New uzi smg owner. Is it OK to be not impressed?

sausagemc

I have a group industries- vector uzi. It runs well, Jammed a few times, but it isn't really awesome like all the collectors told me. It is the same as an m11/9 just bigger. No real attachments or sweet uppers to use. Am I just a spoiled brat expecting too much or is it really a simplistic gun? I am hoping a cleaning will help but it runs like the spring is too weak. I'm sure they are cheap.

Edit: The FBI barrel was not chamfered like the factory barrel. 10 minutes with a deburring tool and Dremel to polish it and ball ammo is non-stop. Hollow Points, as I was warned are 80% at best. It is very consistent now. The 8 3/8" FBI barrel with an Octane 9 suppressor is insanely controllable.

Last edited:

Knife Wounds

I’ve been holding off on getting a m11 and instead wanting an Uzi. Sounds like I should reconsider haha. Congrats on your awesome gun. It’s got history, parts availability, and I bet it’s fun as hell to shoot. Did you really want an Uzi? Part of this hobby is getting what you want if you’re to be very satisfied. I bought an MP40 because that’s what I really wanted and to me its outstanding.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I ALWAYS take my GI / Vector Uzi to the range when exposing folks who have never fired a FA. It always works, is controllable and comfortable with the wood stock.

Caveat: My gun, like many GI, is picky about non-factory barrels probably due to slightly out-of-spec alignment. Light strikes caused by the bolt striking the top of the barrel is the diagnosis. Also....Remington and Federal bulk is not hot enough for my gun.

pmf

My Vector runs like a sewing machine. Only time it ever jammed is with hollow point ammunition. You can convert it to 45 or 22 if you can find a kit. I really like it in 9mm. You can speed it up with some buffers. It shoots any ball type ammunition 100%

sleepy

That’s the way I felt. I wanted a full auto Uzi since I was a kid. After getting my vector although it runs perfect it’s slow speed and 1 trick pony left me unimpressed. Like my macs better.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
It's ok not to be impressed but it isn't fair to blame the Uzi.

It's like saying this Miata is smaller than I expected. Didn't you drive it mate? The best advice I can give prospective new machinegun owners is to go rent what you think you want at a range before you buy it. In a lot of places you can do that for between $35-$50, and it can be really helpful because sometimes that scratches the itch and can save you a bundle! This has taught me the difference between "I want a minigun" and "I want to shoot a minigun". You never know if something will be worth acquiring until you've shot it.

Tastes vary, and really this is about finding what you enjoy, so try many things and see what speaks to you. I like to tinker, so it's Macs and M16s for me, but if you're a watch collector perhaps it's HK for you. To each their own and there is no need to feel constrained by objective measures.

Last edited:

CKxx

It's EXACTLY like an M11/9 if you have no idea what you're talking about.

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Agree w Gaujo it’s not the tits, it’s the tits you expect. I’ve shot Uzis on multiple occasions and it’s always a pleasure- but I already have a very capable MAC (which has since become more MACs and more capability). For coolness the Uzi can’t be beat but for hammering steel targets it’s hard to beat a Mac. So highly dependent upon what you expected the Uzi to be.

slimshady

I grew up during the late 70s and 80s, at least that's when the interest in guns kicked in. Part of wanting an UZI, for me anyway, is "nostalgia". Everyone from Chuck Norris to Magnum PI had an UZI to play with. The IMFDB has over 200 movies listed under the full size UZI alone, probably over a thousand all together if you count TV shows and all 3 variants, not to mention video games. One of the few common "affordable" SMGs left besides the MACs.

If pure performance is all you are interested in instead of owning and shooting a classic from your yute, an UZI probably isn't you first best choice. An MP5 is arguably better but costs more than a house these days. A MAC is much more versatile with all the uppers available, and a bit cheaper usually.

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
Different strokes for different folks.

I have a STEN Mk. II, two M2 Carbines, an Uzi Bolt gun, an MK760, and (God willing) a S&W 76. Rather surprisingly, the M2 Carbines seem to be the most liked of the lot. Maybe because they are the most expensive of the lot to shoot?

sausagemc

I have many registered guns, but I kept hearing that the Uzi was awesome and I agree it is smooth as can be, however I don't see it being much different than a grease gun. To be fair I am comparing it to technologically advanced guns (M-16 and the Aug are pretty tits).

sausagemc

I ALWAYS take my GI / Vector Uzi to the range when exposing folks who have never fired a FA. It always works, is controllable and comfortable with the wood stock.

Caveat: My gun, like many GI, is picky about non-factory barrels probably due to slightly out-of-spec alignment. Light strikes caused by the bolt striking the top of the barrel is the diagnosis. Also....Remington and Federal bulk is not hot enough for my gun.

Thanks for the advice!

sausagemc

I grew up during the late 70s and 80s, at least that's when the interest in guns kicked in. Part of wanting an UZI, for me anyway, is "nostalgia". Everyone from Chuck Norris to Magnum PI had an UZI to play with. The IMFDB has over 200 movies listed under the full size UZI alone, probably over a thousand all together if you count TV shows and all 3 variants, not to mention video games. One of the few common "affordable" SMGs left besides the MACs.

If pure performance is all you are interested in instead of owning and shooting a classic from your yute, an UZI probably isn't you first best choice. An MP5 is arguably better but costs more than a house these days. A MAC is much more versatile with all the uppers available, and a bit cheaper usually.

I many F/A, but no MP5. I missed one the other day. I'm 5 guns deep into the hobby. Uzi is cool due to nostalgia, but not many things to customize on it.

sausagemc

That’s the way I felt. I wanted a full auto Uzi since I was a kid. After getting my vector although it runs perfect it’s slow speed and 1 trick pony left me unimpressed. Like my macs better.

I'm not being a hater, but I am agreeing with your thoughts. I think I will keep the Uzi just to have the Movie gun trio on hand. My last gun on my list is an MP5, but I want a sear gun, not a registered receiver.

deadduck

I had an early (greenish) Group Industries.
Bought an 'Armpit' Holster rig for it. That was sweet.
I think a lot of guys get something then look into all the accessories that are available for it. (I used too) But as I got older I have put most the guns I've 'accessorized' back to original.Yes it was fun with all the bells and whistles but some are just classics on their own. Especially when the prices make some of them somewhat un-shootable and of lack of replacement parts. (FNC)

I see the Uzi as a great compact emergency weapon. You can get pretty accurate with the stock out but it was never a long distance shooter. It's heavy. It's a tank and it will take a ton of abuse.

I had a great time with mine and then I got married. Lost a few guns during that one. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her. R.I.P. Uzi....

pmf

Put a wood stock on it. Get some buffers and you can easily speed it up, just don't go beyond 1.4". You can get 45 acp kits for it. Its the AK-47 of smgs.

Roaster72

UZI Talk Supporter
Put a wood stock on it. Get some buffers and you can easily speed it up, just don't go beyond 1.4". You can get 45 acp kits for it. Its the AK-47 of smgs.

That quote above sums up most of my feelings on the matter.

I've got an M11 and all of the goodies. I've got a tungsten bolt, a Max11A, and a Max 11A/15. I've also got an Uzi. Side by side, the Mac feels like the cheap piece of shit it is. The Uzi feels like a real weapon of war.

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
I had a Mac 10 9mm then bought an UZI. I never could get the Mac to run 100%. Sent it to Sam he rebuilt the entire gun then I sold it. I wasted more time and money trying to get it run reliably. I was so frustrated with it I didn’t even shoot it after Sam rebuild it. I’m NOT badmouthing the Mac this is just my story I’m sure there’s plenty of people out there that are happy with theirs it’s just not for me. Now my UZI never misses a beat.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter