Stolen Transferables??? Anyone ever had one stolen?

skirmish

I recently had 4 of my MG’s stolen from a storage locker. Would like to communicate with anyone who has gone through this. 7752259920

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes, it happen to me. It sucks. The best support I had, was some a few really good people here. PM me.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Damn, that’s some horrible news.
Hopefully, one day they’ll be found and returned to you.

Was your storage unit the only one that was targeted?

Gaffshot

Not trying to salt your wound but wondering why you would keep them in a storage locker? Maybe storage locker means something different than I am thinking.

JohnnyE

UZI Talk Supporter
This thread motivates me to reassess my insurance valuations.

deadduck

I sleep with mine... in my bed... with Hoppe's 9... naked...

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Keep insurance limits covered. USAA only has a $10K limit for guns. I had to create a rider.

sweersa

I'm sorry to hear that. If you have not already, notify the ATF and the storage locker place, and the local police and state police. Perhaps the storage facility had cameras.

Hopefully, some or all are recovered eventually.

JohnnyE

UZI Talk Supporter
Keep insurance limits covered. USAA only has a $10K limit for guns. I had to create a rider.

The basic homeowner's policies I am familiar with have pretty low limits for firearms and jewelry, which is why I have a rider, which costs a pretty penny. Pretty soon I think my rider will be for more than my homeowner's replacement cost policy.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
Lockton Affinity let’s me insure mine on a firearms policy for a stated amount. They don’t even require a serial number. I need to up the limits, as the transferable market has appreciated quite a bit over the past few years. I think I’m paying around $125 per $10,000 in coverage. Just putting it out there.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Quandary… like a classic car recovered stolen from decades past.. -If insurance paid the claim the recovery belongs to the insurance company…. If you weren’t reimbursed and police knew the serial and someday recovered you get your item back, not insurance.

Double edged scenario.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
The sad fact is with enough time/opportunity/luck, anything can be stolen. It sucks.

We just have to keeping accurate records.
Secure and insure your valuables.
Report thefts to the right people.
Check the reports for accuracy.
Check back regularly.

It's that time a year again where I will call my guy at the PD property room to ask for a reverse e-trace on my stuff to see if the serial numbers have been entered into NCIC data base in the last year.

RWBlue01

People say that sentencing is to strict for criminals.
I tend to go the other way. Keep increasing the sentencing until people say, "it just isn't worth it, if I get caught, I am in for too long".
Of course this means that criminals will start doing anything to not get caught. If a criminal shoots at the police, they police should be able to shoot back. If a criminal decide to drive fast to get away from the police...helicopters and most rounds will penetrate a car.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
People say that sentencing is to strict for criminals.
I tend to go the other way. Keep increasing the sentencing until people say, "it just isn't worth it, if I get caught, I am in for too long".
Of course this means that criminals will start doing anything to not get caught. If a criminal shoots at the police, they police should be able to shoot back. If a criminal decide to drive fast to get away from the police...helicopters and most rounds will penetrate a car.

Absolutely right

jolague

Last decade I remember a story of an NFA dealer who told me about a mail theft of an incoming transferable. The culprit had no idea what was stolen until too late and chopped a colt Navy Thompson into multiple pieces before the law caught up to him. It sucks, but it happens. Flashback even earlier in 1998 I had multiple title 1 firearms stolen from my grandfather's estate only to resurface in 2019 in a separate legal case. Only problem is that the person in question fled the state and so my firearms sit in an evidence locker to this day.

Best part is the community here above and beyond.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Last decade I remember a story of an NFA dealer who told me about a mail theft of an incoming transferable. The culprit had no idea what was stolen until too late and chopped a colt Navy Thompson into multiple pieces before the law caught up to him. It sucks, but it happens. Flashback even earlier in 1998 I had multiple title 1 firearms stolen from my grandfather's estate only to resurface in 2019 in a separate legal case. Only problem is that the person in question fled the state and so my firearms sit in an evidence locker to this day.

Best part is the community here above and beyond.

If one were in possession of those pieces, could it be restored legally?

slimshady

If one were in possession of those pieces, could it be restored legally?

Probably not. Once the receiver is "destroyed" it ceases to be a receiver and welding it back together would be making a new one, just like we do when we reweld a cut up parts kit receiver to make a semi auto out of it. The thing is ATF recently busted a guy for having a saw cut MG42 kit/receiver saying it was improperly "destroyed" and was still a receiver. Typically ATF likes at least 2 cuts with a torch at least 1/4" wide to consider it destroyed. OTOH, if you had a saw cut receiver that was registered and wanted to weld it back together, likely they would then say it was properly destroyed.

Back when the Hughes amendment went into effect, all the NFA manufacturers were scrambling to turn anything they could into a registered MG or receiver. At least one SOT got a bunch of AR15 receivers and drilled the autosear hole in them but did not mill out the interior pocket to accept the autosear. Now the hole by itself is enough for ATF to prosecute you for having an MG, but these guys' Form 2s were denied once ATF inspected them and discovered they were incomplete. Said they weren't MGs so no paper. Then they made them destroy them as they were unregistered MGs. Apparently like Schrödinger's cat, a receiver can be both a MG and not a MG at the same time...

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
No advice to offer the OP regarding the stolen items other than that I sincerely hope he is able to get them back.

For everybody else...Collectibles Insurance Services or a similar specialty insurance policy. For $630/year, my guns and gold coins are insured up to ~$110k. Even if they are away from the scheduled premises, they are covered, as long as I did everything according to the policy.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter