Pistol project

Jones

Thanks Eric,
After trying and figuring out the geometry, I reversed the cocking knob back to the factory orientation.
On backwards gave a more distinctive finger grip but was pulling up on the outside "e"clip that holds things together.
Lose that and cocking becomes near impossible.

thumbnail_IMG_1558.jpg

Jones

Been extra busy at work but I've finally tracked down the last of the "accessories" on my shopping list;
Pistol sight adjusting tool, OEM pistol mags (not Uzi Pro), a well worn manual in the factory hard case all add to "the look".
Pristine is neat but I figured a 40 year-old pistol should look its age. A light buffing with a Scotch-Brite pad brought out the highlights.
Shoots and cycles good, eats everything but hollow points-- who could ask for more?

1690564570945.jpeg

Last edited:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Came out nice.

You put lots of dedication and work went into that build.

I went the easy route and bought one a few years back.

Jones

Ahh, you rich kids and your neat toys. If I could have found one I could afford, I probably would have done the very same thing, Root.

I've been working on obsolete stuff so long that I just think in terms of "OK, now where did I put that piece of bar stock...? It oughta make a good-- name the part."
The Gatling gun in the "Other Firearms Talk section / Ultimate Kit Build" is also one of mine.
A few finishing and patina tricks come in handy when building some of these retro projects too... or making replacement parts for an original.
A new part on an old piece can stand out like a fish in a tree.

Last edited:

ericthered

UZI Talk Supporter
Ahh, you rich kids and your neat toys. If I could have found one I could afford, I probably would have done the very same thing, Root.

Lol! I think you need to take a good hard look in the mirror when you talk about rich kids and rich kid toys! I was already getting a slight chuckle when you were building your pistol and you just whipped out a couple of custom machined parts... or I was envious... not sure which lol

Jones

Thanks Eric but it's all smoke and mirrors. You're just saying that because you haven't seen what a good machinist can do.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
My AA pistol wasn't much more then a UZI PRO 2 years ago.
I was 3rd in line for it when I sent the email .
Low & behold about 5 weeks later got a email back the other two buyers fell through.
Paid less then 2k after shipping & transfer.

Kinda how I got my desert eagle component package.
Was looking for a classic UZI pistol, couldn't find one with the 3200 I put aside, then those desert eagle briefcase component systems came up for limited run and were only 3100 .
Much cheaper then buying the gun and uppers separately.

I have machines just not sure if I'm a "good" machinist or not LOL!

I do however make all my own broken end mills & lathe cutters.
a lot of times I make my own scrap metal too!

Jones

I know what you mean, Root. A lot of prototyping is visual. I've got several versions of a bunch of different parts that didn't look quite right once they were finished and installed... too long/too short, too wide/not wide enough.
The beauty of a scrap metal collection (mountain) is that you can still keep working-- just making smaller and smaller parts.
Switch to carbide end mills and lathe tools like I did; that way, when you break one, you and your pocketbook REALLY feel it.

The trick to being a good machinist is in not believing you're a good machinist. That's when you decide you know it all.
With 55+ machinist's years under my belt, last year I was shown a machining trick I'd never seen before.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter