UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help needed getting 22 kit to eject

Help needed getting 22 kit to eject

I need help ejecting... Fire fine, extract fine, but I'm not hitting my ejector. Casings just stay locked in the extractor. Picture below, should the ejector and extractor have so much space between them? Any other adjustments I should make? Thanks!

eta: Before this point I found that the ejector was leaned about 10 degrees towards the left side of the gun and throwing the mags way off center. Bent it to vertical and mags are looking much better now.

Last edited by Kingpen; 01-22-2021 at 05:19 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member

A couple of things you might check. First make sure your top cover is tight enough to hold the bolt down all the way so it's not riding up too high. Next check where the ejector is fitting in it's groove, look at it from the front, it could be bent sideways slightly and dragging on the bolt not allowing it to ride deep enough. This is common. Just bend it gently until it's centered in the groove. Might need a little dremel work to fine tune it. Also check the angle on the back side of it. The last thing is it may just be too short either from wear or poor fitting. These are cheap and easy to replace requiring drilling out and replacing one rivet. I'm sure others here will chime in with further advice as there are some smart cookies on this forum, but these are issues I have seen in the past. Best of luck!

PS also check your rivet to make sure the head isn't too tall causing the bolt to ride up over it.

Administrator
    The .22 kits don't use the 9mm ejector to eject the cases. The .22 ejector is a notch built into the left-hand feed lip of the .22 magazine. Do you have problems with all magazines?
    Looking for the definitive reference book on UZI history and technical information? Check out my book The UZI Submachine Gun Examined. Details to order a copy are here.

UZI Talk Life Member

Rover Dave is right (that's why he's Rover Dave!) I should have looked closer at your picture. This is a different conversion than the one I had experience with. (Vector perhaps?) Although it appears that the extractor position could be part of the problem as you have already discovered. Are you using the plastic Blackdog mags or do you have metal ones? I ask because I have acquired many magazines over the years and I may have some that could be of use to you.

Quote Originally Posted by RoverDave View Post
    The .22 kits don't use the 9mm ejector to eject the cases. The .22 ejector is a notch built into the left-hand feed lip of the .22 magazine. Do you have problems with all magazines?
    Well then... better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt... or you don't know what you don't know. Something like that!!

I've had problems with every step with this kit, so that is why I'm all over the place looking for fixes. I just rant it a few times and finally had some success if I held the mag pushed as far in as I can.

(Kit is supposed to be a vector kit that has been sent to BWE for a slow bolt conversion, I have 2 metal mags, and a bunch of plastic mags, I've just been using the metal mags)

Pic with metal mag inserted, I see were the ejection part of the mag is, but that shoulder is so soft, should I try to sharpen it up?-

Second issue is the recoil spring. The kit came with two of them. One of them is so strong that the bolt simply doesn't come back enough to even attempt to extract, and the other one is so loose that it cannot strike the 22 hard enough to fire. I'm trying to make one somewhere in between right now, I've cut about 10 turns out so far:

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    Rover Dave is right (that's why he's Rover Dave!) I should have looked closer at your picture. This is a different conversion than the one I had experience with. (Vector perhaps?) Although it appears that the extractor position could be part of the problem as you have already discovered. Are you using the plastic Blackdog mags or do you have metal ones? I ask because I have acquired many magazines over the years and I may have some that could be of use to you.
    I've got 2 metal mags and a bunch of the curved plastic single stacks. Haven't gotten far enough to compare much so far. That would be awesome.

OK... this is starting to work and is awesome. Getting some runs of 5-8-10 in a row.

So every time I take a couple of rings off of the (spare) recoil spring it gets better and better. I must be at about 15 rings off so far. Obviously if I go too far, it won't have enough striking power and I'm back to square one.

But here's my (hopefully not stupid) question. Are people getting full semi function out of their 22 kits? As it sits right now, the bolt is never coming back far enough to hold. And it makes sense to me that these kits just aren't dialed in enough to have great semi function. But if they aren't meant to function fine in semi, then that will let me know that I for sure haven't taken enough off of the spring and should keep going.

UZI Talk Life Member

22s are notoriously ammo sensitive. Try some different stuff if you have it. CCI minimags were once highly recommended for the conversions.

Sounds like you're making good progress!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Follow the setup procedures pinned to the top of the Uzi forum.
    Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

BWE Firearms & Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

UZI Talk Life Member
    Best 22 ammo I've found for any semi auto is Aquila super extra 40 or 38 grain copper coated, if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    22s are notoriously ammo sensitive. Try some different stuff if you have it. CCI minimags were once highly recommended for the conversions.

Sounds like you're making good progress!
    Cool deal. Yea, been switching back and forth between some mini mags and some cheaper stuff. Looks like I took one too many rings out of the recoil spring and I'm getting a good bit of failure to fires now, good thing they are only $10. Off to numrich to get some more!

Quote Originally Posted by BWE Firearms View Post
    Follow the setup procedures pinned to the top of the Uzi forum.
    Working through the list now. Thank you for your contributions. Hard to see, but there is one of your feed ramps in there that I had added last year!

Hi,

FWIW, IIRC, 105 coils is about a good starting length for the spring. If you cut one short you can add a spacer to increase the preload on the spring. Sometimes only a 1/4 is all that is needed. Watch your lube carefully. Use it sparingly. Drag is your enemy with these kits. Verify w/o the recoil spring & w/o ammo that the bolt glides w/o a hitch from end-to-end on travel and the bolt doesn't strike the forward top edge of the ejection port.

Note: You cannot extract and eject a live round from these kits w/o pulling down the magazine. If you pull back really hard on the cocking knob it will go boom. There just isn't room for the loaded round to swing clear of the chamber as it hits the ejector.

As mentioned, please start from the top and follow the tuning directions.

Many folks get the BDM mags to work. I've gotten them to work from time to time. I've had better luck with other magazines.

Enjoy,

K2

+ Reply to Thread