Mm 23e

hfoster223

I have a 23e, been a love hate relationship, play with it a while. then back to safe, decided to mess with it again , anyway its full auto, i can get 5-10 round burst then jams with the 556 round brass having the side of the brass being riped apart with gun powder spilling out. Seems to not being lifting the round up high enough for the bolt to catch the rear of the cartridge and hitting the cartridge in the middle of the round. Wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and what the cure might be?

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
I haven’t heard of that issue before.
I’d def suggest calling Mike @ MM - I’m sure he can help you
even if you didn’t buy directly from him…
You should call rather than email him.

Def post here with a follow-up.

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
Unfortunately that’s your only choice. Send it back to him and call. Call again. He’s rude over the phone but your kinda stuck

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
I’ve had good interactions with MM, but I’ve also
purchased guns and had custom work done by him
so ymmv…

Try posting on hkpro as well

ig720

I've also bought a used a MM23 that had issues. I called him and he pretty much told me just send it in and he'll send it back in working order, just pay shipping. He even sent me a video of him test firing the gun before shipping it back to me and all was good.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Will TSC Mike Woodward in VA do work on these too?

I’ve heard TSC only works on factory HK
and my limited interactions with him support that…

If possible, I’d send your gun + sear/pack to MM
for diagnosis. I really think that is your best bet if he agrees
to look at it…. He has the expertise & parts to make his guns run
My guess is that your pack needs adjusted….

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
Pack needs adjusted….aka…he didn’t weld the shelf to the right height lol

If his pack works with other hosts, 99% of the time that’s the problem

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Pack needs adjusted….aka…he didn’t weld the shelf to the right height lol

If his pack works with other hosts, 99% of the time that’s the problem

FYI -
Shelves are different between all the semi 21/23e builders.
Nuge posted a thread here with pics a few years back…

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showt...s-I-Have-Known&highlight=Shelves+I+have+known

Also, MM suggested using a roller sear vs a friction sear on one of my DLO packs
To Improve function in 5.56 - seemed valid

Last edited:

har1340

What type of ammo are you shooting? I have a early MM21e/23e and have had zero issues. OP what is your bolt gap? And what LP are you using?

JoshNC

Will TSC Mike Woodward in VA do work on these too?

He worked on my friend’s mm23e and could not get it running. His gun had feed mech issues too. It crushed the cases. He sent it to Otte multiple times. It never functioned 100%. The final replacement feed mech from
MM seemed to run. There is a reason that so many people shoot steel case in these guns. The steel case is more resistant to being crushed in the feed mech.

Last edited:

JoshNC

What type of ammo are you shooting? I have a early MM21e/23e and have had zero issues. OP what is your bolt gap? And what LP are you using?

Early mm23e were built by Gerard Miller. Those guns seem to run well. Later guns are a roll of the dice.

hfoster223

Its been a year or so since I've messed with this gun, I did check the bolt gap, recalling it was fine, I'm thinking 0.020 going by memory. The gun doesn't have 1000 rounds on it since it was purchased new. I only recall running a 100 round belt through it once were it didn't misfeed much. Typically you get a 3 to 9 round burst then a round that has been struck midway by the bolt cutting into the brass.
I'm not sure what type of locking piece is used. The LP hasn't been changed since purchase. It is ejecting fine, when it is cycling correctly, which is not often. The trigger pack runs flawlessly in the gun that it was purchased with. I didn't really want to have the Tpack adjusted, which would affect the donor guns performance. Hoping someone else had similar experience with an easy fix. I've check hammer springs, ordered new barrel, cleaned, polished everything, used all types of ammo, steel case, etc., green tips seem to work best, but nothing works great. about ready to give up and leave it in the donor gun. Just have the 23E as a semi, the original semi tpack didn't work any better shooting singles.

JoshNC

Its been a year or so since I've messed with this gun, I did check the bolt gap, recalling it was fine, I'm thinking 0.020 going by memory. The gun doesn't have 1000 rounds on it since it was purchased new. I only recall running a 100 round belt through it once were it didn't misfeed much. Typically you get a 3 to 9 round burst then a round that has been struck midway by the bolt cutting into the brass.
I'm not sure what type of locking piece is used. The LP hasn't been changed since purchase. It is ejecting fine, when it is cycling correctly, which is not often. The trigger pack runs flawlessly in the gun that it was purchased with. I didn't really want to have the Tpack adjusted, which would affect the donor guns performance. Hoping someone else had similar experience with an easy fix. I've check hammer springs, ordered new barrel, cleaned, polished everything, used all types of ammo, steel case, etc., green tips seem to work best, but nothing works great. about ready to give up and leave it in the donor gun. Just have the 23E as a semi, the original semi tpack didn't work any better shooting singles.
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. Do you have any friends with German feed mech that you can try out?

hfoster223

JoshNC, I appreciate the feed back, sounds like my 23E is just like your friends. Adjusting trigger pack is not going to happen due to how well it works in the original gun. May try a binary trigger pack in the 23E just to make it a little more fun. HK just has to many moving parts. Great when they work, but trouble shooting it is above my pay grade. I'm not new to to the hobby, but the HK is complicated. I've gotten 1919a4 to run great, the little cousin 22LR Razorback upper to run like a sewing machine. Very few issues with the UZI, but was always an easy fix, but this 23E doesn't like the trigger pack I guess. Ashamed because of how expensive they are.

JoshNC

JoshNC, I appreciate the feed back, sounds like my 23E is just like your friends. Adjusting trigger pack is not going to happen due to how well it works in the original gun. May try a binary trigger pack in the 23E just to make it a little more fun. HK just has to many moving parts. Great when they work, but trouble shooting it is above my pay grade. I'm not new to to the hobby, but the HK is complicated. I've gotten 1919a4 to run great, the little cousin 22LR Razorback upper to run like a sewing machine. Very few issues with the UZI, but was always an easy fix, but this 23E doesn't like the trigger pack I guess. Ashamed because of how expensive they are.
It’s your feed mech that’s likely the big issue. You should ask Otte to swap the mech.

Timing a registered sear on the E series also seems to be a challenge. And can cause issues with timing of other hosts.

Another option is to buy one of the 11a1 kits and a BPP barrel, run it as mag fed 308.

Last edited:

smdub

UZI Talk Life Member
hfoster223,
x2. Sounds like your feed mech is the problem. where are you located?

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter