South African R series of weapons information thread (lots of pictures)

adipose

What are you looking for?

Just a gas tube only?

I can ask him for you; since I talk to him a lot.

adipose

According to my sources, Denel did a run of 1000 R5 tubes and are doing the finishing at this time.

They'll be available late next week from Nobelteq apparently.

Wild card; that would be the way to go!

WCC

Just thought you guys may enjoy some pics of my original South African R4/5 bayonet. I'm only aware of two others in civilian hands. It is believed that a 1000 of these were made and 900 accepted, but thus far nobody knows where they are apart from a handful believed to be owned by collectors.
Mine has both a serial number on the bayonet as well as the release catch, the latter being either 07 or 071, with the last digit possibly partially stamped. It looks to be in good condition with only minor use, perhaps parade use?
image_zps9yedxxzn.jpeg

image_zps8t9gxvvw.jpeg

hagar

Very neat bayonet! It should fit an AR15 as well, if the R4 has the same bayonet lugs as a Galil.

lcastillo

WCC, You must be proud at this time to own such a hard to find item as a R4 bayonet! Did the seller know what he had when he sold it to you? Besides for money why would a collector sell such a scarce bayonet. The only other bayonet I have seen had the bayonet release latch in a stainless or white metal. Your release latch is in black which is the first time I have seen in this variation. Does your bayonet have the spacer sleeve (made of light gauge metal) for the flash hider that mounted inside of the bayonets tube handle? Thank you for sharing pictures of your bayonet with us.

raexcct2

Mr F. it is my pleasure i'm glad to hear you came right, there are always little gems that come up from time to time on BOB.

Mrf2, thanks for the posts and the pics. The latest R4/LM4 flash hiders that i have seen coming out don't have the grenade spring fitted.

Attached is a pic of the R/LM gas tubes for comparison. R4 is below, R5 in the middle and R6 on top.

attachment.php

Thanks for the picture. Do you have the dimensions (length) of the R6 gas tube?

Ady

Carrying on with the gas tube discussion. I came across a thread on a South African forum and asked the original poster (Peter) if i could post his picture of the gas tube on his LM on this forum.

You will see the gas tube doesn't have the enlarged ring, but is a straight cut gas tube with a difference. There appears to be a nipple type protrusion on the gas tube where the enlarged ring would be, this will stop the lever on the front handguard holder assembly from disengaging.

WILDCARD

Carrying on with the gas tube discussion. I came across a thread on a South African forum and asked the original poster (Peter) if i could post his picture of the gas tube on his LM on this forum.

You will see the gas tube doesn't have the enlarged ring, but is a straight cut gas tube with a difference. There appears to be a nipple type protrusion on the gas tube where the enlarged ring would be, this will stop the lever on the front handguard holder assembly from disengaging.

Ady it seems like your pic is not working and not showing.

Lou's R6 gas tube

Lou is that the R6 tube you had intended to have fabricated by having a washer added, turned, and finished? I know that was once a thought.
Or is that a real R6 tube?

lcastillo

Lou is that the R6 tube you had intended to have fabricated by having a washer added, turned, and finished? I know that was once a thought.
Or is that a real R6 tube?
Machinegun Messiah, The R6 tube was a original that I found in South Africa. The machinist knocked me on my ass when he told me that to modify the gas tube with the flare would take 2 hours @ $100 per hour to do it. It was not worth it to me. Shortly after that I sold my R6 parts kit because in Iowa you can not get a SBR. So as my luck goes after I sold the R6 parts kit the real R6 gas tube was offered to me for sale. It took me 4 1/2 years to find it. Such is life!

Wow! That is often the way it goes, lol
. . . I always felt that to accomplish that R6 lip-flange, it would be possible to do a thick weld line around the circumference and then machine that weld down to R4/R6 lip-flange dimensions. Maybe I'm wrong? But it sounds good.
. . . Any way, congrats on the find. Nice!!

AspektZA

Have gotten wind that Nobelteq has recently restocked on parts.

Hoping to get my R5 tube and handguard retainer in a few weeks.

New production tube on left, old stock on right:

IMG-20161203-WA0004.jpg

Last edited:

AspektZA

A quick comparison to the SA parts and IMI:

IMG-20161230-WA0000.jpeg

R5 gas tube is new 2016 production, and has a slightly different bevel on the flared end. Also the small spring at the dovetail portion seems to be omitted.

lcastillo

Have gotten wind that Nobelteq has recently restocked on parts.

Hoping to get my R5 tube and handguard retainer in a few weeks.

New production tube on left, old stock on right:
IMG-20161203-WA0004.jpg
Cheers, AspektZA did you get the R5 gas tubes direct from Nobleteq like that? Do you know if they did the correct R4 and R6 gas tubes with additional supply? Thanks Lou

AspektZA

Cheers, AspektZA did you get the R5 gas tubes direct from Nobleteq like that? Do you know if they did the correct R4 and R6 gas tubes with additional supply? Thanks Lou

Lou,

They were purchased on my behalf by a relative from Nobelteq.

Didn't ask after R4/6 tubes, but the safe assumption is 'no'. I can see what I can dig up, but it's unlikely.

Denel did a <500 run of R5 tubes to last them until 2020, when a new rifle will be selected. Probably.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter