UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 9 15 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL GALIL LIBRARY

That looks like a model 372 but it is probably different if it's factory.

A very nice catch. Pre or Post?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Folgers View Post
    That looks like a model 372 but it is probably different if it's factory.

A very nice catch. Pre or Post?
    It is a 372, transferable, converted by Fleming but actually done up right by Tenngalil. I think it was one of those 4:30 Friday afternoon conversions back in '86. I mean, it was just OK, everything worked. But Jeff just overhauled it and did shit to it that really made it just like a factory full auto. Enough to make a grown man cry it was so beautiful. BTW, the Beta C-mag set up in the photo with the U/A adaptor didn't work for squat. I had at least a dozen FTF with the C-mag and this thing NEVER has FTF. I've used the same U/A adaptor many, many times with nary a hint of a problem, so, the C-mag is history for me. Totally unacceptable performance today.
    "I was rather hostile to a reduced calibre being used by us. Even now, I am still convinced that the 7.62 is the best" M. Kalashnikov

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    He He, extremely nice stuff! My ACOG is a 3.5X35 TAF11. I love it, I can't give you a group size, but it is tremendously helpful with my aging eyeballs. It also helps on full auto to re-index the target faster. It's heavier than crap, the Galil is no lightweight to begin with. I have no plans to carry it very far, the zombies are gonna have to come and get me!
    Lol, I feel you pain. Not bad stuff back at you. I am glad to see that the AR mag adapter with the Beta Mag make you Mother-F'n lead farmer What adapter do you have? Gotta Love full auto! I envy you my friend.

oooof just got to the next page and saw your specs on the beta mag and adapter. The Zombies are going to shit out thier decomposing sphincters when they see you!

Folks, here is a picture of my bolt face. Can anyone tell me if their bolt has a similar looking relief/recess ? The extractor does not hold the round tight to the bolt face - there is a ~0.040" gap if you pull back the bolt till the extractor grips.

This is the bolt face.

Here one gets the idea how the round fits when extracted. Note big gap.

This is what the extractor looks like

To me the extractor looks like new, unless I am missing something ??

How does your spring look? Here is mine for a comparison
    Attached Images      

So if you load a round in there by hand, is there a gap between the base of the round and the bolt face ? Compare to my picture ? I'm having issues with the brass staying in the receiver and not ejecting. It looks like with the big gap, the shell is not under control when being extracted, hence doesn't make it out the ejection port. Most of the brass gets smashed into the face of the breech. I bought some steel case ammo today to compare, have only had reloads so far and got 300 rounds of Black hills as part of the settlement with the dealer that sold me the POS Golani to begin with... I'm trying to figure out how the bolt face / extractor claw relationship can get so far out of whack ??? But then nothing should surprise me anymore I guess ???

Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    So if you load a round in there by hand, is there a gap between the base of the round and the bolt face ? Compare to my picture ? I'm having issues with the brass staying in the receiver and not ejecting. It looks like with the big gap, the shell is not under control when being extracted, hence doesn't make it out the ejection port. Most of the brass gets smashed into the face of the breech. I bought some steel case ammo today to compare, have only had reloads so far and got 300 rounds of Black hills as part of the settlement with the dealer that sold me the POS Golani to begin with... I'm trying to figure out how the bolt face / extractor claw relationship can get so far out of whack ??? But then nothing should surprise me anymore I guess ???
    If you load the round by hand it should hold the round. But keep in mind that the extractor is designed to capture the rim of the case with the spring loaded claw when the round has just been fired and draw it back to the ejector. If the spring is weak it will not grip the case as well. The claw is only designed to pull the brass out of the barrel just until the ejector strikes the back of the case and throws it out of the ejector port. Try this, snap a empty shell in the bolt, try pulling the brass and the bolt apart with the brass and bolt lined up as straight together as you possible. If your claw and spring on your bolt are working properly it should be difficult to seperate the brass from the bolt (keep case straight as it where in the barrel). Now if you turn the brass in the direction it should eject the bolt should easily release the brass case. I hope I am making sense.

I know how it works, but this type of extractor needs to hold the primer face against the bolt face for the round to be "stable". Only that way will the round go repeatably out the ejection port at just the right angle. With the gap it has too many degrees of freedom. My shells seem to go up and hit the inside of the dust cover, then get slammed forward into the breech. My spring is fine. it takes quite a bit of force to deflect the extractor. But the bolt closes on a chambered round every time, so it is not too strong either. I am wondering whether some genius at CIA cut back the face of the bolt to correct head space instead of correcting the chamber ? In doing so of course trashed any possibility that rounds would eject out the side port ?

If there is anyone with a stripped bolt or 2 who could post pictures of what the working face looks like for comparison ?
    I note that Sarco have reasonably prices spare parts. Has anyone used them and can comment on the quality of the parts or country of origon ? It looks like I can get a spare bolt, 2 extractors, 2 extractor springs and 2 extractor pins for around $100, which is a deal compared to AKparts ???

Alright this is the best I can do. I have to rack up Westcliffe. Here is some shots of my bolt unstripped. I will try to load it unstripped tommorow to see if that helps. Good Luck
    Attached Images      

Thats what I expected. There does not seem to be any gap between the shell and the bolt face, right ? I tested steel case ammo today. The number of stovepipes was reduced, but if you jam a steel case in the works it looks like it can do a lot more damage. I got 2 significant gouges on the magazine (steel) feed lips from jammed steel cases. lcastillo, thanks for the support.

Galil Mags

Here is a pic of various 5.56 x 45 Galil mags from left to right
    Name:  Galil_Mags 001.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  67.8 KB
    12 round IMI, steel, blank mag
    20 round IMI, steel
    35 round IMI, steel from assault weapons ban era, "restricted" yellow lettering
    35 round IMI orlite
    35 round South African polymer
    50 round IMI steel

Those are some pretty magazines! especially that 20 round, i don't know why we cant use 1 round, cause thats all we ever shoot, 10 per target sometimes with 2 sighters but dam, 20 round and 12 round, i need to look into them!

Don't forget that South Africa had their own 35 round metal mags, with the difference of having a date code on them. Most were in the early 80's.

Unless the fact was; they imported them from Israel and put the code on them after.

The 12 rounders were for sale at APEX. They tend to be in very good condition. If you get the blank version, you may have to replace the follower. I got 2x 12 rounders and the followers had already been swapped out for regular ones. I intend to convert at least 1 of them to legal 5 round status in case needed for hunting.

Adipose, as i said, we only ever load 10 rounds maybe 12 if we shoot ighters in our metal mags for competitio, havent ever tried to fit 35 rounds in those mags, im gonna start off slow with 30 thi weekend for my first bush ops in years

Ruski

Are you shooting prone or standing. I always found the 30rnd mag nice to shoot prone, it gives you something to have a dead rest on. I think i must take a little road trip to you for some shooting and chatting.

Hey Ady, my spare room is in a mess, but if you look up the local IPA (international police ossociaion) house, they are just down the road, and very reasonable, even for non members. Ad we can make a range plan. We shoot mostly prone, especially at 300, i would like to try a 20 round, but thinking about it, 12 round would be too short, cause we do use it as a dead rest, cause our Lyttleton made weapons don't have mag well movement (poke at Lcastillo)

Quote Originally Posted by adipose View Post
    Don't forget that South Africa had their own 35 round metal mags, with the difference of having a date code on them. Most were in the early 80's.

Unless the fact was; they imported them from Israel and put the code on them after.
    Adipose, these are the two mags I have, can you tell me if they are SA made?

Ruski, LOL I got the mag joke? Just wait when I get my R5 replica done I will be in the "No Rattle Club"
    Attached Images    

+ Reply to Thread