UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MINI UZI SMG postie build

MINI UZI SMG postie build

So, first let me preface this by saying that I am not completely new at building mini uzis. I have done two previous post sample open bolt builds. I used a receiver repair section for both, and while the welding could have been better, they both run extremely well for their new owners. One was for a machine gun rental business and the other was for an Instagram gun bunny of some repute. I have two kits left that I wanted to build for myself. One an open bolt, and the other a closed bolt. The open bolt shouldn't be a problem, but I've never seen a factory closed bolt SMG. I picked up a closed bolt assembly years ago at a gun show to hold onto until I got all the parts together. Based on the relief cut for the cocking slide on the bolt, I assumed it was for a micro, but I'm pretty sure I could use it in the mini if I welded that relief up. If anybody knows different, please let me know. The parts kit I got was interesting. It's an IMI marked receiver, with a very late serial number range. The gun was torch cut length-wise through the trunnion, so the front section will need to be reconstituted. However, I noticed some interesting aspects of what was left of the trunnion and surrounding receiver. The trunnion is definitely skeletonized, with the cutouts for the bolt feet clearance, however, it does not have the typical cutouts in the receiver for bolt feet clearance. This made me think it might be a factory closed bolt SMG. But, having never seen one, I can't confirm, and very little information on these configurations exist from what I can see. If anybody can help identify this stuff I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to attach pictures, but I don't know how to reduce the quality to the required pixel rate.

Name:  20210510_195354 v2.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  159.2 KBName:  20210510_195218 v2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  139.8 KBName:  20210510_195317 v2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  171.2 KB

Name:  20210510_195440 v2.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  98.7 KB

Iím pretty sure the micro uzi springs are 1/4 inch shorter than the mini.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromAZ View Post
    So, first let me preface this by saying that I am not completely new at building mini uzis. I have done two previous post sample open bolt builds. I used a receiver repair section for both, and while the welding could have been better, they both run extremely well for their new owners. One was for a machine gun rental business and the other was for an Instagram gun bunny of some repute. I have two kits left that I wanted to build for myself. One an open bolt, and the other a closed bolt. The open bolt shouldn't be a problem, but I've never seen a factory closed bolt SMG. I picked up a closed bolt assembly years ago at a gun show to hold onto until I got all the parts together. Based on the relief cut for the cocking slide on the bolt, I assumed it was for a micro, but I'm pretty sure I could use it in the mini if I welded that relief up. If anybody knows different, please let me know. The parts kit I got was interesting. It's an IMI marked receiver, with a very late serial number range. The gun was torch cut length-wise through the trunnion, so the front section will need to be reconstituted. However, I noticed some interesting aspects of what was left of the trunnion and surrounding receiver. The trunnion is definitely skeletonized, with the cutouts for the bolt feet clearance, however, it does not have the typical cutouts in the receiver for bolt feet clearance. This made me think it might be a factory closed bolt SMG. But, having never seen one, I can't confirm, and very little information on these configurations exist from what I can see. If anybody can help identify this stuff I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to attach pictures, but I don't know how to reduce the quality to the required pixel rate.
    Ok. So. If youíre planning to permanently modify a closed SMG bolt, donít. Those bolts with a fully supported feed lip are extremely difficult to find. Better to use it in a Micro build where it belongs than in yet another Mini of which there are plenty.

As for identification, it probably was a Micro bolt or possibly an UZI PRO SMG bolt. If the latter is the case, there would be a little pinhole on the left side to accommodate a side-charging handle.

I've posted this picture in a previous thread but there's no need to modify the micro bolt to work with a Mini Uzi. Just replace the cocking handle bolt with a longer one and add a nut to the bottom. It will fit into the cut in the micro bolt and cock the bolt.

With a closed bolt you don't need to use the expensive and hard to find ratcheting top cover. I used the USbarrelshrouds semi top cover.

Name:  uz.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  133.1 KB
    Last edited by TSPC; 06-14-2021 at 05:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread