New AC556 first range trip

regalgseguy

Hi all. Just got my tax stamp for a Ruger AC556 blue folder. Gun is in excellent condition, I have the factory box and paperwork to go with it. I took it to an indoor range near me just to function check it and have a little (lot) of fun. I loaded up 3 factory 30rd mags and a factory 20rd with federal XM193. First few rounds were in semi and no issues. I then tried the three round burst feature a few times, again perfect function. I flipped the selector down to FA and ran the remaining 10 rounds down the pipe with perfect function. I completed the 110 rd trial with only one hiccup. While on FA and running the 30 rd mag I had a stoppage. The round was in the chamber but the bolt did not go into full battery. As I pulled back on the charging handle the unfired case stayed in the chamber as the extractor was not engaged with the case head. I tipped the barrel up and the case slid out on its own. The rest of the mag fired without incident, as did the last two 30 rounders. Other than the one round it was flawless. The rifle is just a world of fun. It's also VERY LOUD! Just wondering if I should install a Wolff Extra power recoil spring to not only tame the HOT XM193 but to also have a bit more force in chambering? I'm not an expert by any means but I'm guessing that the one failure was most likely related to a slightly under powered recoil spring? BTW the gun was cleaned and well lubed before range trip

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
One failure to eject on your first time shooting....

I certainly wouldn't throw parts at it or do anything just yet.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I would just replace the spring with a factory spring and go from there. They are cheap, try that first.

Use only factory mags.

Lastly, I would get some Wilson 1911 shock buffers and install one or two of them. One on the receiver side is the most important. Just make sure the weapons goes into battery with one installed. It’s a cheap investment to protect your receiver.
6-F11-BDF1-2-A90-463-B-9-D9-D-776942-A603-B2.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
As KickStand said, using only factory mags is important for reliability...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter