Remington 7 1/2 primers being discontinued?!

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Just received an email from Midway:

Discontinued Product Notification

You requested we notify you when this product was back in-stock; unfortunately the product has been discontinued and will no longer be available from MidwayUSA.
Remington Small Rifle Bench...

Remington Small Rifle Bench Rest Primers #7-1/2 Box of 1000 (10 Trays of 100)

Product#: 120656
$35.99

Perhaps related to the bankruptcy sale and how all the parts ended up being distributed to other companies.....but dang it, I hate to see another source of primers disappearing. Hopefully this doesn't mean a loss in commercial production but is more of a branding thing.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Sold a few thousand primers for $200 per K and shipping. I’ll keep selling. Sellers market.

They will go down again, it will be a while but damn the money is good right row.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I received an email newsletter from a vendor in Oregon and this was included in the letter:

My suppliers tell me do not expect any availability for at least a year. They are no longer taking backorders on ammo, bullets, powder, and primers.

Given his Newsletter is dated 'December 2020' I'm not sure if he means 'sometime in late 2021'...or worse, 2022. The fact that virtually no retailers are actually taking backorders makes me think 2022.

Bret

Two years and it will change from a sellers market to a buyers market. Also, foreign producers are out there. I'd bet that that Remington primer manufacturing equipment ends up at another manufacturer's facility.

slimshady

IIRC, Vista Outdoors wound up with the Remington ammo business. Vista owns Federal, CCI, etc. There were only 4 domestic primer makers, Remington being one of them. I dunno if Vista simply walked into the working plant and said "Everybody keep doing what you were doing, the only thing that will change right away is who signs your paychecks" or if they bought an empty building full of equipment and stock and now have to get it up and running again, or even relocate it. The former means at least a current production rate is maintained, the latter means a quarter or so of the available primers are gone for X months.

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
Sold a few thousand primers for $200 per K and shipping. I’ll keep selling. Sellers market.

They will go down again, it will be a while but damn the money is good right row.

What?? I’ve got a jillion primers. If someone wants to pay $200 per 1k I’ll sell them all tomorrow

Bret

Oddly enough, that doesn't seem out of line considering that 5.56x45 is selling for about $700 to $800 per case. It will come back down.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
How do you ship primers these days without a commercial account? I have some BR small rifle primers that I have no real need for. At those prices it might be worth selling.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Not sure you need a commercial account...but shipping is expensive. $35-$40 via Fedex regardless of 100 or 5,000. Try Armslist, face-to-face local.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter

Holy crap man, that's insane! Smart on you for selling. Too many people I know have 2 lifetimes of stuff and never sell.

slimshady

Someone over on the AKFiles posted they drove by the Remington ammo plant and the parking lot was full. So I guess they are operating as of today, anyway.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
A message from federal, Cci, Speer and Remington. This should answer a few questions.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KIgvoJKovIg&feature=share

It surprises me how much manual labor is still required in making ammo. I watch a lot of those 'how it's made' shows and I swear making candy is more automated than making ammo. And that factory seems to be straight out of the 1980's.

I guess margins are thin enough that they can't support the costs of modernization / expansion / automation.

For the past 4-5 years I've suspected that CCI Minmag 36 gr and Federal Champion 36 gr were one and the same...given the corporate structure that seems very likely.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter