I shipped it to Gemtech, they sold me a 3-lug end cap and an extra three of "pistons" (the part inside the mount that goes over the nose of the 3-lug). Both end caps have the serial number of the suppressor.

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
jack is correct, factory end cap is the knurled cap with no holes and urethane wipes.

Not to hijack the thread, so having a registered can with an extra cap is the equivalent of having an entire unregistered suppressor? So as far as the ATF is concerned you cannot have a replacement cap??? a while back I won an auction on GB for some vintage MAC items and there was a NOS end cap in the lot… I had a feeling it was considered “suppressor parts”, good thing I lost it in a move. But if I had a registered can that utilizes that cap, it is considered an entire other suppressor??? That’s nuts. The ATF is ridiculous and their arbitrary Fudd policies are laughable.
Yep Laughable to the tune of up to 10 yrs in ClubFed and you admitted to having an unregistered suppressor part in your procession?

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
You cannot have spare suppressor parts even if you own the model they pertain to; it's not like having a few spare 1911 sears or hammers in the event one wears out. One exception to this is suppressors with interchangeable pistons, designed to allow you to switch calibers. For example : you have an AAC TiRant 45 and you purchase a 1/2x28 threaded piston so you can use it on 9mm hosts. That is legal.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
I am not an attorney and don't play one on TV, but ..... Silencer Co sells different endcaps for their cans. So if you have a 46 caliber Hybrid, you can put a 30 caliber or 22 caliber end cap on it. I always thought it was a bad idea. Sure it might be a little more quiet when shooting subcaliber rounds through the can, but if you forget to replace the end cap when you go back to .458 SOCOM, it would not be pretty. Not sure if it is because the SiCo is a sealed can and the end cap is just an accessory and not "a suppressor part" or if there is an exemption for all end caps. But I don't think a company like Silencer Co would be selling them and advertising them openly if it was an NFA violation.

Deerhurst

Not SiCos fault if you 458 your 22 cap. Wouldn't be any different from putting a rimfire can on a 223 or a 556 can on a 9mm PCC or even a 7.62x39 with 1/2-28 threads.

Things like the hybrid are a titanium tube with a welded insert threaded into it. The front cap goes into the outer tube and I believe the muzzle adapter goes into the inner assembly. The outer tube comes off the front. Found that out by accident when I accidentally unthreaded the outer tube off my hybrid when it was stuck on a muzzle device. There are also cans that are single welded units that can take multiple mounts such as direct thread, kymo and pistol boosters.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Yep Laughable to the tune of up to 10 yrs in ClubFed and you admitted to having an unregistered suppressor part in your procession?

🙄🙄
The gun grabbers/bootlickers coming out of the woodwork on this thread. If you read my post you would see that I very clearly said that it was some time ago, i do not have it in my “procession” anymore…. 10 years in club fed for an endcap makes it even MORE laughable in my opinion. Don’t they have anything better to worry about?? Like the tens of thousands of gang bangers walking the streets now with full auto Glocks?? Every glock in the hood has a selector switch on it these days, but they’re worried about some collector in the suburbs with a 50 year old suppressor endcap? Yes, laughable.

And yeah…
What about the companies that sell multical suppressors that have swappable endcaps for the different calibers? I don’t think each different cap gets registered as a separate suppressor.

Last edited:

Deerhurst

The difference between you and a gang banger is they can make an example out of you. They don't care about the gang bangers. You are an easier target.

No, each end cap is an accessory, not a serialized item. Same goes for mount adapters.

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
The difference between you and a gang banger is they can make an example out of you. They don't care about the gang bangers. You are an easier target.

No, each end cap is an accessory, not a serialized item. Same goes for mount adapters.

Kinda makes you wonder why SWD stopped selling replacement (wiped) end caps, and AWC stopped selling their wipeless end caps after the rule change in '86 then eh ?

Deerhurst

Kinda makes you wonder why SWD stopped selling replacement (wiped) end caps, and AWC stopped selling their wipeless end caps after the rule change in '86 then eh ?
It does because I order them directly from SilencerCo and their distributors for my Hybrid.

I do know extra wipes are considered suppressor parts. The end user is not "allowed" to repair their own can with wipes and such.

Deerhurst

Doesn't help it is so convoluted and if you ask every AFT person you'll get a different answer from every one of them.

And I meant wipeless end caps for the hybrid.

Loco

My neighbor does coke with an ATF agent. No lie. I've also seen them drunk as piss shooting at beer bottles in his yard.

Recently they were playing with a slidefire.

So, YMMV as far as the agent you deal with, but evidently there are some pretty lax/dumb ones. Luckily for them, I'm a "to each his own" type. Still pisses me off to see the ridiculous behavior, however.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
My neighbor does coke with an ATF agent. No lie. I've also seen them drunk as piss shooting at beer bottles in his yard.

Recently they were playing with a slidefire.

So, YMMV as far as the agent you deal with, but evidently there are some pretty lax/dumb ones. Luckily for them, I'm a "to each his own" type. Still pisses me off to see the ridiculous behavior, however.

They came to my place once looking for some items I purchased online…. One of them picked up a MAC ventilated barrel extension off the table and quietly asked her colleague if it was a suppressor…. o_O

She was literally around 3-400 pounds. Severely morbidly obese, nice lady… but way too big to be doing any kind of field work. She was sweating so badly I thought she was gonna have a stroke. Her gun was nearly inaccessible on her hip due to the amount of fat she had on her sides. I found it unbelievable that they would allow a federal agent to be in that kind of physical condition, especially one in the field that can potentially get involved in tactical situations with armed criminals…. No wonder they are knocking on doors in the suburbs looking for questionable gun accessories or 50 year old suppresser caps instead of chasing down all those glock switches in the ghetto.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter