New Owners for UZI Talk Web Site

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
The Uzi Talk forums were started in late 2002 by Jeff Cook. The screen shot below shows what the entry page looked like four days after the site started, having a total of 207 visits during that time. We’ve come a long way since then! A few weeks later, I joined the administration team and helped run the site with Jeff until he left in 2006. I’ve run it since that time, and for nearly 20 years we’ve had a great time here. More than 20,000 people have joined the site and have made almost three-quarters of a million posts. During that time we’ve added new forums, done several software upgrades, had moderators come and go, bought and sold a lot of stuff, learned a lot of stuff, and had a few arguments along the way. A lot of friendships were made, both in the forums and in person. It’s been a fun place to hang out and enjoy our hobby.

After nearly 20 years, I’ve decided that it’s time for me to move on. The easiest thing for me would have been just pulling the plug and shut everything down, but we’ve got a good thing going here and it deserves to continue. I considered several options and I’m pleased to announce that this site is being handed over to two of the most capable guys I know for this job. Effective immediately, David and Andy Albert now own the entire UZI Talk site. If you don’t know their names, you certainly know the work they’ve done. David and Andy have run the sturmgewehr.com and machinegunboards.com sites for many years. They have a ton of experience managing gun forums and the technical expertise to ensure a long and successful future for this site. It’s a privilege to have these guys accept ownership of UZI Talk. You’ll soon see more activity from their users on the site (dalbert and aalbert).

How does this change in ownership affect you? Very little! The site continues on as it has and you’ll notice virtually no change. Over time, I’m sure David and Andy will start implementing some updates to ensure the site stays current with technology and with user interests. Their ability to do that is why I’m so excited to see them take over.

I want to thank chili17 and arch stanton for all the work they’ve done as moderators on the site for many years. They’ll continue as moderators. I also want to thank the UZI Talk supporters that have stepped up to support this site. It’s been a very successful program and it will stay in place for anyone that wants to continue supporting the site. Finally, thanks to all the active members who have made this an interesting place. You guys are great and I look forward to more discussion in the future. I’ll still be around, so you know where to find me.

Attachments

• Old UT screen shot.jpg
    Old UT screen shot.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 644

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Kudos for the choice of new owners.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I hope you stick around the site, Dave

Last edited:

Ben Dover

UZI Talk Life Member
Thx for all your hard work... it's a pleasure to know you. Viya Con Dios, Amigo...

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Thank you for the heads up, and thank you for all you have done!
Couple questions:
To order your book is it the same way?
And to become a Uzitalk supporter is it now paypal to one of the two gentlemen who are taking over?

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Couple questions:
To order your book is it the same way?
And to become a Uzitalk supporter is it now paypal to one of the two gentlemen who are taking over?

Yes, you can still order my book from the page in the library. That will stay. The supporter donations will go to me until this year's hosting costs are covered (they aren't yet), and then they'll go to the new owners. Thanks for considering it.

b_saan

Over time, I’m sure David and Andy will start implementing some updates to ensure the site stays current with technology and with user interests.

Does this mean someone will finally buy an SSL cert for the site? ;)

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
Dave,
Thanks for all the great years of UZI Talk!
I wish you nothing but the best with your new pursuits and that you have more free time. Maybe free time to visit AZ in early December for the 3-Day Small Arms Review Show like the good old days!
Speaking of which, here’s a blast from the past: UZI Talk T-shirts go to war in Iraq (2006):
49P27m7.jpg

ZnYCYtQ.jpg

-Bill

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member
Thank You!

Does this mean someone will finally buy an SSL cert for the site? ;)

Yes, it does. Hopefully very soon.

Sometime this year, we will migrate the site to our dedicated server that houses Sturm and Machinegunboards, along with a few other sites.

I need a little bit of time to get my bearings around the forum controls, since it's a different software type that runs Uzitalk. Once we've migrated the server, we'll start to look at what software updates are available.

Uzitalk and Machinegunboards have long had synergies. Dave and I had sort of a "gentlemen's agreement" that we would not add more overlapping boards, such as a Thompson board here, or an Uzi board on Machinegunboards. I had many requests at MGB to add M16, Mac, HK, and S&W Model 76 boards, but I didn't add them there because they are great boards here. There are a couple of overlapping boards, such as the Reising and Sten boards, but they were already in place when MGB was acquired in 2008.

I want to sincerely thank Dave for all his time and efforts to make Uzitalk what it is today, and for entrusting the future of the site with us. Thanks as well to all here who further the hobby through posting, reading, and learning. I also want to thank the moderators, past and present.

I registered on Uzitalk 11 months after it started, in November 2003. I have not posted often, but have always enjoyed coming here, usually perusing the Mac board. I don't own an Uzi, but I've owned NFA items for 34 years, many of which are represented by forums on this site. My collecting passions are around all things Thompson and Reising, and to just a bit lesser extent, Stens and Macs. I'm also a fanatic about paper items associated with firearms.

So thank you in advance for your patience and support as we welcome Uzitalk as a new "sister site" to Machinegunboards.com and Sturmgewehr.com.

Thanks Again!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
Hard to believe how fast the time goes.Since I joined I have probably only missed 15 days on here.It has been a great place to hang out and I hope it always remains that way. Than You Dave. Chadster.

firefighter

UZI Talk Life Member
Wow. This was a shock to read!! But, I totally understand. Time passes and life desires and directions change. We've shared a lot of the same passion over the years... AND the same Birthday! LoL.... Wish ya the best Dave and you know I'll stay in touch. Thanks for all you've done for the site and the Uzi community!!

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Sad to see you go Dave. Thanks again for everything... hope to see you around.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter