UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "The Guns of Dagenham" by Skennerton... Any available?

"The Guns of Dagenham" by Skennerton... Any available?

I'm looking for a copy and everyone I have ordered from responds with an indefinite backorder notice. Anyone selling or know where I can find a copy?

Don't know if you tried this place, they say they have it.

http://www.booktrail.com/Guns_MilitM...ham,%20The.asp

BookTrail.com but they want $20 more

UZI Talk Supporter

just keep checking all the book websites....you will eventually find one at a good price...thats how i got my copy

Yep- I already placed an order at booktrail- they responded saying it is out of stock...

DSA is out of stock too.

Those books on the various book sites have been on back order for years now, your best bet is finding a used one for sale, Amazon has several they are in the $125.00 price range now. I paid a little less than that for a used one but never found a book at the suggested retail price of $48.00. Well worth getting even at todays higher prices.

I think this is where I got mine, it's been a while. They don't say if it's in stock or not.
    http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/th...anchester.html

UZI Talk Life Member
    Per David Howroyd, 3500 were printed and they have now sold out completely. Collector Grade does not intend to print or sell any more books. At this point, your best bet is a private WTB on a forum such as Sturm.
    "Tyranny thrives best where government need not fear the wrath of an armed people.... The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision... Assuming you can never lose your freedom, is a mistake a free people get to make only once."
    --Judge Alex Kozinski of the Ninth Circuit Court in Silviera v. Lockyer

Try Gun Show Books, they have them new for $124.95. Not cheap but they have them.

While searching the internet for the book I found a listing for .PDF download. Went to the site to download it, first I had to register, did that cost $1.99 ( OK with that ) went back to download it. Great news not there. Don't get suckered by that site.
    FILECATCH dot COM
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Junkcollector; 10-10-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: add screen shot

WARNING Another ripoff site

like the gentalman said justabove me hereis another ripoff siteclaiming to have the book in pdf but didnt
    Attached Images  

The book “A History of the Small Arms Made by the Sterling Armament Company: Excellence in Adversity” is basically a reprint of GoD. Some have complained of the quality since they appear to have scanned the old to make the new though.

I HAVE THE NEW STERLING BOOK - BRAND NEW CONDITION

UZI Talk Life Member
    I have both of these books, and have set about to do a detailed comparison between these "editions" which I hope to list here sometime... But from a wide view I can see the influence of James Edmiston in the new one in terms of promoting elements of his legacy at Sterling which may have been missing from the first one. After all TGOD authors did not include him, and as far as I know Howroyd (RIP) & Laidler did not contribute anything to this new book.

Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    I have both of these books, and have set about to do a detailed comparison between these "editions" which I hope to list here sometime... But from a wide view I can see the influence of James Edmiston in the new one in terms of promoting elements of his legacy at Sterling which may have been missing from the first one. After all TGOD authors did not include him, and as far as I know Howroyd (RIP) & Laidler did not contribute anything to this new book.
    How's the quality on the new one? I read some negative reviews, about them just scanning TGOD and the pics being lesser quality.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I don't see any quality degradation... Definitely the original was not scanned for this new book. The text of the new book has a different font and size. Looking at nearly identical pages between the books you can see this. The same pictures will sometimes appear smaller or otherwise re-sized to fit the new book's layout. Could be that some of the pictures or diagrams were scanned from the old, but if scanned, the quality does not detract when compared directly to their counterparts in the original book.

UZI Talk Life Member
    One example of likely scan and slight loss of resolution is the right picture of figure #105 - page 82 old, 83 new: This is a picture of the underside of the magwell with all the British patent numbers. The one in the new book shows less fine texture in the crackle finish at the left hand side of the picture than the one from the old book.
    Last edited by nuge; 04-12-2021 at 05:50 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Finished making a detailed list of differences between the books tonight and will summarize and share a little later. Meanwhile I ordered more "new" books since they are really cheap right now.

UZI Talk Life Member
    A History of the Small Arms Made by the Sterling Armament Company is a worthy "2nd Edition" of TGoD in my opinion. It definitely bears the stamp of James Edmiston and his continuing efforts to establish his legacy, set the record straight about the Sterling Company and about his efforts to save it. Essentially all of TGoD is subsumed in this new book. The quality of the new book is on par with the old one in terms of its construction - pages, binding, etc. The new font and layout make the new book more readable and the flow easier to follow for me. Yes, some of the pictures and diagrams in the new book are slightly lower resolution compared to the originals in TGoD, but it is not a negative for me when reading the the new edition by itself. The additional material, although not extensive, is a plus for the new book. In the absence of TGoD this new book is essential for Sterling owners and aficionados. I am happy to have both!

Great write up of the differences. On point 22 (Jim Sullivan) it's possible it was referring to relatively current times. Sterling Armament was back in existence during the 2017-2018 time frame and Edmiston was involved. Though the website is defunct again you can find an old page on Facebook that shows some of the products they were planning on offering along with a statement that the company had gone out of business again. Edmiston's other venture, shotgun manufacture Boxall & Edmiston, also went out of business in 2018.

+ Reply to Thread