ProMag Uzi 45 acp magazines -- do they work?

b_saan

In a full auto 45 acp converted uzi?

Not very well in my experience. I have a bunch of factory 16 rounders and a GG lower with a crap load more GG mags and haven't had any issues with either. The GG lower is the way to go IMO if you can find one.

Garrett

The Promags have worked well with the semi-auto .45 bolt I currently have for my Group Uzi (yes, I got in on the BXC full auto bolts. Looking forward to trying one out). They also run well full auto in the Reising with an adapter sleeve.

I agree, the grease gun lower is the way to go if you can find one. But I don’t know if anyone currently making them. I lucked out and found a used one a few years ago.

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
PMF,

Clear your mail box. Tried PM'ing you back.

The Promag 45 mags work ok, just don't load them to full capacity.
Email me with your order request. barrelxchangeATaol.com

Troy

pmf

Hey Troy — what’s up with the 45 conversion?

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
I still have some full size 45 bolts, but getting to the end of the run. About 5 left.
Been busy running barrels and focusing on the Mini Uzi heavy bolts.

PM me or email: barrelxchangeATaol.com

Troy

pmf

I sent you an email. And a check. Please respond.

pmf

Indeed. Appreciate the quick response. This guy is a gem.

Slowmo

Is there a source for full-auto spec .45 barrels these days? All I see are semi-auto spec barrels. I'm interested in a .45 bolt, but it doesn't do me much good without the barrel to go with it.

Also, does anyone know what the issue is with the Promags? If they don't operate well at full capacity, sounds like the spring could be the problem. I wonder if a stronger spring could be sourced from somewhere else and crammed in there?

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
Slowmo,

I make the 45 barrels. Bolts are ready to ship. Barrels run in batches. (I turn them manually)
Have 6 in the works now. Should have them done next week.

$800 shipped for bolt and barrel if you are patient to wait for the barrel. ( I do have a regular job, this is hobby stuff)

Last edited:

pmf

Got my bolt and barrel this weekend. Looks nice.

Hey Troy — do I use a standard 9MM spring and guide with it, or do I need something 45 specific? Maybe a little stronger?

Operator45

Is there a source for full-auto spec .45 barrels these days? All I see are semi-auto spec barrels. I'm interested in a .45 bolt, but it doesn't do me much good without the barrel to go with it.

Also, does anyone know what the issue is with the Promags? If they don't operate well at full capacity, sounds like the spring could be the problem. I wonder if a stronger spring could be sourced from somewhere else and crammed in there?

As with any mags - most notable surplus, but sometimes new - sometimes everything is not cleaned up inside after manufacture.

I took my promags apart, used solvent and a stiff brush, and completely cleaned them inside. Then Tri-Flow (worked beautifully on everything I used it on while serving with 2AD), then reassembled.

I did not notice any issue with spring tension, but I assume a high-reliability spring kit might be a good thing if someone made them.

Probably not a deep enough market. While I've taken a mandrel and custom wound a spring (old Bill Holmes follower), I have zero interest in doing so these days. Since the body is narrowed towards the feed lips, not gonna take an Uzi 9x32 spring and get it to work either. But by all means take the internal measurements and see if there's some spring that would work!

Note: I don't shoot full auto, and my promags are range and training mags, not for EDC or some serious purpose. YMMV. (smile)

PS: I bought three Uzi Pro 16inch barrels from BX. INCREDIBLY happy with them! Highly recommend his work!

Buckxo

Mine work just from in mine.

Very respectfully,
Buck

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter