New Uzitalk Forum Software to Launch Soon

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member
Uzitalk Members,

My brother Andy has been hard at work updating the website software, and the test site has been forwarded to Uzitalk moderators for testing. You may ask why this needs to happen, and there are several reasons, but the biggest one is that we soon need to transition the site to our dedicated server. This is the same dedicated server that hosts Sturmgewehr.com and Machinegunboards.com. The server runs on a much newer software version that is incompatible with the current Uzitalk setup. The software that currently runs Uzitalk has been very stable, but it's old, and must be upgraded for the site to continue. As a result, we are transitioning legacy Uzitalk content to a new software type, and from what we have seen, almost all features of the current site software have been tested successfully on the new site software. It has just a slightly different look, but is quite similar. I'm very happy with the look of the new site, and want to sincerely thank my brother for the efforts he has put forth on this project, as well as RoverDave, who has continued to help with the transition.

We anticipate migrating to the new setup next Friday and/or Saturday, 12/9 and 12/10/22. Once the new site is up, your logins will remain the same. Our goal is to make everything as seamless as possible, but we ask for your patience in advance should there be any unanticipated issues.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

LotsaTiques

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for your time and efforts.......I'm sure it'll all work out fine. A few glitches here and there are to be expected but I'm sure it will be fine in the long run.

Appreciate the news and update.

David

deadduck

As long as your brother doesn't work for Cyberdyne Systems, then we're good.
If he does please let us know. I for one will need some more ammo.

aalbert

Administrator
I left Cyberdyne a few years back, when they dissolved the HR department and cut all medical.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
Will we need to do anything different? Go to another address? Re-log in or something?

aalbert

Administrator
Will we need to do anything different? Go to another address? Re-log in or something?

The site will be retaining the same URL.. It will force you to login again, using the same password you have on the existing site. Site itself will start to get "locked up" around 3p-6p on Friday, after which no new posting will be allowed (and most importantly anything that is posted, will not be retained through the migration). Upgrade will go into the evening - to the extent that Monster, Japanese Tea, or Cuban coffee takes me... Goal is to have the site up and running sometime Saturday. Given the current testing, I feel that to be realistic, though there will be a few extra steps that need to be done as part of the final transition.

Front page will look the same, though there will be a little "Welcome to New Home of UZI Talk" message at the top, so folks realize that they are at the new host, and once you enter the forums, there will be slightly different color combo.

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member
Uzitalk is now back up! Andy is doing some fine tuning at the moment. The feedback score is not yet functional. You may see a few minor changes today.

The old software seemed to know that it was about to be discontinued, and had some failures over the past couple of weeks. It was definitely the right time to make the change to the new softwares and to the new server host. We will also be doing a server upgrade sometime in January.

Many thanks to my brother Andy, who put in a lot of time during the wee hours of the morning to make this possible.

Here's a shameless plug, but if you'd like to help support the site, go on Amazon and buy my new book, "The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising." It can be found at the following link:

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

aalbert

Administrator
Thank you! Now I have time to go read a book that arrived yesterday (Shameless double plug, and thanks to my brother for autographed copy).

IMG_2938.JPG

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
updated site looks good & seems pretty fast

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Is there a way to get the older desktop view on an iPhone? Looked all around and resembles mobile-only. Don’t see a tab to change it.

aalbert

Administrator

MG34_Dan

Just curious, are you now using the same software as used on Sturmgewehr.com and Machinegunboards.com?

aalbert

Administrator
It is a different package than Sturm and Machinegunboards. The decision to use this package was based on retaining the general user experience / operation principle as the original UZI Talk, but with a platform that was actively getting updates, and had a better reputation for performance. There are no plans to convert this to the other format, or vice versa.

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
:D this place is now so much brighter i have to ware shades :cool:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter