UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .308 SAR

.308 SAR

Has andbody seen a .308 SAR with the shorter gas tube / piston; like the 5.56.

Has andbody shot it????????????????

Thanks
    Attached Images      

I know they do exist.
    I've seen them photographed in South America and Asia.

The ones I have seen appear to very from a 16-inch to 13-inch barrel length.
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Miami_Vice...#IMI_Galil_SAR

Oh yeah, and I finally found another Model 332S (I think I PMed you a few months ago about one)

They do exist, but I've never shot one. The barrel length on those is 15.75".
    1st pic is from Buddy's gallery. 2nd pic was posted recently by LC in the Honduran Galil thread (page 53, post 1053). The 2nd one has the forward bayo-lug.
    Last edited by chubby; 05-06-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Mr. Folgers, Glad you found your 323S photo, as I had none.

The other photo showing the early Magnum Research import (on the white towel); model 331, was the one on gunbroker a few months back by a person in Washinton State. It was one of the few that came in with a shorter barrel, no bayonet lug; but still had the standard length gastube-piston.

But that is in a standard AR/ARM gastube-piston configuration and it doesn't answer the question I asked above.

Chuddy,
    Thanks for the photos showing the gasblock configurations.

If you notive your first set of photo's; it looks like there is lightning cuts on the receiver / plus the early converted M14 mags contracted by Kline Machine Tool (KMT).

As for the bayonetted gasblock(s) on all of the photos above; it almost looks like a "AR" gasblock with the forward lug; because of its length.

I just picked up a UZI-AMERCA / Mossberg barreled-receiver in .308 and this is the direction I'm going for the Look.

If anyone of more photos or experience with shooting these shorter action; please share.
    Attached Images    
    Last edited by adipose; 05-06-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Good eye on the lightening cuts from that photo.
    I agree, it does look like those gas blocks have the integral forward bayonet lugs like some of the 5.56 AR models.
    I had my eye on that Mossberg Galil, kicking myself for not moving faster on it.
    I noticed the shorter 16" barrel on that rifle, but to me it looked like a full length gas system, the photo was a bit blurry though.
    Strange configuration, don't think I've ever seen one quite like that.
    You should sell it to me!
    I bet it kicks a huge fireball muzzle flash.

Quote Originally Posted by chubby View Post
    Good eye on the lightening cuts from that photo.
    I agree, it does look like those gas blocks have the integral forward bayonet lugs like some of the 5.56 AR models.
    I had my eye on that Mossberg Galil, kicking myself for not moving faster on it.
    I noticed the shorter 16" barrel on that rifle, but to me it looked like a full length gas system, the photo was a bit blurry though.
    Strange configuration, don't think I've ever seen one quite like that.
    You should sell it to me!
    I bet it kicks a huge fireball muzzle flash.
    They actually sold those barreled receivers in a lot of configurations. The rifle was brand new, never fired; with all new parts. Even his spare parts were great. Just need a new bolt from Jeff (The one he had was missing some of the parts)

Since it was local; I was able to go look at it in person and made a lower offer (cash in hand). Yes, it has a 16 inch barrel and is in the ARM standard length configuration, but I'll have the barrel cut to a little shorter length and have the proper flash hider welded on to make it correct length (and not have to SBR it).

Just need to find one of those flashhiders.

There was an extended .308 flash hider on gunbroker last week, looked kinda rare, fetched big $$. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=336719377

What does the crown look like on your barrel, I mean does it look original/factory?
    Pretty sure all the .308 Galils either had 18 or 20" barrels, right?
    So what you've got is definitely a rare piece.
    I have what I think is a factory IMI SAR length barrel blank, but it has a heavier profile like the Hadar II barrel.

Adipose and Chubby,
    I was curious if you guys can tell me what the pair of rivets just before the hammer axis pin on this .308 Galil are for? Pretty interesting thread here about the .308 Galil's I did not know there was SAR in .308. Lou
    Attached Images  

Here are pictures of the other side of the .308 Galil rifle.
    Attached Images    

Might be a replacement ejector. There's one shown in the Galil library (see link). Scroll down about halfway through the page, post #54 http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...-LIBRARY/page3

Exactly on the rivets. That is a early MR import AR model; in which there is no model number (All of first varients that came in at first were like that) and it also has "Galil Semi-Auto" stamped up front by the serial number.

The one you have above is the model 331; which came with a 20inch barrel and a bayonet lug.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I got a stainless 18 inch 308 SAR getting built. He said he never built one, but somewhere someone is using them.

Quote Originally Posted by adipose View Post
    Exactly on the rivets. That is a early MR import AR model; in which there is no model number (All of first varients that came in at first were like that) and it also has "Galil Semi-Auto" stamped up front by the serial number.

The one you have above is the model 331; which came with a 20inch barrel and a bayonet lug.
    Adipose,
    You have the largest collection of Galil's I have seen so I am going to ask you this question. What is you opinion on a MR import that has rivets (replacement ejector), do you think it is worth less (because it has been repaired) or did all MR import AR .308's come with a riveted ejector from IMI? Thanks Lou

The picture of the .308 Galil SAR that Mr Folger's posted from the Miami Vice page is pretty interesting. This rifle must have been in service in some Latin American before it made its way into the hands of a movie armorer. If you look closely the barrel (between rear of flash-hider and gasblock) it appears to have been cut down to accept a M203 grenade launcher, this is maybe why they cut the bayonet lug off also. Of course it could be another converted movie magic prop gun. There is another episode in Miami Vice that has a Vecktor R5 in it. I have it on MV season 2 disc DVD, I just don't know how to quite get a picture still. Lou
    Attached Images  

Adipose, not sure why you are asking about 'have you shot it?' but I built a SAR version of a 308. There doesn't seem to be alot of difference with a regular 308 at least at a hundred yards. I get decent accuracy ~1.5moa. The AR 308 gets a little bit better accuracy but that could be the barrel quality...

UZI Talk Supporter
    Dee,

What length barrel did you use?

Jb

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    Adipose, not sure why you are asking about 'have you shot it?' but I built a SAR version of a 308. There doesn't seem to be alot of difference with a regular 308 at least at a hundred yards. I get decent accuracy ~1.5moa. The AR 308 gets a little bit better accuracy but that could be the barrel quality...
    Dee, Could you post a pic and give details of the rifle? Did you use a SAR gastube and gasblock?

Thanks, Chuck

I'll get some pics/description this weekend...
    (I used a SAR GT + GB)

308 SAR/AR/ARM

OK, I decided to pry my ass away from the TV...
    308 SAR
    Name:  308 galil 5 10 13 007.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  137.1 KB
    308 family SAR AR ARM for comparison
    Name:  308 galil 5 10 13 008.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  138.5 KB
    The SAR and AR are builds, the ARM is IMI.
    For the SAR:
    used a APEX SAR kit with a 308 bolt.
    barrel is a GM
    Gas port is 0.074" (probably a little too big, but cycles fine)
    I left the barrel at 16" and hollowed out one of the Blackthorne extended flash hiders to give the impression of a SAR that has an extension to avoid SBR. (In other words a double fake )
    So in hindsight, the performance is similar to the 18" AR since the barrel is only 2" shorter.
    Also here's a pic from my property a couple of weeks ago
    Name:  308 galil 5 10 13 001.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  66.0 KB
    I was thinking of using one of the 308's
    Last edited by Dee; 05-10-2013 at 09:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread