UZI Talk Forums

View Poll Results: You think the Semiauto UZI is a...

Voters
884. You may not vote on this poll
  • Range Toy or Plinker (Not a top choice for SHTF)

305 34.50%
  • Serious Tool I would be comfortable with if SHTF (One of my top choices)

459 51.92%
  • NO OPPINION - Vote here if you don't have an oppinion but want to see results

120 13.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 11 23 LastLast

Thread: Semiauto UZI - Serious tool or a Range Toy?

UZI Talk Life Member

Semiauto UZI - Serious tool or a Range Toy?

I am curious what the general oppinions of a standard 16-inch semiauto Full Sized UZI is... I am eliminating SBRs and SMGs as I think we can all agree that in NFA configurations they are more practical for HD or potential conflict use...

So, what is your oppinion of a SemiAuto Vector UZI as from the factory with the 16-inch barrel... Range Plinker or Duty capable tool?

Compact, reliable, widely available ammo, and puts rounds on target.

In a shtf sit, it's the go-to in my safe. I'd rather not be hosing rounds anyway. Keep yer head low, and your eyes open, and make it through for tomorrow...

If the s is really hing tf I'd cut down the spare anyway.

That and in NYS taint no sbr's FA's or mufflers anyhow...

UZI Talk Supporter
    It's a good gun, but it's very heavy, and a good 9mm pistol with extended mags will do the same job at a very reduced weight.
    I'm not sure if an sbr Uzi would be any different.

A good AR-15 would be a better choice....

Quote Originally Posted by terma-nator
    A good AR-15 would be a better choice....
    For SHTF, I'm not thinking ANYTHING in 9mm.

More like .223. At the very least.

Hard to beat a semi AR.

UZI Talk Supporter

It would probably do the job for an active shooter scenario. I used my SBR Mini for drills a couple weeks ago, and I can't see how the extra barrel length would be a deal breaker there.

definitely a toy.

I say it is a sledge hammer as compared to my HK94 which is a surgical device

UZI Talk Life Member
    Heywatchin, where did you post go... my e-mail said you posted this:

Another example of a 'skewed' poll. I think it fits somewhere in
    between a range toy and a serious tool. I do not think that any UZI is a good
    survival choice. If we are going to play what if you should ask 'What
    weapon would you choose for a first line of defense in combat?' I think
    we will see that 3/4 of the real world prefers the AK-47 style weapon.
    Chuck Norris aside, that is probably the best overall 'real tool' out
    there. To take it one more step, 9mm and 22 caliber bullets will be the
    easiest to scrounge up a few months after 'Day one'. Any high capacity
    firearm will be a plus. If you become a predator, the AK will serve you
    better.
    -watchin-
    I would dare say we would have more AR-15 fans then AK fans for the primary

The problem is the Semi Auto UZI will likely always come up short if you compare it to other semiauto assult rifles because of the round. My goal here was to get an idea how most people that have a Semiauto UZI fealt about it in generic terms.

For me, my Semiauto is just too heavy and long to really be a practical tool so for me in stock form I fail to see really anything that the semiauto UZI does better then other options. If I limited myself to just 9mm, I would take a 9mm AR-15 over a semiauto UZI any day with less weight and just slightly more length. So, for me, I see them as range toys... JMHOs however as they seem reliable (I have not shot mine enough to say mine is reliable).

I can't see a use of a full sized semi auto Uzi for anything beyond collecting/range blaster.

For SHTF 9mm carbine use, I'd much rather have an AR... because of the greater selection of accessories.

For ease of maintenance and keeping order on my property,a Uzi with my 45 acp conversion would be a great choice. If we have another major blackout or natural disaster,the extended range and velocity of the carbine barrel would be a great bonus. We used them to guard our store during a 4 day blackout and no one tried to break in.

They're all toys

Let's face it, they're all toys anyway, for 99.999% of us. I think it's a pretty safe assumption that non-LE/military individuals (and even LE/military who are issued guns OTHER than Uzis) who own Uzis in ANY configuration will never use them for anything but plinking and/or shooting matches in which dirt clods, tin cans, paper and metal plates are the only targets. And none of those targets shoot back.

As one of the 99.999%, I happily and unashamedly declare that I like ALL guns, each slightly different configuration for a slightly different reason. It's just a hobby. These are toys.

Now, if this poll was limited only to those LE/military personnel who ARE issued the different versions of Uzis, and have some experience in their use in carrying out their jobs in their professional capacities, then I think hearing what those people had to say would be interesting indeed.

But I have a hard time imagining that many LE/military people even actually use Uzi's very much anymore, given the prevalence of shotguns, MP5's, AK/M16 variants and newer-generation SMG's being used in roles which Uzi's may have once occupied.

In that regard, I think hearing from some old IDF vets from the 1967 & 1973 wars would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony
    definitely a toy.

I say it is a sledge hammer as compared to my HK94 which is a surgical device
    Leave it to an HK fan to be the first to yell "Mine's Better!"

Whatever works for YOU. I and my buddy can both routinely put all our rounds on a 15 gal. poly drum @ ~ 400yds using FMJ factory ammo from my Model B Semi.

That's good enough.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Hypothetically speaking, if the SHTF, would any of us still have a semi Uzi?
    With all the parts kits that everyone’s been buying up, I’m sure that the thought has crossed most people’s mind.
    And those “parts” might find their way into the semi receiver (hypothetically speaking of course!)

As a full auto weapon for shtf work, it’s not bad, since you now have it in its intended configuration.

If the shtf, the last thing that would be on anyone's mind would be the atf. They would all be toast anyway, being that they're in DC.

UZI Talk Life Member

This is a tough one. In a guaranteed, up close urban type firefight I would think you would be very well armed with the Uzi. A pouch full of mags and a companion pistol and you could be good to go for a lot of ass whipping (I mean personal defense). For longer range obviously an assault type rifle/cartridge would be better. But up close and personal it a close environment. I would have no trouble grabbing my carbine and feeling adequately armed. My personal favorite configuration is a long fixed wood stock and a ventilated barrel shroud. It also looks “mean” and sometimes looks are enough. Consider the home invasion scenario, roving bands of thugs and looters vs scary gun, lots of firepower, noise, death, destruction......hmmm, let’s leave this guy alone.
    For a prolonged “day after” type situation, a shortened barrel and a folder makes a compact weapon to take along that still has a lot of instant firepower. And as Terma-nator said, in that situation the rules no longer apply. A hack saw and a moment of silence for the BATF.
    That being said, my favorite range guns (toys) are my Uzis. And the most favorite of those is my 22. cal. Go figure.

Life is good.
    GS

Don't underestimate the intimidation factor of the Uzi in a SHTF scenario.

It's a good gun, but it's very heavy, and a good 9mm pistol with extended mags will do the same job at a very reduced weight.
    I'm hardly an expert, but wouldn't the pistol have a much lower muzzle velocity than the carbine?

But I do second the heavy comment.

UZI Talk Life Member

Better than nothing, but hardly my first choice for worst case scenerios. I have to vote 'range toy' for the semi auto uzi.

UZI Talk Supporter

SMGs are toys. Semi auto SMGs are real toys.

SHTF is a 308 with AP. Preferably an FAL.

The Israelis were not and are not stupid. The Uzi would not be my first choice, but if it's what's on the table, then it will kill folks. There's a lot of bones in the sand thanks to the Uzi and considering it will lay 9mm rounds at extended ranges all day, it will suit the purpose.....BTW, Lxpony - have fun with an HK if you toss a squib and it's all you got....Talk about pooched....

I have two SHTF firearms; a DSA, STG58 Austrian FAL and a Vector SA UZI. I can't imagine a better combination.

None of my firearms are "toy"s, including my UZI. In my suburban situation, I am much more likely to grab the UZI with it's 25-rd mag and topcover red-dot scope than either my retro ar15A1 or my AK. I can put out alot of rounds with excellent accuracy with my UZI. Of course, the Browning High Power is first.

Hey, I haven't been here in a while.

Anyway, I believe all sub guns, semi or FA, 16"bbls and under, are all not currently suitable for SHTF. Granted your 9mm's and 45's can kill you beyond 100 meters, but they don't have the accuracy and barrier/armor penetration can be lacking. Your enemy is probably "poor" like you and isn't able to get the latest equipment. He might make improvised body armor it may stop certain pistol ammo from certain ranges. Maybe down to 100 meters or maybe even 50 meters.

Good luck trying to stop a rifle bullet. If you're going to remain on the defensive for quite some time, I would rather use a compact assault rifle. The easiest way to get one is getting an AR15 lower and putting on a short barreled upper(I'm talking about right before or during SHTF where laws no longer apply). Something like an AKSU74 would also be favorable. These firearms fire a cartridge that's just about acceptable for bbl lengths of 8" to 12". Coupled with a good flash hider/muzzle break, you now have a weapon that is capable in CQB and does better than SMGs in the outdoors.

+ Reply to Thread