OK Ruger experts - what does Mini-14/20GBK mean?

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I know the 20 = 20 round mag.

"GB" = Government Bayonet.

Does the "K" mean stainless?

Because if it does, then why does my letter from Ruger show it shipped as Mini-14/20GBK in November of 1990....but the gun is all blued receiver, barrel, etc.?

I'm really confused.

colt_model_01

Not too sure, but "K" means "short" in most firearm/ ammo designations. .380ACP was called 9mm Auto K in early M11 .380's In HK firearms, "K" means Short version of the original. MP5 is the standard version of the HK 9mm full size sub gun, like a short barrel HK94. The MP5K is the same gun, but basically an SP89 full auto.

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
I was told by a rep at Ruger that the "K" designated their stainless Mini's and AC's. If you call them, with the serial number, they will tell you the mfg. date and other information. I just called recently, and got the info on my AC. However, colt_model_01 is absolutely correct that "K" does also stand for short or "Kurtz." It could mean a short version of a gun, or refer to a cartridge, too. The M11/380 SMG I owned was marked "9mm" and "K" or 9mm short for 380 ACP.

ac556ruger

There is no proof GB means gov bayonet.

Its also believed it means government barrel.

I believe it means government barrel.

Ruger documentation does not provide a meaning.

K BEFORE indicates SS. K AFTER indicates folding model. F AFTER and K AFTER were officially used by Ruger on the folding models meaning the same thing being the folding model.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Basically kac556 means stainless. Ac556k blued 13". The location of the K is key.
With regards to a 13" folder, I think Ruger went back and forth. Ac556k or Ac556F could be a 13" folder.
It makes More sense in my option that GB stands for government barrel.
The barrels have a bayonet lug, a threaded barrel with a flash hider and a grenade launcher. So for me government bayonet doesn't make as much sense.

With a mini 14 20 GBk that should mean mini 14, 20 round mag, government barrel and stainless.
The k on the mini 14 would automatically mean stainless bc they didn't make a semi 13" SBR.

MY OPINION.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
There is no proof GB means gov bayonet.

Its also believed it means government barrel.

I believe it means government barrel.

Ruger documentation does not provide a meaning.

K BEFORE indicates SS. K AFTER indicates folding model. F AFTER and K AFTER were officially used by Ruger on the folding models meaning the same thing being the folding model.

Given the carbine in question is a blue semi with factory folder, standard carbine length barrel with lug and side mounted upper swivel the “K” at the end must mean folder.
Unfortunately the older factory folders I have were all given an “F” to designate folding stock.
Most confusing.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Heard from Ruger Customer Service AND the folks who produce the factory letters. Short story - they goofed, my 181-sereis GB is correct as is and they will send me a letter that shows what their records actually show: 1979 Mini-14/20GB.

Something to keep in mind if you have a Ruger letter that seems off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter