New Review of The Omega Man and His Model 76

ordnanceguy

Today the Armory Life (online in-house organ of the commercial Springfield Armory) published an article by Dr. Will Dabbs on the famous Omega Man motion picture and star Charlton Heston's use of the Model 76. It covers very familiar territory and, frankly, I saw nothing that was new to me about the Model 76. Nonetheless, if you are like me you can never get enough to read about the M76.

article-omega-man-smg-m76-9mm-2.jpg.webp

Here is the link to the article: https://www.thearmorylife.com/an-om...I_s&utm_content=206431854&utm_source=hs_email

Have fun.

Regards,
Charlie

ferndog1

UZI Talk Supporter
At the risk of being a little anal

I don't THINK that is an S&W 76, it looks more like an MK760; the grip and lack of S&W logo.

AND I'm pretty sure the Swedish K pictured is an A model which had a blue-black finish
Only the B models were painted green and had a non-removable mag well.

To credit the author... he never calls it the Smith & Wesson 76 or S&W 76 in his article just the "M76"

Suprasonic

Ferndog1: I don’t think the gun used in The Omega Man could have been an MK760. The movie was made in 1971, and MK Arms did not start building MK760s till the 1980’s. From what I’ve read, MK purchased the rights to the M76 in ‘82-83 from Smith & Wesson, and started building their copies. Before that, MK was making replacement parts for the SEAL teams as early as 1980.

https://smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2253

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I don't think ferndog1 is referring to the movie, just the firearm in the review.

Good information in the link though.

ferndog1

UZI Talk Supporter

ordnanceguy

Just a heads up here. The Omega Man is scheduled to run on Turner Classic Movies channel on Saturday, July 29 at 6:00 PM. If you have not seen it and are a Model 76 nut (like me) you should tune in.

Charlton%2BHeston%2B-%2BOmega%2BMan.PNG

Regards,
Charlie

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
Excellent film. I also enjoy the BAR with an affixed M3 Carbine infrared scope.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter