UZI Talk Forums

View Poll Results: You think the Semiauto UZI is a...

Voters
884. You may not vote on this poll
  • Range Toy or Plinker (Not a top choice for SHTF)

305 34.50%
  • Serious Tool I would be comfortable with if SHTF (One of my top choices)

459 51.92%
  • NO OPPINION - Vote here if you don't have an oppinion but want to see results

120 13.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 4 14 23 LastLast

Thread: Semiauto UZI - Serious tool or a Range Toy?

....or, farther than that.... my 50BMG. a 9 is for close work, and, within that context, the Uzi fits the requirement very well. The right tool for the job.

I seriously doubt that any bad guy hit with a +P+ 9mmJHP at 100 yards will laugh and say "Ha! It's only a 9mm!"
    Are you volunteering to be the test subject?

Quote Originally Posted by amd6547
    I seriously doubt that any bad guy hit with a +P+ 9mmJHP at 100 yards will laugh and say "Ha! It's only a 9mm!"
    Are you volunteering to be the test subject?
    sure and Ill be .308ing you to death with my
    ill take that contest anyday

in my favor @ 100yds I have :

more potent heavy hitiing round
    longer sight radius
    2700ft/sec with 1500 ft/lbs of force minimum

at 100yds and beyond you are fighting a different kind of engagement
    sorry to burst your bubble but

santa isnt real
    nor is the easter bunny or tooth fairy
    the earth isnt flat
    although a nickel is larger than a dime it really is worth less
    a refrigerator light really goes out when you close the door
    the earth revolves around the sun--not the other way around

and while the UZI in full auto has its merits (at close range)as semi will not magically smite your foes, limited power/accuracy and is at best a novelty

the IDF used the FAL, galil, m16 and variants, the tavor for long range fighting...they did not say well UZIS for everything did they?

If he fires first, your 1,500ft/lbs of energy won't do anything, because if he knows how to aim, your rifle will be in the dirt, on top of where you are soon to be buried. And you better not only shoot first but hit first, as the Uzi's lower recoil and weight is far better for follow up shots. Both with CETME, SAR and FAL variants I have a longer recovery time than with the Uzi, where I can hit targets with minimal effort even rapidly.

Or is Superman real, and you are related to him?

People seem to not realize two things. One, bullets scare you unless you get shot at enough and "have the stuff" to not go into survival mode and stay down. Two, bullets do damage. People have been killed by 00 Buckshot 250 yards away because a pellet got them in the head, people have been killed at stupid long ranges with handguns... they are not the exception, it is the chance of the hit that is the exception, the shot placement is the rule. If you can hit it, likely, without drug inducement, they won't last too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Gunner2
    If he fires first, your 1,500ft/lbs of energy won't do anything, because if he knows how to aim, your rifle will be in the dirt, on top of where you are soon to be buried. And you better not only shoot first but hit first, as the Uzi's lower recoil and weight is far better for follow up shots. Both with CETME, SAR and FAL variants I have a longer recovery time than with the Uzi, where I can hit targets with minimal effort even rapidly.

Or is Superman real, and you are related to him?

People seem to not realize two things. One, bullets scare you unless you get shot at enough and "have the stuff" to not go into survival mode and stay down. Two, bullets do damage. People have been killed by 00 Buckshot 250 yards away because a pellet got them in the head, people have been killed at stupid long ranges with handguns... they are not the exception, it is the chance of the hit that is the exception, the shot placement is the rule. If you can hit it, likely, without drug inducement, they won't last too long.

Okay a 9mm at 100 yds BETTER BE A HEAD SHOT (didnt know a pistol? caliber to be that accurate)cause your gonna need follw up shots and some luck....a regular rifle caliber a torso shot will do. You carry out police actions at close quarters with MP5, UZI, PC9 etc You fight wars with a cetme, FAL, AK, and m16 m14.........

And in my opinion the AK is the summum bonum--its good at close and longer range ..and Im a FAL guy saying this

In a handgun fight 5-25yds okay 9mm is your standard, 9mm is out ranged outgunned underpowered at 100 yds by any real rifle caliber
    Last edited by dieudonne; 07-19-2007 at 09:06 AM.

...whatever

...whatever

Yes, I'm sure a headshot would be needed--afterall, a real man would just ignore a 124gn JHP in the chest.

The same could be said for building clearing with an FAL. In tight corners and allys it would be cumbersome . The US Army went to the M4 for that very reason of a more compact rifle/carbine. For better or worse. I still like the ole M16A1.. And yes Im old and still would shit in my pants if someone shot at me. warDawg

Yeah, I'm in high school--no wait, that was 1974...
    I don't want to kill anyone, nor do I want to be shot at with anything. I do, however know what my UZI is capable of at 100 yards, as well as several pistols at the same range, because I shoot them at that range. No one disputes the superiority of a rifle at long range, but I do not consider 100 yards to be "long range" for a rifle.
    It really is a quite silly arguement. The fact is, a pistol caliber JHP delivered to any part of your anatomy at 100 yards will ruin your day, and is the last thing you need in a true survival situation, whether you are able to spot the source of the shot and return fire with your "real" rifle or not.
    I base my opinion on 40+ years of owning and shooting many rifles--AK's, AR's, Cetme, as well as various military bolt guns. Would the UZI be my first choice in all situations? Of course not. Like wardog, my favorite rifle right now is an A1 clone I built with a colt upper. Yet, I would make do with the UZI in the proverbial SHTF situation, and adjust my tactics to make best use of it's capablities if I had to, and feel well armed.
    It's all about attitude and an open mind.

I went through Basic Training with an M16A1. I was issued and M16A1 in Germany ( 1985 ), and then switched for a M203 version. When I went back across the pond the land of Milk and Honey , I was issued and Brand new M16A2. I wanted my old used M16A1 back. I still today would grab an M16A1 over and of the M16 variants. It's light and accurate. Just like Eugene designed it to be. WarDawg

Not to get too OT, but there is a big retro A1 resurgence. Like you said, it is light, yet still has a full 20" barrel. I like the A1 sights for their functional simplicity, and the triangle handguards feel good in the hands. I have no problem hitting clay pigeons at 100 yards. The first centerfire rifle I ever fired was an M16A1. I built this one on a whim when I found my Colt upper cheap--this, even though I thought I was through with the AR15. I am glad I did!
    I have replaced the A2 buttstock in this pic with an A1 stock--it fits me better.
    Attached Images  

UZI Talk Life Member

A friend has a 1964 production M16. I love it. Very classic M16 look and feel. It is also set up with a suppressor that is about as long as my forearm. Lanky but quiet.

Not to get too OT, but there is a big retro A1 resurgence. Like you said, it is light, yet still has a full 20" barrel. I like the A1 sights for their functional simplicity, and the triangle handguards feel good in the hands. I have no problem hitting clay pigeons at 100 yards. The first centerfire rifle I ever fired was an M16A1. I built this one on a whim when I found my Colt upper cheap--this, even though I thought I was through with the AR15. I am glad I did!
    I have replaced the A2 buttstock in this pic with an A1 stock--it fits me better.
    I did the same thing. Mines on a Bushie lower. Put and A1 stock on it and found an A1 pistol grip at a funshow for $5 . I love that rifle. WarDawg

I think we are missing the point here,I can fit a Uzi with the short barrel and folding stock in a shoulder bag. For urban combat,it is a great choice. Nothing screams shoot me more than a guy running aroung with a full size rifle. Whereas I can fit my Uzi and several mags in a the equivalent of a briefcase or medium school bag. Thereby maintaining my non-combatant status until the right moment. I would much rather prefer my 17" paratrooper fn-fal,but logistics says that is a lot of stuff to carry. Plus try to use a M16,AK47 or battle rifle inside a car,it doesnt work to good.

Quote Originally Posted by dieudonne
    Okay a 9mm at 100 yds BETTER BE A HEAD SHOT (didnt know a pistol? caliber to be that accurate)cause your gonna need follw up shots and some luck....a regular rifle caliber a torso shot will do. You carry out police actions at close quarters with MP5, UZI, PC9 etc You fight wars with a cetme, FAL, AK, and m16 m14.........

And in my opinion the AK is the summum bonum--its good at close and longer range ..and Im a FAL guy saying this

In a handgun fight 5-25yds okay 9mm is your standard, 9mm is out ranged outgunned underpowered at 100 yds by any real rifle caliber

Clark Kent posts yet again...

No, not a head shot. A 124gr. +P with the velocity from a 16" barrel comes out the muzzle with 540 ft/lbs of energy. It still has around 250-300 at 100 yards.

So a 124gr. bullet with say 250 ft/lbs of energy and... he laughs it off. Er... no.

If you smoke rocks first, sure, maybe it will take a head or spinal shot. Otherwise, it's hard to ignore physics, and it's hard to ignore blood loss and shock and internal bleeding. Bullets are not toys. This isn't Airsoft. Bullets do damage. In the head or spine (which the Uzi is more than accurate enough to do anyway) sure you're gone. In the chest, femoral artery, carotid artery... yeah, you're going down, and likely without getting back up. You could have a damn .50 BMG, be firing an M-2 at him, that doesn't make you come back to life.

I'm not sure I'd go out and buy a SA FS Uzi in 9mm to encounter hostile opponents. However I use my FS FA Uzi in .45 as my primary entry gun. It is a proven caliber and very controllable at indoor distances. My Uzi is GG converted and has one of Troy's rails with a Surefire M900 it is also equipped with one of the Amphibians top covers and a Docter sight. I really like it. Would I carry the same gun in semi auto, No. I have a 10mm bolt and barrel but haven't run it enough in 10mm to switch over yet. A 3 round burst of Speer gold dot 200 grain +P should take care of any problem. For now I'm betting my life that it does. Outdoors I would want a semi auto rifle in 6.8spc or 7.62X39, but I'd still want the Uzi at hand for close in work. Bottom line the only rounds that count are the ones that hit and most people with most full auto rifle caliber guns are going to miss a bunch. I'd rather be missed with a 223 than hit with a 9mm.

Just my opinion and you know what opinions are like,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Gunner2
    Clark Kent posts yet again...

No, not a head shot. A 124gr. +P with the velocity from a 16" barrel comes out the muzzle with 540 ft/lbs of energy. It still has around 250-300 at 100 yards.

So a 124gr. bullet with say 250 ft/lbs of energy and... he laughs it off. Er... no.

If you smoke rocks first, sure, maybe it will take a head or spinal shot. Otherwise, it's hard to ignore physics, and it's hard to ignore blood loss and shock and internal bleeding. Bullets are not toys. This isn't Airsoft. Bullets do damage. In the head or spine (which the Uzi is more than accurate enough to do anyway) sure you're gone. In the chest, femoral artery, carotid artery... yeah, you're going down, and likely without getting back up. You could have a damn .50 BMG, be firing an M-2 at him, that doesn't make you come back to life.
    Blah Blah Blah and why arent the armies of the world armed with 9mm carbines as their front line weapons ????

Just imagine a world where infantry are using pc9s, marlin camp carbines, hi points etc--------"

its laughable
    Last edited by dieudonne; 07-30-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dieudonne
    Blah Blah Blah and why arent the armies of the world armed with 9mm carbines as their front line weapons ????

Just imagine a world where infantry are using pc9s, marlin camp carbines, hi points etc--------"

its laughable
    As already mentioned ... The rifle carbine would be a better choice in the long run. It also has to do with commonality with ammo. Look at the USA in WWII with our on U.S. Troops let alone our allies in common rifle ammo. IT has to help with supply and demand . IMO WarDawg

Originally Posted by Q-Gunner2
    You could have a damn .50 BMG, be firing an M-2 at him, that doesn't make you come back to life.
    Do not discount the zombie factor.

They require a head shot...

+ Reply to Thread