Max-10/15 Firing Pin

pjm204

Sure, I could take it apart and figure this out for myself but maybe I can get the answer from one of you. :)
Is the firing pin on the Max-10/15 a standard AR firing pin? Mine is not broken or anything, I just want to install a 7.62x39 firing pin for a specific ammo I'd like to run reliably.

LawBob

I don’t know. But it compresses when the bolt rotates in battery..:
I’d check the max10/45 manual

pjm204

I don’t know. But it compresses when the bolt rotates in battery..:
I’d check the max10/45 manual
I'll probably just have to take it apart or call Lage. I didn't see anything in the manual about whether it is a stock firing pin or not.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Sure, I could take it apart and figure this out for myself but maybe I can get the answer from one of you. :)
Is the firing pin on the Max-10/15 a standard AR firing pin? Mine is not broken or anything, I just want to install a 7.62x39 firing pin for a specific ammo I'd like to run reliably.
It's a standard AR 15 firing pin that has been modified, shortened.

pjm204

It's a standard AR 15 firing pin that has been modified, shortened.
Thanks, I'm trying to get a pin with slightly longer protrusion so reliably ignite one specific ammo I have a lot of.

pjm204

I b
Sounds like monarch steel ammo with hard primers….
I believe what I have was loaded by Golden Tiger with 5.45 primers. I got it from SGAmmo years ago and bought a pretty good supply of it. It works perfectly in 5.56 ak's and works in AR's with the enhanced firing pins. I just leave those firing pins in for all ammo now as I have not had any issues with pierced primers on normal loads.

Deerhurst

As far as I know there is nothing special about 5.45 primers. They are just standard small rifle military primers. Military primers tend to be harder than general use primers. Basically a thicker cup.

I make my own 5.45 brass, draw 5.56 bullets to use for 5.45 and roll my own 5.45.

pjm204

As far as I know there is nothing special about 5.45 primers. They are just standard small rifle military primers. Military primers tend to be harder than general use primers. Basically a thicker cup.

I make my own 5.45 brass, draw 5.56 bullets to use for 5.45 and roll my own 5.45.

This ammo uses particularly hard primers. It was sold by the vendor as being loaded with primers meant for 5.45. I agree they should just be small rifle primers. I can only assume in this situation that these are particularly thick military primers. My 5.56 AK detonates them perfectly. A stock AR will fail to fire almost every round.

mtlcafan79

Isn't the heavy IRM spring supposed to help in situations like this? That would be an easy fix if so.

Deerhurst

This ammo uses particularly hard primers. It was sold by the vendor as being loaded with primers meant for 5.45. I agree they should just be small rifle primers. I can only assume in this situation that these are particularly thick military primers. My 5.56 AK detonates them perfectly. A stock AR will fail to fire almost every round.
They are just hard SR primers. I run all sorts of 5.45 through AKs and ARs. Enhanced firing pin usually takes care of all the hard primer issues.

If I remember right firing pin protrusion of the AKS74 (or really any AK) is greater than that of an AR.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter