recommended options for re-bbl AC556F

SSBiggun

Since I don't think Ruger is an option anymore. Who would my fellow RKI's recommend?

SSBiggun

So I followed this thread http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?91830-Reliability-problem-with-AC556F&daysprune=365 hoping to pick up some info. I inherited this AC556 when my brother passed in 2009. It was never really reliable enough being one of the former Ohio state PD guns from Leo in the early 2000's. With LC XM193 and IMI 55gr I usually get 1 or 2 malf's per mag. I have a 184 series mini too and was thinking about trying to swap bolts /slides/ etc.. I did buy a new recoil spring and its about 2" longer than the original one and the thing wont run at all with it in. Today I swapped springs with the 184 mini. and I'll try it this week to see. SxS the extractor looks a little more worn than the mini's. I have 10 each of factory Ruger 20 & 30 rd mags and cannot nail it down to any specific mag.Mini & AC-556.jpg

MG34_Dan

Have the gas system checked. The gas plug and/or gas port hole in barrel is probably filled with crud. Any Ruger smith who knows his stuff can do this.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Check the headspace and the gas system. I highly doubt it needs a new barrel but I could be wrong.

Ruger MIGHT re-barrel it. They are out of the K barrels; therefore, it would be an 16 or 18 inch barrel.
You could always cut it down to 13 inch.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
If accuracy is OK, I would look to gas system rather than barrel for issue. If you are getting key holes or horrible accuracy change the barrel, but probably gas port as Dan said.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
By chance, did your brother run .22lr through it? As in a Ciener .22lr conversion kit? As others have stated clogged up gas port is likely the problem. There is a small bushing that the gas is transferred from the barrel to the gas block through. This is a place where excessive carbon builds up on these rifles (especially if .22lr is shot in them)...

SSBiggun

No 22lr's. Brother never had a kit. I did the Capt Monty Mendenhall with the 1/8 & 1/16 drill bit and other than the gas pipe being a little cruddy on the outside the gas system was open. Unfortunately my truck is getting repaired so I haven't been able to head out to the desert to thoroughly diagnosis it and document with pics. (i'm not about to drive my Camaro out there). Hopefully by this weekend I'll be able to do a follow up of testing . Stay Tuned!

SSBiggun

So I went out shooting yesterday and here is what its doing. Most all shooting was done with factory Ruger 20 and 30 rd mags. 1st mag had 1 FTE with new round partially stripped but case didnt eject fully. Cleared it and ran rest of mag no issue. second mag ran with no issue. 3rd mag jammed every rd. empty case ejected and fresh rd partially fed with base of casing ABOVE bolt ,it did it 3 times in a row . I removed mag and marked it and set it aside. I swapped slides and bolts with 184 series mini and grabbed 4th mag. 4 rds semi were fine and the emptied FA no issue. retrieved 3rd mag and emptied it with no issue. . I then had my son fire mags 5 6 and 7 with no issue. last mag was a black warrior 40 full of some reloads and had 1 FTF that I'm sure was mag related. Seems it has something to do with the bolt /slide. BTW the AC556 bolt and slide ran fine when installed in the 184. Other than the 1 mag of reloads all the ammo was IMI 193 and South African PMP head stamp. I have come to the conclusion the bbl is ok.

Last edited:

SSBiggun

I ran another 80 rds yesterday IN 4 20rd mags without a hiccup using PMC 55gr. using the mini 184 ser bolt. looks like its an ejector issue.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter