Repro MAC mufflers

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
It's just as much about the pitch as the sound level (dB). Many dB meters don't read pitch. I'll trade a couple of dB for a few hundred Hz most any day of the week, provided both were hearing safe. If you're going to measure something, you should really measure it and not just report the sound level in dBs. Otherwise, it like reporting the temperature without humidity. 90 deg at 90% humidity feels a whole lot worse than 95 deg at 35% humidity in my experience.
I fully understand what your saying but my post is about comparing sound levels side by side. Humidity is a moot point.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
I fully understand what your saying but my post is about comparing sound levels side by side. Humidity is a moot point.
Comparing DBs is going to tell you just that, not how a can sounds

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
I care about whether it's going to damage my hearing. I wonder why silencer central spent so much money for the proper equipment if it really does not matter?

OUR SUPPRESSOR DB LEVEL COMPARISON TEST​

TESTING METHOD AND EQUIPMENT​

Silencer Central uses only military grade test equipment for accurately measuring sound. This kind of gear is extremely expensive and only made in a few precision labs around the world. We spared no expense. After investigating the finest sound measuring equipment, we assembled our sound testing lab with the following meters and devices:

• Brüel & Kjær (B&K) Impulse Precision Sound Level Meter Type 2209
  • B&K Condenser Microphone ¼” type 4136
  • B&K Pistonphone type 4220
  • B&K ½” Pre-amplifier
  • B&K barometer
  • Plus various approved adapters and fitters.

okpud

UZI Talk Supporter
I care about whether it's going to damage my hearing. I wonder why silencer central spent so much money for the proper equipment if it really does not matter?

OUR SUPPRESSOR DB LEVEL COMPARISON TEST​

TESTING METHOD AND EQUIPMENT​

Silencer Central uses only military grade test equipment for accurately measuring sound. This kind of gear is extremely expensive and only made in a few precision labs around the world. We spared no expense. After investigating the finest sound measuring equipment, we assembled our sound testing lab with the following meters and devices:

• Brüel & Kjær (B&K) Impulse Precision Sound Level Meter Type 2209
  • B&K Condenser Microphone ¼” type 4136
  • B&K Pistonphone type 4220
  • B&K ½” Pre-amplifier
  • B&K barometer
  • Plus various approved adapters and fitters.

#1 Reason? To sell you stuff. It's called marketing... Proper equipment is a relative term. With <$300 worth of equipment, you can get measurements within 2% accuracy. Or you can pay 10x as much for an extra 1%.

#2 No one said dBs don't matter, just that it is not the only factor to consider. It doesn't tell you how a can sounds, just the amplitude of the sound pressure. <135 dB is generally considered "hearing safe", with 140 being the OSHA limit without protection for impact noise. If one suppressor measured a peak pressure of 126 dB @ 2900 Hz vs another that measured at 128 dB @ 2300 Hz, the 2nd one will most always sound better to most people. Both are considered hearing safe w/o additional hearing protection.

Last edited:

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
#1 Reason? To sell you stuff. It's called marketing... Proper equipment is a relative term. With <$300 worth of equipment, you can get measurements within 2% accuracy. Or you can pay 10x as much for an extra 1%.

#2 No one said dBs don't matter, just that it is not the only factor to consider. It doesn't tell you how a can sounds, just the amplitude of the sound pressure. <135 dB is generally considered "hearing safe", with 140 being the OSHA limit without protection for impact noise. If one suppressor measured a peak pressure of 126 dB @ 2900 Hz vs another that measured at 128 dB @ 2300 Hz, the 2nd one will most always sound better to most people. Both are considered hearing safe w/o additional hearing protection.
Interesting. Can you show me one?

It's not as simple as marketing. The US military required quantified numbers and requirements and the B&K 2209 was the required equipment even though it was not in production.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
And the reason people don't care is probably because they don't have a meter.
You can download free sound meter apps for your phone. May not be scientific but it should at least give a meaningful relative measure. Not suggesting a manufacturer do this, but I've done that before testing 2 cans to see which is quieter. I supposed after reading okpud's input I should say I used it to measure amplitude, if not frequency.

Last edited:

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
So..........you actually
You can download free sound meter apps for your phone. May not be scientific but it should at least give a meaningful relative measure. Not suggesting a manufacturer do this, but I've done that before testing 2 cans to see which is quieter. I supposed after reading okpud's input I should say I used it to measure amplitude, if not frequency.

So you mean a Mr. Microphone?

Real manufacturers want to know Real Data.....Not just seat of the pants...Nonfactual Data

This sounds just like bench racing....full of testosterone no facts just I know more than you.

I have been quite respectful and have been constantly shot down by know it all's with big ears.

Amplitude / Frequency 😮

chili17

Staff member
So..........you actually

So you mean a Mr. Microphone?

Real manufacturers want to know Real Data.....Not just seat of the pants...Nonfactual Data

This sounds just like bench racing....full of testosterone no facts just I know more than you.

I have been quite respectful and have been constantly shot down by know it all's with big ears.

Amplitude / Frequency 😮
Nah, you just want to be spoon fed and not listen (pun!). That's fine too. The wonderful world of the internet :)

Lets get the thread back on track. If anyone is so inclined they can start another thread in the suppressor section.

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
Nah, you just want to be spoon fed and not listen (pun!). That's fine too. The wonderful world of the internet :)

Lets get the thread back on track. If anyone is so inclined they can start another thread in the suppressor section.
It really sounds like you live in a fantasy world. You don't have any kind of comparative metering devices, much less a B&K meter and want to belittle me. Do you build suppressors? Common on do you? Have you ever tested any suppressor? With or without equipment other than a Mr. micro phone? Have you had your ears calibrated? You sell a few suppressors here or there and you act like you know everything?

I spent $1200.00 to have my B&K microphone calibrated and you want to use a free app on your phone.

I build 100% titanium suppressors and test!

Again I have tried to be respectful and have been shot down continually.

Last edited:

chili17

Staff member
LOL, this obviously hit a hot button with you. Relax, its OK. Start a new thread so this one can get back on track

LawBob

I listen to sports radio the Ticket in AM, even though it’s broadcast in crystal clear HD on the FM version. I like talk radio in AM.

LawBob

Why not update to modern baffles? Original internals do not make it more desirable under any circumstance I can think of?

I think I would use my own titanium baffles.

View attachment 37836
Wheee are you located. State.

Also, can you dip titanium? Or tumble them with steel pins (prob not steel but perhaps brass?)

Cjnowell72

Hey gents @MitchWerbellsGhost87 told yall had copied a link to my post in sturm. If you have any questions just ask.

For those asking about the end cap wipes i have changed that material to 90a durometer polyurethane. It last much much longer than the original neoprene which you would shoot through about would last but about 50 rds. Some variants actually had two sets of wipes. Those cans that i have received in for a re-core i replace that set with an extra baffle instead. Making it more reliable as you dont have to disassemble your can any more to replace some wipes at the beginning of the 2nd stage.

With original Mac,swd,rpb cans sellin for 1500 on gb nowadays id say $750 is a pretty darn good deal. I do have a video of me shooting a transferable 9mm with one of my cans one it. I will see if i can post it up or i can text it to anyone interested. Warning it is poor quality but audio is good. Didnt convert from google phone to apple very well. Thanks gents and have a good one.

Pic of the first three we made

Attachments

• 178008FB-BA73-4914-A1C7-CE4B945C2CA9.jpeg
    178008FB-BA73-4914-A1C7-CE4B945C2CA9.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 7

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
Hey gents @MitchWerbellsGhost87 told yall had copied a link to my post in sturm. If you have any questions just ask.

For those asking about the end cap wipes i have changed that material to 90a durometer polyurethane. It last much much longer than the original neoprene which you would shoot through about would last but about 50 rds. Some variants actually had two sets of wipes. Those cans that i have received in for a re-core i replace that set with an extra baffle instead. Making it more reliable as you dont have to disassemble your can any more to replace some wipes at the beginning of the 2nd stage.

With original Mac,swd,rpb cans sellin for 1500 on gb nowadays id say $750 is a pretty darn good deal. I do have a video of me shooting a transferable 9mm with one of my cans one it. I will see if i can post it up or i can text it to anyone interested. Warning it is poor quality but audio is good. Didnt convert from google phone to apple very well. Thanks gents and have a good one.

Pic of the first three we made

I think the ones with 2 sets of wipes were the SWD "HE" cans .....

Odd that you should mention replacing the 1st wipe ...... I owned one years ago that had an additional baffle, and only the wipe in the endcap ....must have been a mod from decades ago.

Do you think that "clipping" the baffles in one of these would have any appreciable impact on noise reduction?

Cjnowell72

I think the ones with 2 sets of wipes were the SWD "HE" cans .....

Odd that you should mention replacing the 1st wipe ...... I owned one years ago that had an additional baffle, and only the wipe in the endcap ....must have been a mod from decades ago.

Do you think that "clipping" the baffles in one of these would have any appreciable impact on noise reduction?
Well that wipe would only last so long before it would burn up as well as the second one. Replacing it with a baffle isnt as quite as having a new wipe but it will last a whole lot longer than a piece of neoprene.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter