UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 drums

UZI Talk Supporter

AK-47 drums

I can get a metal 75 round back loader for $70, or a Russian top loading snail mag for $250. I want to get at least two. I have heard from multiple people that the snail drum is better, but is is that much better? I'd like to have this tucked away before the fall, and I don't mind buy once cry once but I'd like to hear from someone with experience using both if they think it's worth the extra dough.

UZI Talk Life Member

Is this for a semi automatic or RR? I have one of the Russian top loaders and several of the back loaders. I almost never use the Russian drum because it takes much longer to load and should be loaded just before use. The rear loading drums can be loaded and given half a turn and left that way indefinitely. When you want to use the drum, crank it up and use it. That way the spring isn't fully wound up in storage. I have a couple of the 100 round and several of the 75s. I don't own an AK RR but I do own several 7.62x39 AR uppers to be used with my DIAS and a MGI modular lower with an AK magwell. I also have a Tenko adapter that I use with AR 7.62x39 mags. My first machinegun gun was a Colt M16 RR. I have some Franken mags and a 75 round rear loading drum with an AR tower. They are a lot of fun run in full auto. Some day I will get around to owning an AK RR.

Personally I don't bother with drums for semi automatics. I was planning to buy a M16 when I bought my first Beta C. I bought it used. I cleaned it, put the graphite to it while loading, and shot it in semi. It ran fine. I remember thinking at around 85 to 90 rounds "I hope this drum runs out soon, because my trigger finger is getting sore." Certainly if you want drums for a semi automatic, go for it. Most of the dozen or so Beta C drums that I own were bought used and had only been used a couple of times. Apparently I am not the only guy that gets tired of pulling the trigger over and over and over again. Most of the sellers said that they were going to roll the money from the drums into standard 30 round mags. Good luck with your drum purchase.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter
    Planning for a full auto upper for my mac hosts in the (hopefully) near future!

Sounds like the metal back loaders are good enough?
    Last edited by Gaujo; 07-16-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Norinco back loaders are the best IMO.

UZI Talk Life Member

The load from the back work best for me, mostly for the convenience. Both have run fine for me.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter
    Ok I bought 3 to have tucked away. This was the best price for anyone looking.

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/RWB...product_detail

Seems like South Korean = KCI = RWB = Norinco?

UPDATE: Not the same see Richards comments
    Last edited by Gaujo; 08-09-2020 at 08:11 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member

Norinco is chinese and are the best. I have two of the circle 39 mags with pouches.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I have both top load and back load drums. Both work great, but loading the top loading drums is NOT fun.
    Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

I've got three I should get rid of. I never use them. They're really heavy when full loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Ok I bought 3 to have tucked away. This was the best price for anyone looking.

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/RWB...product_detail

Seems like South Korean = KCI = RWB = Norinco?
    The Chinese are the best but rare and expensive these days due to the ban back in the day. Any back loader drum under $100 these days is likely the Korean copy. I have a couple of the original Chinese 75s, back in the day when Chinese 30s were $5 I could hardly justify spending $30 for a 75! Like was said, load then crank the spring just a couple three turns for storage. I keep one in my MAK90, the spring is wound just enough to feed the first few rounds if I need to shoot before I have a chance to wind it more. Yep, damn heavy but I figure with 75 on board I either solve the problem or more rounds probably wouldn't have mattered. It's not like I'm carrying it around, it stays in the closet for emergencies.

Chinese manufacture (Triangle 36 arsenal mark, Norinco IIRC) 75rd back-loader:
    ChiComDrumOpenEmpty by E P, on Flickr

[IMG]ChiComDrumOblEmpty by E P, on Flickr[/IMG]

Romanian manufacture 75rd top loader:

[IMG]RomyAKDrum6 by E P, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]RomyAKDrum4 by E P, on Flickr[/IMG]

UZI Talk Supporter
    I have both original Chinese 75rd back loaders and a new Romanian 75rd back loader. The Romanian surprised me. The fit/finish of the drum is excellent. If you get a chance to buy one, don't pass it up.
    Stay Safe,
    Glockdude1.........................

"If War is HELL, Take a better Pitchfork than the DEVIL!!!"

UZI Talk Supporter
    Now that's some detailed inside info DistalRadius! Thanks. Was this a special commission or had you allready done them?

They're just the drums I had on hand. FYI there has been speculation that the Korean drums are actually unmarked Chinese drums routed through Korea to get around import restrictions. (But I was unable to dig up anything regarding import restrictions on Chinese magazines.)

Quote Originally Posted by DistalRadius View Post
    They're just the drums I had on hand. FYI there has been speculation that the Korean drums are actually unmarked Chinese drums routed through Korea to get around import restrictions. (But I was unable to dig up anything regarding import restrictions on Chinese magazines.)
    Put A KCI drum next to a Chinese Drum and you will see why the KCI is the lowest price in the marketplace.
    We had a few returned due to failed spot welds, so I quit stocking them.
    The Romanian made back loaders and top loaders are a great magazine and a solid value.

The last large lot of Chinese drums to enter the USA were smuggled in by having Bulgarian Circle 10 markings added by the exporter in the UK.
    Karl Kleber (Transarms) and Gary Hyde & Paul Restorick (York Guns) went to jail for their efforts!

Richard

Wow, thanks for the clarification!

UZI Talk Supporter
    Dang. Chinese are out then. The only thing which is apparent to me is the difference in how the tower is attached. The body appears stamped, and the backplate is hinged. Where are the welds in question? Thanks for sharing your deep knowledge!

Also do your Romanian drum pouches fit the back loaders?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Romanian back loader

Chinese back loader

Korean back loader

UZI Talk Life Member

What's with the red primer? Every AK drum I have ever seen is blued. The Chinese 100 round drums are expensive, but for a machinegun that 25% extra capacity is fun.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    What's with the red primer? Every AK drum I have ever seen is blued. The Chinese 100 round drums are expensive, but for a machinegun that 25% extra capacity is fun.

Scott
    It was just a special run someone ceracoated.

+ Reply to Thread