UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst 1 5 15 55 75 LastLast

Thread: South African R series of weapons information thread (lots of pictures)

Ruski, I tried like heck to PM you these pictures, I could not figure it out to save my life. Sorry if I get off topic for a few pictures. Here is the pictures of my Blackhawk Stomp II medical bag and gear. Mine is OD and mainly set up for trauma to patching a scratch. First pictures are front and back- The first compartment holds larger bandages and instruments to handle bleeding,
    Attached Images      

Mor pictures of main comparment. Notice Isreali bandages( od packages right side of bag), if you can get some of these they are worth their weight in gold for blood loss, The bandage acts tourniquet and has blood clot in bandage material.
    Attached Images      

IV & airway kit compartment
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by lcastillo; 02-14-2012 at 12:23 AM.

SAM splints and wound irrigation
    Attached Images  

Ok last pictures guys. I promise to stop boring you with med crap. Here is blue strap field surgery kit pouch & red pouch syringes and meds. Oh yes the Stomp II is jump ready thanks Guys. Ruski you get all that?
    Attached Images      

Wow, thanks for the pics, thats such an awesome bag, all my Blackhawk is black except my one vest from when i was in England in british DPM camo.. hehe.
    Nah, the police union, sigh, they're ok, they get the guys more money from the government, at the same time they start so much crap. But by political here we mean race, they have an equity system in place here which means the SAPS must meat the demographic of the country, not the area. Its complicated.
    The R5's and R4's in brown where used by the army back in the 80's at a time when our army uniform was called 'nutria' a poo brown colour, everything was brown, hlemets everything, like dirt colour. when they moved over to 'soldier 2000' pattern and started making packs and vests in brown and black the rifles remained their factory black like the police ones after that. However, the army still paints their vehicles, whether its a toyota corolla or a truck, boring plain brown!!

Yikes that system sounds tough. Does the SAPS have any future plans to convert to the Tavor series rifle? Does the SAPS have any 7.62 "R" series rifles for sniper applications in inventory today? If you could carry any rifle besides an issued R4 & R5 what would that rifle be? I will take it easy on you tonight

Doesnt look like we will adopt the Tavor, we have such huge stocks of R series weapons , i dont think we will use anything else for now. STF use MP5's and UMP 9mm for house penetrations, but thats about it on the progress front. Our snipers use R700 style weapons, but each station does have an R2... now the R1, 2 and 3 where FN FAL copy weapons. 7.62, 20 rnd mag, they where used for years by all our forces before we adopted the Galil copy R4, 5 and 6... the R2 is a modern version of the R1 which had a solid wood stock, the R2 has the R4 style folding stock. They also put this stock on some of our Beretta shotguns when i was at Flying squad, easier to move in and out of vehicles with the stock down. But sadly, we don't receive training on the R2 at police college, so problem is, anyone who was brought into the force in the last 15 years, isnt trained to use the R2, so they sit in safes, cause older members don't carry them...

Ruski, Did you train with the FN FAL? How about the Vektor CR-21, did that make it out for SAPS use? I also saw the SA made Truvelo Raptor platform. It also accepts R-5 magazines. Was this a flop?
    Attached Images    

Wow, i have never seen one of those before, what an interesting thing... It looks like a new version of an R4 almost... very cool. I didn't train with the FN FAL/R1/R2/R3.. unfortunately i have only been in the force since 2001... they stopped training with those somewhere in the early 90's when they stopped doing anti terrorism as part of police basic, the last guys to go through COIN/TIN (counter insurgency) in the police got given AK's, uzi's G3's galils M4's everything to strip, put back together and shoot, must have been lovely! however they also trained with teargas alot.... not so keen on that.. in the SAPS we only use pepper spray, much weaker... hehe I've seen CR-21's for sale, but we didn't use them in service.

Ruski, Do you encounter any misfeeds or failure to eject rounds with your service R5? Especially when you are issued ammunition that has been stored for quite a while. What method do you use to clear your weapon of a misfire, failure to feed , etc? Are you just issued military ball ammunition for service duty? I was told that the Isreali Orlite magazine where designed for one time use in the battlefield. Does this hold true for the R5 plastic magazines in SA? Do you carry steel of composite magazines? Do you guys enjoy American style BBQ in SA ? Take care! Lou

Hey Lou, Funny you mention it, maybe you Jinx'd it, I have never had a stall or storage while firing but on Saturday i decided to do the guys a favour at the station and take 60 of their old rounds and replace them with my 2010 stuff, i added their stuff to my ammo boxes, trying to sort by date, like 1985, 86, 87... if the stuff is stored in boxes on a shelf its fine, but this stuff has been in and out of mags for years, and i had 3 stalls in a row... i'm not sur eit was the ammo cause i got P*****ed off and threw the mag in my gear bag, stripped the weapon changed out firing pin and ejector and reloaded and it was fine after that... shot the next set 2 minutes later, all fine..
    Method is pretty straight forward, by the book, romve mag, cycle twice by hand, check chamber for anything obstructing, reinsert mag , cock and 'point and click'... when you're on the firing line and everyone around you is shooting the excercise you gotta keep it by the book, or step off the line and strip it... or in my case i called one of the RO's to me and asked him to strip it and check my ejector... he swopped it with a stok noe and gave me my weapon back and i continued... unfortunately he took his stock one back after the match...
    I took you some nice pics, need to get my phone cable from the office and i will send them to you, and one is of the different ammo, all ball ammo yeah... just different years have different charges and batches...
    The orlite mas look so awesome, they look like the M14's some of the security guys are using now mags... in South Africa, even if it was designed for one time use, i can tell you its used over and over till it breaks.... which reminds you, got something for you, will RTS in the post... i carry the steel mags as they feed better for me as a shotist, and can be manipulated if you want a certain fit... plus its what the army has loads of, so we end up with them..
    BBQ, a South African Braai.... ou should wiki it, it is unique....we love em, just finished a great one this evening, my brother braai'd (direct translaton grill, but not the same) Ribs, lamb chops, boerewors, loads of different ones, a group of about 9 of us, good times in this heat!

I'd like those photos as well! Too bad you did not post 3 months ago, I was just in SA in December, could have brought you some mags. I will be there again next December(2013), planning to go for 6 weeks and visit some family in the Cape. But only if you invite me and the American wife to a braai, and you eat pap in front of me (you being a rooinek from the Cape and so on..).

Ruski, Sorry to have put the hex on you about ammunition, but someone has to keep you on your toes! Wow 80's vintage ammunition. I believe I have seen some SA 7.62 ball ammunition here at guns shows in Iowa. It came in a brown colored plastic bag with yellow lettering. Would that be correct for SA ammunition? I myself suffered some malfuctions with my Golani since I got it back from Century Arms. My pin that holds the piston and carrier together fell out and unscrewed about halfway out. It made my Golani suffer stovepipes, failure to extract, double feed and failure to eject. I was ready to throw my weapon in the river. It was my own doing by putting in the wrong roll pin by mistake. Thanks for thinking of me Ruski this weekend I look forward to your post. Are your armourers sent to Isreal for certification to work on your weapons or are they trained in SA? Do you keep a kit of extra parts for your R5 and if you do what parts do you have for backup? I am afraid to ask what hagar refers to as "pap"? I am glad to see you guys also like to grill (I maean braai) just like guys here in the US. I will make sure if hagar comes out to see you to send you a couple of bottles of BBQ sauce. Take care and I am sure I will have a new round of questions for tommorow. Lou

P.S. I will leave you with some pictures of my malfunctions and yes that is my UTG rail. I did cut some of the rail to modify it to my specs. I will post about how that went at later time.
    Attached Images      

I wanted to explain that the reason my roll pin fell out was that I converted my Golani to a AK-47 bolt carrier. I had some issues with the AK carrier and decided to switch back to the original configuration. I noticed that my accuraccy was off when shooting with the AK bolt carrier, When I switched back to the Galil carrier my accuracy improved. I could not figure out what was the cause. I was shooting with bipod rest and used both .223 and 5.56mm ammunition. I will post the silouttes for you to see. I was shooting at 44 yards, low wind conditions and temp was 45 degrees F. In the first target the center mass shots where with the AK carrier with .223, I then used the Galil carrier for next group on the head and the group was tighter, so I then shot in the neck area to confirm the pattern. In the second picture I switched to 5.56 mm ammunition and once again I fired center mass with AK carrier and for head group shots I used the Galil carrier ( I drew a square to reference my sights on the same spot with each shot) You can see the same pattern evolved again.
    Attached Images    

close up of targets Take care Ruski!
    Attached Images    

Pap is similar to grits but a lot better. The Capetonians are known to think it is not food fit for human consumption!

Quote Originally Posted by hagar View Post
    Pap is similar to grits but a lot better. The Capetonians are known to think it is not food fit for human consumption!
    LOL Thanks Hagar, I thought it was going to be some kind of animal. Take care! Lou

Rofl @ Hagar, Howsit, yeah, Pap en sous is like overcooked maize breakfast porridge with tomato and onion spicy sauce on, it is a very afrikaans thing, however... if it is on offer at abraai, i would never refuse as it does taste nice We do like our braai ne Hagar!

Lol yeah, i suppose you could call it vintage now, but its still sealed in its brown plastic bags with tags when we get it, i will include a pic of one of the bags i have here, its a 9mm one, my 5.56 is in my safe downstairs but you get the idea. As far as i know our armourers are trained here, but it is a very very select role here so they get sent all over, I think we have something like 10 qualified armourers in Western Cape, which is crazy. We keep a bag of spares on t he range for just in cases... but to truely get a part, you have to either travel to National champs, where you get whateveryou need, or you have to apply and send it away to the armourers. Oh and my stoppages seem to be mostly double feeds, probably my mag, but i will have to sort it out for next months competition.

Really interesting about the recievers being interchangeable, i was reading your post on that, seems funky to be able to change out parts like that, but hey, cool, means we can get AK parts legally, lol

Hey guys, one favour here, I havent had a chance to edit any of the pictures, so all my serial numbers are showing, please if you want a pic, i will happily e-mail you the originals, just need to blur the serials

+ Reply to Thread