Speed up a Sterling

m37aswell

Whats the story on increasing the rate of fire on my Sterling? I have 2 extra bolts that I can play with, I am wondering about taking some weight off. If so how much?

Super Dak©

My MK-V is noticeably faster than my MK-IV (still not real fast, but not slow like the MK-IV). It has a lighter bolt and a single spring (obviously to compensate for the pressure that's reduced by the "bleed holes" in the bbl). It also included a rubber buffer, but IIRC it didn't run with the buffer installed. But adding an extra buffer to my MAC M-10 (.45) sped it up, not that it needed it. Maybe try a rubber buffer in the MK-IV? They don't hit a buffer like the MACs, but it would increase the spring pressure a little? Plus it's cheap and removable.
Otherwise, I'd just talk to John Andrewski or Andy Blaschic. They might have the info, and either is probably able to lighten a bolt. JMHO FWIW.

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
I do not have the specifications for making a "speed bolt", but I believe it called for the removal of as much as five ounces of material from the bolt body, leaving the bearing surfaces unmolested. Bronze bolts are ideal for this, as they are far easier to machine; unfortunately they have become fairly rare and expensive. The standard STEN bolt is extremely hard, so it will take some quality carbide cutters to machine.

John Andrewski could certainly do it, but I know he is very backlogged with work right now. Andy Blaschic I am unfamiliar with.

DINK

First thing I would try is a nylon spacer in the back of the receiver to restrict the travel of the bolt to the rear. The shorter the distance it travels, the faster the cyclic rate is. Nylon (or some other plastic) is cheap and easy to work with. The final design might be rubber os some material with more shock absorption.

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
Years ago I sped up a Sten by making a spacer and rubber buffer to shorten the bolt travel. It worked well. Im sure the same can be done with a Sterling.

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
I wouldn't advise it ..... the "locking "ring" brazed to the end of the receiver ( and endcap) on Sterlings doesn't respond well to being hammered by the bolt....

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter