UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Ak binary trigger

The one I recieved an email about are made by Franklin armory not fostech. A drop in contraption for 500.00 retail

UZI Talk Supporter

I noticed the other source for binary ak triggers has his version back in stock. At $125 the "Binary Boogie Hook" is one-fourth the price of the Fostech or the Franklin Arms.
    Anybody use one of these before? Not many videos of them online.

Just wonderin'

UZI Talk Supporter
    Despite my earlier posts concerning Binary Triggers, I'm considering them for my AK, Mini Draco, and 1 of my ARs

UZI Talk Supporter

Well, after (edited to reflect correct number of days) 792 days I finally received my Fostech AK Echo trigger today. I kind of thought these were the "unobtainium" of the ak world.
    It may be awhile before I have the time to install and test fire this unit, but it is cool it finally got here.
    Last edited by BlackBelt; 02-29-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Interesting. I pre-ordered mine December 28, 2017. That would be just shy of 800 days. BlackBelt, did you pay full price in advance? I paid the $250.00 deposit.

UZI Talk Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 89lx View Post
    Interesting. I pre-ordered mine December 28, 2017. That would be just shy of 800 days. BlackBelt, did you pay full price in advance? I paid the $250.00 deposit.

My dumbass didnt add the days correctly...my apologies.
    You and I ordered the same day.
    Just a reminder why I shouldnt do math and post late at night.
    I just paid the deposit and then sent the rest this week when they requested it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBelt View Post
    You and I ordered the same day.
    Oh good, I feel better. Well, not about waiting over two years. But at least I should be getting an e-mail soon. Thanks!!

But at least I should be getting an e-mail soon. Thanks!!
    Just received my e-mail. Made the payment. Finally!!

UZI Talk Supporter

I had some free time tonight so I got out my AK's to see about installing the Echo AK trigger.

I first tried a Lancaster Polish underfolder with 1.6mm U.S. made receiver that I got years ago from Atlantic Firearms. This is one of the high quality AK's Lancaster built during the early years.

The Echo unit control faceplate would not lay flush against the right side of the receiver because there is a rivet where the control faceplate goes. That rivet holds the base of the underfolding stock together, so there is no rifle modification that would work.

Ok, no problem. Ive got a Norinco Mak-90 waiting.

Once again the Echo unit side control plate would not lay flush against the right side of the receiver because it was laying over the top of the selector stop.

Bottom line is although the unit is high quality, using it would require modifications I'm not ready to make to my weapon or to the Echo unit faceplate.

**Update**

I decided to go ahead and cut the back end of the Echo AK control faceplate so that it would fit around the rivet head on the underfolder receiver.
    The notch cut into the faceplate does not affect function in any way and actually looks really good.

After cutting the notch I assembled the rest of the Echo unit into and onto the AK receiver.

The only installation issue I ran into was that the screw hole in the selector lever that connects it to the control faceplate was just a tiny bit too small in diameter to let the screw pass through. I believe the problem was the anodization on the aluminum coated the inside of the hole and made the hole smaller. No big deal. Just reamed it out a little and the screw passed through fine.

I assembled the rifle and started function testing like Fostech recommends, which involves hand cycling the gun. Safe and Semi ran well. However, in Echo (binary) mode the bolt carrier would not retract. I pulled the top cover off and found the issue.

There is a ramped transfer bar of some sort that runs beside the left side rail. As the bolt carrier retracts the pointed end of the transfer bar thing is supposed to dive under the bolt carrier. On mine the pointed end of the bar was hanging on the squared off edge of the back left side of the bolt carrier.
    I took the bolt carrier out and made a few passes with a flat file to knock that 90 degree angle back to more of a ramp shape.
    I reinstalled the bolt and carrier and the hand cycle function on Echo mode worked perfectly. The pointed end of the transfer bar now hits the angled ramp on the bolt carrier and dives under it like it is supposed too.

General observations on the Echo AK trigger:
    *A VERY well made quality unit.
    *Easy to install (especially when compared to the AR15 version).
    *Trigger is kinda squishy like the AR Echo version.
    *Where the original selector lever used to be there is now an open slot that could allow debris into the receiver. Not a huge concern because its an AK, but still something to be aware of.
    *After installation and hand cycling I lubricated the unit with silicone spray. That seemed to smooth out the Echo triggers action by maybe 30%. Definitely recommend light lube after installation.

Latest update:
    With the Echo unit installed on the underfolder AK the stock will not fold all the way up to the lower handguard. The Echo unit faceplate is too raised for the right side arm of the stock to pass over it.
    I took the AK to the woods and it did not function correctly. The upward pressure of the cassete style trigger group hammer seemed to rob the bolt carrier of enough forward energy to push a round out of the mag and into the chamber.

I removed the Echo unit from the Polish underfolder and installed it on the Mak-90 AK.
    Once again the upward pressure of the hammer as the bolt passes over slows the bolt to the point of malfunction.
    When I get time I will see about adjusting it a bit and report back about the results.

*Last Update*
    Took the Mak-90 with Echo trigger to the range yesterday.
    The problem listed above about the trigger group/hammer assembly pushing upward with so much pressure that the bolt carrier wont go forward after passing over it, essentially hanging up on the trigger group, still exists.

I was messing around with it and another shooter at the range offered to buy it. I told him what was not working with it and he looked at it and thought he could fix it. I sold it to him on the spot. I don't care about the financial loss. It was just a gamble that I didn't win.
    Wasn't the first time and certainly won't be the last that I take a chance and lose.

I highly recommend NOT buying the Echo AK unit.
    Maybe Fostech will work out the issues with it eventually.

I know the tendency some people have to make judgements about those that try something new and it fails. I don't mind the criticisms, but hope my experiences might keep others from following the same path.

Some people take a risk that others are afraid too.
    If a person buys a car and the car doesn't run properly, do we blame the buyer?
    No, the fault lies with the manufacturer.
    In a case where the manufacturer only gives lip-service to 'after the sale' issues, the purchase is a calculated risk/reward situation.
    Last edited by BlackBelt; 03-26-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Update

UZI Talk Supporter
    All that money for all that trouble?

Modify the echo ? Now I guess it can't be returned.

You listed a ton of crap that is not right now since it installed. Like the stock not folding and other stuff.

BlackBelt do you nave pix of this thing installed and all that?

Reading your post is not encouraging.

Why not go with the double hook binary home brew setup. Their is no mods to the gun other then swapping out the FCG for the modded double hook trigger.

Then you are out 20 bux in parts. Easier to swallow that then 600 for a gimmick that by your own admission is a massive failure.

Anyone else having these problems BB is describing?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBelt View Post
    With the Echo unit installed on the underfolder AK the stock will not fold all the way up to the lower handguard. The Echo unit faceplate is too raised for the right side arm of the stock to pass over it.
    Similar issues here when installed in a Zastava PAP M92PV. Manual function test, won't function in "echo" mode. And same as BlackBelt, the bolt carrier drags so much that half of the time it won't close. All of this in manual mode.

Not real happy.
    Last edited by 89lx; 03-26-2020 at 10:17 AM. Reason: context

UZI Talk Supporter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsoJ...ature=youtu.be

This 20 dollar home made binary trigger should make anyone having above problems weep.

I've thought about making and installing one but I just don't shoot my AK's and haven't done the research to see if it will work in the russian farmer.

Rich

UZI Talk Supporter
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    This 20 dollar home made binary trigger should make anyone having above problems weep.
    I already had about 2 years on the wait before I heard about that. Wish I had heard sooner.

I'd installed 6 of the AR ECHO triggers and never had any real issues. So I expected the AK version to install and function in a similar manner. Unfortunately, I would recommend AGAINST anyone investing in the AK version.

My son bought the Franklin Armory version and installed it in a WASR. I thought it was a stupid idea at the time...………… Until I shot it.
    OMG what a blast! That thing runs like a sewing machine. The best part was the controllability. He has since installed it into a different WASR without any issues.
    What I don't care for is how the trigger shoe is attached by a baby Allen screw...… if you loose it ? The safety lever sucks too. It's too short. I think they made it that way so you can reach it with one finger in case you need to switch from binary to semi on the fly.
    Unfortunately you loose the dust cover seal. Not a big deal but I like stuff to look like it should.

I went ahead and purchased a Franklin Armory BFSIII AK-CI to install in my Zastava PAP M92PV since the AK ECHO did not work. The Franklin uses the bolt that holds the pistol grip to secure the rear of the Trigger Group Assembly. So on my installation I had to drill out the threads in the pistol grip mount. Other than that, it dropped right in and dry-fired properly in ECHO/Binary mode with no adjustment necessary. I haven't made it to the range yet, but I am anticipating no issues with the BFSIII.

My 2 cents.....

Updated 22 May 2020 - Took the M92 to the range. The BFSIII worked as advertised. Live and learn...
    Last edited by 89lx; 05-28-2020 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Added range update

My friend had purchased the BSFIII AK-CI and has had no issues yet. It's working fine.

I just installed trigger in my pap m92pv. I have same problem as you except also the hammer will not fire in any position. The trigger fits loosely in the receiver there is side play. I think its made for the thicker walled receiver. I'm thinking it needs shims on the receiver walls to tighten it in there. Even though the trigger holes line up ok the bolt does not cycle correctly either. I wonder if fostech will fix the rifle to make it work if I sent it to them.

Similar issues here when installed in a Zastava PAP M92PV. Manual function test, won't function in "echo" mode. And same as BlackBelt, the bolt carrier drags so much that half of the time it won't close. All of this in manual mode.

Not real happy.
    I just installed trigger in my pap m92pv. I have same problem as you except also the hammer will not fire in any position. The trigger fits loosely in the receiver there is side play. I think its made for the thicker walled receiver. I'm thinking it needs shims on the receiver walls to tighten it in there. Even though the trigger holes line up ok the bolt does not cycle correctly either. I wonder if fostech will fix the rifle to make it work if I sent it to them.

+ Reply to Thread