Sterling Ads - 1983

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
I found a few ads from 1983 that I thought you guys might enjoy. Here's the mark 6:

Attachments

• ster1.jpg
    ster1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 4,990

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
And the MK-7:

Attachments

• sof 1983-12 sterling small.jpg
    sof 1983-12 sterling small.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 4,986

clossinpdx

MK 6/7 ads

I know it's likely a guarded secret, but I'd sure love to know where a person bumps into items like these. Wonderful !! Note the barrel mt. at the reciever end, I wonder if they were deliberately depicting the MK4 for heritage purposes, or if it is in fact a MK 8 gun? Neat pics....

P7M13

UZI Talk Life Member
clossinpdx said:
I know it's likely a guarded secret, but I'd sure love to know where a person bumps into items like these. Wonderful !! Note the barrel mt. at the reciever end, I wonder if they were deliberately depicting the MK4 for heritage purposes, or if it is in fact a MK 8 gun? Neat pics....

The ad states in the bottom left that the gun is "Shown with display barrel". The MK6 came with a bolt on receiver end identical to the MK4 for use with the display barrel. Very similar in concept to the UZI dummy barrel.

clossinpdx

display bbl.

As you've seen on the forum, I have a MK 6 to sell, do the display barrels and their accompanying mount ever surface in the likely places?

P7M13

UZI Talk Life Member
clossinpdx said:
As you've seen on the forum, I have a MK 6 to sell, do the display barrels and their accompanying mount ever surface in the likely places?

VERY rarely do MK6 parts surface

L34A1

clossinpdx said:

I have a Mk4 nose cap for sale that is used with the fake barrel. I used a piece of Delrin machined to barrel specs for the fake barrel.

nfafan

And amazingly....

A dealer I knew couldn't sell the Mk6 he had for the $800.00 he wanted. Back in '83, that was a lot of ducats for a 9mm carbine.
He sat on his for at least 2 years. I sold one for $700.00+change and reluctantly kept one for myself. Now I'm glad I did.

Wished I'd have spent the outrageous sum of $800. on the semi FAMAS that was available at the time, too.

dezenter

a good day to u guys! im a newbie in this forum, although i have been reading your posts when time allows. I have been looking for some answers in your forum but have not been able to find an answer, so here goes... i was given a sterling by my dad which he has kept for as long as i can remember. it's an original L34a1. it's in pristine condition, semi-auto and with full-auto capability. The serial no. is in the low 900+ with no letter preceeding it. I have been trying to check it's monetary value out of curiousity, have asked some friends with different answers. Mostly not so nice comments about it like "it's a dinosaur" or worse, "it's garbage!" Can't blame them though. The sterling is one of the most uncommon smg in my part of the world. Most guys here own either an M16, M4, or MP5 full-auto. As a comparison, an MP5-SD here if pristine would cost about ten thousand U.S. dollars give or take, excluding costs of licensing it. Any comment or answers will be highly appreciated guys. thank you very much!

L34A1

dezenter said:
a good day to u guys! im a newbie in this forum, although i have been reading your posts when time allows. I have been looking for some answers in your forum but have not been able to find an answer, so here goes... i was given a sterling by my dad which he has kept for as long as i can remember. it's an original L34a1. it's in pristine condition, semi-auto and with full-auto capability. The serial no. is in the low 900+ with no letter preceeding it. I have been trying to check it's monetary value out of curiousity, have asked some friends with different answers. Mostly not so nice comments about it like "it's a dinosaur" or worse, "it's garbage!" Can't blame them though. The sterling is one of the most uncommon smg in my part of the world. Most guys here own either an M16, M4, or MP5 full-auto. As a comparison, an MP5-SD here if pristine would cost about ten thousand U.S. dollars give or take, excluding costs of licensing it. Any comment or answers will be highly appreciated guys. thank you very much!

Glad you could join us DEZENTER :) First of all you are very lucky to have such a prized trophy. I am assuming that you are not in the US so I can only tell you what I know about costs here in the US. My 86 pre dealer cost me $10K. There are no transferable factory guns only part/tube guns built on registered tubes for the average gun owner. They fetch $10.5 - $15K depending on who is selling them. As far as your "friends" comments, anyone who would call a L34A1 or L2A3 garbage is just plain ignorant. The MP5 (1965) is just as much a dinosaur being older that the L34 (1966). I challenge any smg shooter to a head to head match using my L34. BTW, the Mp5SD would fetch around 18K. Where are you from?

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
dezenter, welcome to UZI Talk.

As L34A1 suggested, prices are highly dependant on the location of the gun. In the U.S., restrictions in 1968 and 1986 caused outragous inflation in machine gun prices. A gun with a true value of $800 might sell for $7000 just because of limited availability. A gun worth $20,000 becomes worthless if it doesn't have the proper registration papers. All of the laws that determine the current value of a gun vary from country to country so U.S. prices don't mean much outside of the U.S.

dezenter

Thanks for your reply guys. I really appreciate it. You are right L34A1, I'm from the Philippines, where the sterling is uncommon. Here, M16's, M4's, MP5's, and AK's are the norm not only in the military and police, but also among civilians. Your response was quite informative. I didn't even know the MP5 was an older design than the sterling. Good thing you told me about it.
I have tested the unit with a 100 rounds, it was a sweet thing to shoot. Stable, accurate, very silent even at full burst. It's perfect for my personal and family's protection. Wherein before I was enamored with the M4's power, I realize using any .556 unit will be disadvantageous in an urbanized area. Unlike in America, prices here of smg's or rifles are determined mostly not by it's history and merits, but more as a fad. What's seen in local and international movies, and whoever has the newest toy wins.
As to ROVERDAVE's reply, restrictions are not much of a problem here sir. The Philippine government is pragmatic enough to grant amnesties to firearms that are not registered. Limited availability is a factor in market prices, but usually on firearms that movies made famous.
I'm very glad for your welcome guys!

dezenter

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

dezenter

Have posted pics L34A1. What I don't understand is it doesn't have a wooden grip underneath the tube. Judging by the absence of any scar, or slight dent on the finish which may have been caused by a tightened metal ring attachment, I'd say it was never attached with one. Could it be possible the manufacturer simply forgot to install one, or was it considered an after market grip long ago. That would be a big problem for me because I doubt I can find one here. Just wondering if wrapping a small area with cloth or kevlar fabric will do?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter