UZI Talk Forums

View Poll Results: You think the Semiauto UZI is a...

Voters
884. You may not vote on this poll
  • Range Toy or Plinker (Not a top choice for SHTF)

305 34.50%
  • Serious Tool I would be comfortable with if SHTF (One of my top choices)

459 51.92%
  • NO OPPINION - Vote here if you don't have an oppinion but want to see results

120 13.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 12 23 LastLast

Thread: Semiauto UZI - Serious tool or a Range Toy?

A semi auto uzi is as heavy as a bowling ball and with a 16in bbl even more clumsy and for what to put a 9mm? downrange?

I soon realized my ak is lighter puts a much more vicious round 7.62x39 out there and is much more reliable......

anything the uzi can do the ak can do better yes it can

UZI Talk Life Member

I don't think uzi reliability takes second place to AK reliability. My uzi shoots every time I pull the trigger and has never given me any problems. That is as reliable as it gets.

No where near my first choice as a SHTF weapon.. however if for some reason I wound up only having semi norinco or the wifes vector as the only 'rifles' I wouldn't feel uncomfortable about it unless we were talking ranges exceeding 100 yards.

Lets face it, the cool factor of the Uzi negates some of the weight. Seriosuly...

UZI Talk Life Member
    If I had to pick a Title 1 gun for SHTF, it would be an AR carbine. It's intimidating and half the fucking world thinks it's a MG on sight. The gun and ammo are lightweight so I can carry plenty of 30 round mags as far as my fat ass can travel. Having a laser means never having to say I miss you.

It wouldn't hurt to have a CZ-52 on the hip either.

All of the above will do the job on most body armor, car doors, etc.

Most of us think about SHTF defensive scenarios. If the situation is long term and there's no help from what's left of the police, you may need to go on the offense, to recover a hostage, etc. The two guns listed above are not effective to suppress and that may be important if you need an element of surprise. A mouse fart quiet suppressed handgun or rifle could be handy taking out a lamp light, guard dogs or a perimeter guard.

Last edited by MuzzleFlash; 06-09-2007 at 02:26 AM.
    "Tyranny thrives best where government need not fear the wrath of an armed people.... The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision... Assuming you can never lose your freedom, is a mistake a free people get to make only once."
    --Judge Alex Kozinski of the Ninth Circuit Court in Silviera v. Lockyer

Quote Originally Posted by garandman
    For SHTF, I'm not thinking ANYTHING in 9mm.

More like .223. At the very least.

Hard to beat a semi AR.
    Ha, that long barrel on my IMI Mini Uzi Carbine quiets 9mm down way more than my Gemtech "silencer" quiets my AR-15.

Survival comes down to having something when it's time to have something and making the best of what you have at that time. You can sit here and talk big dickus this and big dickus that, but when you get shot off the chairiot with a 10-22 you'll still be a dead or crippled fuck.

Survival comes down to having something when it's time to have something and making the best of what you have at that time.
    You are right. You make the best out of what you have. But if you have an Uzi and a Micro Galil sitting next to each other, which do you pick for general purpose use? Most logical folk will grab the compact rifle because it's more versatile. Those who choose the Uzi are probably too attached to its history.

Like I said before, the 9mm will kill you, but the 223 and such are better.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kal
    Hey, I haven't been here in a while.
    You haven't missed much. This is a continuation of this thread:
    http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19280
    Looking for the definitive reference book on UZI history and technical information? Check out my book The UZI Submachine Gun Examined. Details to order a copy are here.

To continue, my CHOICE of CQB carbine would be my AMD65. Short. LOUD, INTIMIDATING-sounding brake. Accurate. RELIABLE. 7.62x39. over a dozen Com-Bloc 30rd mags, a 50 and a 100 rd drum. Loads of firepower. Accurate enough for the circumstances. Rifle cartridge. Of course, this is a little of-topic, but then, we seemed to be drifting this way anyhow.

I also have an amd65 (home made), and I also consider it an incredible CQB weapon, plus I get very good accuracy at 100 yards. However, short of al queda, ms-13 or aryan brotherhood rampaging down my suburban street, it probably would take second place behind the UZI, maybe third behind the retro AR15A1 build.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I suppose that it depends on how muich shit, and how big a fan.

If things start to just smell funny, I'd grab my Colt M4...

If things really turn to shit, I'm grabbing my full auto UZI.

YMMV
    Dover's the name, Ben Dover.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I had my Vector Uzi with during Hurricane Rita. I felt just fine with it.

Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

my semi is just a part of my collection right now. but if the shtf, id have to agree with terma-nator on this one, it probably wouldnt be semi for much longer. i do however actually like the 18" barrel on my vector semi, it really reduces the noise lever to just a bit more than a .22mag. and think, if there was a situation would any of us really have to shoot past 100yds regularly? especially in urban or suburban areas?

Quote Originally Posted by terma-nator
    Hypothetically speaking, if the SHTF, would any of us still have a semi Uzi?
    With all the parts kits that everyone’s been buying up, I’m sure that the thought has crossed most people’s mind.
    And those “parts” might find their way into the semi receiver (hypothetically speaking of course!)

As a full auto weapon for shtf work, it’s not bad, since you now have it in its intended configuration.

If the shtf, the last thing that would be on anyone's mind would be the atf. They would all be toast anyway, being that they're in DC.

i only have 4 rifles (total, thats the whole collection so far) and if the shit ever hits the fan id be comfortable. id have my AK-47 as my primary (50-150yds), my M44 mosin for anything past that, my SKS as a backup due to length and 10rd capacity, and my uzi for any CQB/indoors. next buy is going to be a remington 870 tactical and a surefire forearm because every flashlight needs a shotgun agree?

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amd6547
    None of my firearms are "toy"s, including my UZI. In my suburban situation, I am much more likely to grab the UZI with it's 25-rd mag and topcover red-dot scope than either my retro ar15A1 or my AK. I can put out alot of rounds with excellent accuracy with my UZI. Of course, the Browning High Power is first.

The Uzi is a great short excursion urban tote, IMHO. Kinda like the weapon you throw over your shoulder while you're carring a bolt gun, in case things get busy up close.
    Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

B Wood
    It is a serious tool. In a true SHTF scenario, the compactness and ability to change calibers quickly is a true asset. Add to that the quietness of pistol caliber cartridges out of a 16" barrel. If it was truly a SHTF situation...the barrel could be cut easily for even more compactness.

I love the ability to swtich from 9mm, to .45acp, and .22LR quickly and easily.

My main Colt M4 has the same ability.....except I have uppers in 5.56mm, 7.62x39mm, and a .22 LR Conversion kit. The advantage of the M4 is certainly more power, but much louder sound signature in the rifle calibers than the UZI with the pistol calibers. I understand range limitations....but also understand that each has it's own merits and limitations.

We live in a hurricane zone. Our wapons are compact and easy to move with if we have to evacuate. We also have multi-calibers in case of other SHTF scenarios....which are not that unlikely in the times we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by kal

Like I said before, the 9mm will kill you, but the 223 and such are better.
    I agree. I think if people had to carry everything they said they would on shtf day, they might have to adjust their wish list a little bit, unless they got a wheelbarrow handy.

Everybody assumes shtf day will leave them with an intact house and operable motorvehicle, open highways, plenty of running water, a refer keeping the frozen pizzas cold and convenience marts with plenty of mogas on tap.

If their assess are going to have to ruck what they need to the next town or another part of their state, they'll be leaving a lot of toys behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr8 Dawg
    I agree. I think if people had to carry everything they said they would on shtf day, they might have to adjust their wish list a little bit, unless they got a wheelbarrow handy.

Very true, and another reason I went with the M4gery.

In SHTF, yer gonna need one firearm to do EVERYTHING.

Neither 9 mm nor 45 are game getters.

.223 is.

And it also makes a pretty good defensive round.

I know this is UZItalk, but sheesh.... NO WAY a 9mm or .45 is a serious tool.

But I beleive ther are some serious tools posting.

In a SHTF scenario I would go with my Colt AR-15 chambered in 7.62 by 39 and my Glock 17.

I stick with my 2 weapons of choice in the survival weapons thread. Mini-14 and S&W 686 .357mag 6" barrel. I still wouldnt take the UZI in a 2 weapon situation but a 6-10 weapon Hell yes. I believe the mini and the 686 will cover all hunting and defense situations for myself as an individual. Add my wife and a friend, then the list grows significantly. IMHO you can go alot longer without cleaning the mini than an AR. And a wheel gun will always be reliable. ONCE AGAIN, IMHO.

With the mini 14 I had, you could go alot longer without hitting anything than an AR15...with my retro A1 build, I can pick off clay pigeons at 100yards using irons. With the mini 14 I had, I would have had a better chance trying to throw it at the clay pigoens.
    A wheel gun can be very reliable, though I once saw a friend have a squib push the bullet halfway into the forcing cone--talk about locked up tight!

My mini is on point. maybe a production era issue with yours. By all means, its no tac driver but it will hit a target in 100yrds. plus it needs no dust shields or forward assist. I am very pleased with my mini. I have shot many AR variants, I might get one in the future but the mini is very dependable.

+ Reply to Thread