UZI Talk Forums

View Poll Results: You think the Semiauto UZI is a...

Voters
884. You may not vote on this poll
  • Range Toy or Plinker (Not a top choice for SHTF)

305 34.50%
  • Serious Tool I would be comfortable with if SHTF (One of my top choices)

459 51.92%
  • NO OPPINION - Vote here if you don't have an oppinion but want to see results

120 13.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 7 17 23 LastLast

Thread: Semiauto UZI - Serious tool or a Range Toy?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bendavid25
    I have been gone for months and when I come back this is the first post I read. How funny. Funny because the last time we dealt with this issue I think we set a string record and ended up spydering out at least one or two other posts.

I answered this at muuuch length in a post somewhere....guys?

Okay, I'll give you the short answer. We, the soldiers of the IDF, do NOT use full auto in any live combat engadgments or training. FA is virtually non-existent. IDF combat doctrine uses Semi auto only.

While you will hear a vast array of responses from, my biased FA friends here, but you have to ask one question....who invented the weapon you are speaking of and what setting to they shoot it on?

The reason? SA is much more controlable and accurate and when bullets are flying at your face you tend to hold the trigger untill the heavens cry out.

Okay, not such a short answer but I've been gone a while

....miss me guys?

Haaaaaaa, post #120. Deja vu all over again.

Thank you for your service to the Holy Land, bendavid25. I mean it. Thank you.

Serious Tool? Are you kidding? Sure it's a serious Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Weaver
    Serious Tool? Are you kidding? Sure it's a serious Tool.
    Agreed, nothing takes the place of an adequate centerfire rifle when needed, but I think its an ideal SHTF gun for anything inside of 100 yards, and if you have the ability to load your own ammo, it's way faster to make alot of 9mm on a progressive press than it is to try and do all the case trimming and annealing of rifle brass to load it. Try and find any ammo if it does ever hit the fan, not likely to happen.

UZI Talk Life Member
    This thread has gone on and on. I think part of the reason I personally do not see a standard semiauto UZI as a great SHTF weapon is the long 16-inch barrel just makes the system less then handy.

I have got several hundred rounds through my Vector Mini Semiauto SBR now and it certainly is changing my oppinion of things. The little SBR is very accurate, very compact, and balances very nice. I am still adjusting to the stiff trigger system and the 9mm AR-15 sure is easier to shoot well.

I still don't think I would grab a semiauto UZI with the 16-inch barrel over an AR-15 in 9mm or 223 BUT a SBR Semiauto UZI depending on the situation, might just be brought over the AR-15! I will have more confidence in my SBR Mini after I get more rounds through it but so far it has won me over. I love shooting it with my Fisher Ent. UZI supressor too (nice and quiet).

I love this thread - I think it should be an eternal sticky....

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RuhRoRorge
    I love this thread - I think it should be an eternal sticky....
    I agree!!!

Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

BenDavid25

semi auto is a recent change. In history the IDF was rock and roll all the way. When Raful was Chief of Staff he really pushed the full auto shooting. Why because he remembers using full auto from his Uzi during the 6 Day war.

I remember during the first Lebanon war their were a bunch of trashed Galils from so much sustained full auto fire.

I also remember that in Kenya during the Mau Mau troubles the British issued semi auto Sterlings to the farmers to protect themselves.

Yoni

UZI Talk Life Member
    I think its a great SHTF weapon for the very same reason I think a 1911 pistol is a great back-up SHTF pistol. Simple. It is proven TO KILL PEOPLE. Were the UZI not effective at KILLING PEOPLE it would never have been adopted by Armies all over the world.
    One thing is for certain - when a military force evaluates a weapon considering buying say 10,000 or 100,000 of them - they want to make sure they can KILL PEOPLE if need be.
    It seems these armies have no need for a weapon that massages people to death, tickles people to death - or forces them to choke on their own vomit (or someone else's vomit) -- no, they seem to like the tried and true method of a precision instrument that punches holes in people really well - like the UZI. If it is good enough for them - its good enough for me in SHTF.

Although I hear good things about the Lorcin .380.........

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni
    BenDavid25

semi auto is a recent change. In history the IDF was rock and roll all the way. When Raful was Chief of Staff he really pushed the full auto shooting. Why because he remembers using full auto from his Uzi during the 6 Day war.

I remember during the first Lebanon war their were a bunch of trashed Galils from so much sustained full auto fire.

I also remember that in Kenya during the Mau Mau troubles the British issued semi auto Sterlings to the farmers to protect themselves.

Yoni
    Yoni,

Good point. However remember they also issued little booklets back in '65 that said you "don't need to clean your m-16" lol

My point being that tactics have changed and evolved over the years based on past experience. Tactics that were used by the IDF only 5-10 years ago are now obsolete. hell, some tactics used by the idf in since the last lebanon war are obsolete.

Bottom line is, today you don't hear full auto on an IDF range. the FA setting on our m4's are rusted closed (jk). Combat experience has dictated the current tactics.

Of course a little good ol american rock and roll never hurt too......

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bendavid25
    Yoni,

Good point. However remember they also issued little booklets back in '65 that said you "don't need to clean your m-16" lol

My point being that tactics have changed and evolved over the years based on past experience. Tactics that were used by the IDF only 5-10 years ago are now obsolete. hell, some tactics used by the idf in since the last lebanon war are obsolete.

Bottom line is, today you don't hear full auto on an IDF range. the FA setting on our m4's are rusted closed (jk). Combat experience has dictated the current tactics.

Of course a little good ol american rock and roll never hurt too......
    I didn't think it could be done but I think we out bounced the last post on this subject....woo hoo, eternal sticky is my vote.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot
    Thank you for your service to the Holy Land, bendavid25. I mean it. Thank you.
    Thanks for watching our backs America.

I voted Range Toy but only because it would not be one of my top choices. IMHO the operator is more important than the tool and a semi Uzi will meet all the needs that a 9mm can solve. The biggest drawback is the weight but Uzis in general are built like anvils and that is a good trait for SHTF scenarios.

ETA now that I have read the thread I have some more comments. Armys need the additional punch and range of a rifle caliber. They are offensive in nature and tend to face an organized well equipped opposition. When I think SHTF I think of chaotic breakdown of civilization where everyone is for themselves. In this situation one needs to be able to defend what is theirs and be able to procure what they need from those who can not defend it. Since the army's needs are not the same as in individual's different weapons suit each need differently.

A 9mm shoulder fired weapon is as good as any all in one type tool. It does many things adequately at the expense of not being the best at any of them. The key IMHO to a good gun in a SHTF situation is one that can do many things well. A 9mm carbine does just that so do M4s or AKs. The advantage of the 9mm carbine is that they are more discrete in both size and report and not drawing attention to yourself could prove advantageous.
    Last edited by #93; 11-22-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #93
    In this situation one needs to be able to defend what is theirs and be able to procure what they need from those who can not defend it. ...

Ah great... another one planning to kill his neighbors and take their stuff as soon as he thinks that the law won't be around to bring retribution. :

It's because of people like this guy that I own guns and practice with them regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Polar bear food
    Ah great... another one planning to kill his neighbors and take their stuff as soon as he thinks that the law won't be around to bring retribution. :

It's because of people like this guy that I own guns and practice with them regularly.
    I was actually thinking of all the diesel fuel at the power plant down the street from my buddies farm but given the context I may have taken it the same way you did. I don't plan on killing the neighbors but I would not be above stealing in an end of the world as we know it type situation to get what my family needs to live.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Semiauto UZI - Serious tool or a Range Toy?

Though I have an AR, an AK and an H&K, my 13 and 14 year old sons love my UZI Semi-16" carbine. Perhaps because of the mechanics, they are able to put rounds on target easier and faster with this carbine than any of the other rifles I have. The bottom line is they both are good with this little gun, and I have alot of confidence in their marksmanship and gun handling abilities. During the Katrina evacuation of houston, we were ready to protect our property from the goblins....thankfully none came around.
    Geat gun on the range for fun.......and great in the hands of those who are backing me up. I give it a thumbs up!

UZI Talk Life Member

The perfect SHTF gun for older children and larger midgets?

Cool!

Banned

Angry semi auto uzi is a joke

I have enjoyed reading these forms as a non-member for a while now.
    I had to register to post a reply to some of the tools that posted on this topic.

I cant believe some one here thinks a 9mm is as good as a 308 at 100 yrds.
    Does any one here hunt? I believe in a SHTF Situation you might need to get food. 9mm is not a round to be used for large game, distance shots or as a first choice weapon.

9mm does not punch well through cars or walls, or Level IIIA body armor unless you have ap rounds which are all but gone. At 40 yards FA is basicly useless.

An uzi is great up close, in small spaces. But a compact m16 will out perform it on almost all scenarios. The uzi has sights that suck and it weights too much. The trigger also sucks. The guy that has the red dot, BFD. A red dot sight can go out. The semi with 16" barrel is a joke and so is semi with the short barrel. FA is for up close stuff. Semi is damn i got stuck with this gun i hope someone does not start shooting at me. The semi is by far, far away from the best 1st choice weapon. The guys that think it is there go to piece, what a load of shi*. Any one here that posted anything about how it is the go to gun has not had to use it or carry it for extended time. 9mm is for puss3ies.

This gun is a range plinker or a I am stuck with it so i have to use it piece.
    I am not here to bash the gun since this is uzitalk but please stop smoking wacky weed.

Thanks
    Last edited by GeorgiaGuy; 12-22-2007 at 08:36 PM.

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GAguy
    I have enjoyed reading these forms as a non-member for a while now.
    I had to register to post a reply to some of the tools that posted on this topic.

I cant believe some one here thinks a 9mm is as good as a 308 at 100 yrds.
    Does any one here hunt? I believe in a SHTF Situation you might need to get food. 9mm is not a round to be used for large game, distance shots or as a first choice weapon.

9mm does not punch well through cars or walls, or Level IIIA body armor unless you have ap rounds which are all but gone. At 40 yards FA is basicly useless.

An uzi is great up close, in small spaces. But a compact m16 will out perform it on almost all scenarios. The uzi has sights that suck and it weights too much. The trigger also sucks. The guy that has the red dot, BFD. A red dot sight can go out. The semi with 16" barrel is a joke and so is semi with the short barrel. FA is for up close stuff. Semi is damn i got stuck with this gun i hope someone does not start shooting at me. The semi is by far, far away from the best 1st choice weapon. The guys that think it is there go to piece, what a load of shi*. Any one here that posted anything about how it is the go to gun has not had to use it or carry it for extended time. 9mm is for puss3ies.

This gun is a range plinker or a I am stuck with it so i have to use it piece.
    I am not here to bash the gun since this is uzitalk but please stop smoking wacky weed.

Thanks
    Welcome to UziTalk,nice to have you aboard Very colorful first post I'm sure others will find it interesting as well, maybe one day if your lucky you may even get the site STYF nomination. I for one would bring it up for vote. As I said glad to have you aboard.
    You earned the title "Marine" upon graduation from recruit training. It wasn't willed to you; it isn't a gift. It is not a government subsidy. Few can claim the title; no one may take it away. It is yours forever

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by carryaglock
    maybe one day if your lucky you may even get the site STYF nomination.
    +1
    Looking for the definitive reference book on UZI history and technical information? Check out my book The UZI Submachine Gun Examined. Details to order a copy are here.

+ Reply to Thread