UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AMP-10 uppers

AMP-10 uppers

What's the scoop on these? No aftermarket support, but did they run worth anything? Tired of waiting for Lage to do another run of 10/31 uppers at this point and the Tenko and 10-15 appear to be stuck in limbo indefinitely.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Amp is dead, company gone.

If you don’t want to wait for Lage/Tenko then make your own.

UZI Talk Life Member

The AMP series of uppers was supposed to be modular and have multiple magwells. They were made for a while but Alliance Armament never really developed it. The uppers were well built, but heavy. They do occasionally come up for sale. But if something as simple as the mag catch breaks your going to need to get someone to custom made that part for you.

Personally I think how Alliance Armament delt with the AMP series doomed the S.A.B.R.E. upper to fail. When they started making the S.A.B.R.E. they basically discontinued the AMP to the point that a guy with an AMP upper could not get the small parts. Between how heavy and bulky it was and how many custom parts, many didn't want to risk buying a rifle caliber upper that might not have support after the sale. I also think that they just didn't develop the S.A.B.R.E. enough. The Max-15 is what the S.A.B.R.E. should have been. The machinegun collection game is a long haul. This is a very small niche market. If you are a tinkerer, buy the AMP 10 and see what you can do with it.

Scott

UZI Talk Supporter

I own a amp10 and Sabre . Both are tanks. The amp is not as good a shooter as the max 10/31. But itís worth owning . Drums and coffins fit tighter. You have to wiggle a bit to get them in. They do take 36 round Suomi sticks that the 10/31 doesnít. Rof I believe is a bit slower and controllable. I enjoy mine. Runs 100%. A great product. Amp is all
    Steel and pretty big

Good to know about the sticky mags. Guess I'll keep waiting.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    I own a amp10 and Sabre . Both are tanks. The amp is not as good a shooter as the max 10/31. But it’s worth owning . Drums and coffins fit tighter. You have to wiggle a bit to get them in. They do take 36 round Suomi sticks that the 10/31 doesn’t. Rof I believe is a bit slower and controllable. I enjoy mine. Runs 100%. A great product. Amp is all
    Steel and pretty big
    My AMP10 runs great with drum mags, but I have to remove metal from the stick mags for them to fit.

UZI Talk Life Member

I had an AMP10 upper years ago and it ran like a champ. It ate absolutely everything. I really like that it could use unmodified Suomi 36 round stick mags in addition to coffins and drums. I sold it after I sold my M10/9.

The AMPS are not bad uppers. Burned through a lot of ammo with one.

The Suomi mag is a good point...they are double feed mags and can be loaded using the 36rnd stripper clips. Great for shoots. Lage uppers do not use these mags.

Two failures in my experience
    1. The recoil spring / ejector rod is not supported in the rear, so it bounces around and bends. Make a buffer/holder to keep it in place and no problems. You can just 3D print this piece.
    2. Cocking handle broke...WTF. Made a new one in 15 minutes, but WTF.

I was one of the original beta testers with the AMP11. Worked purty dang good, but as others have said, it’s a brick. The added weight made it deadly accurate and recoil almost nil, but I can never leave a good thing alone. I reduced the weight by half. It now looks highly customized and is a hell of a lot lighter. I did an aluminum mag block for it using MP5 mags which I was immediately strangled out of. It allowed the use of the 30, 40 and 100 round Beta C drums for Mp-5s. It was well funneled and utilized a thumb mag release more like an AK than an HK, but that fixed the major stumbling block that the gun had...ie, you HAD to have all the mags perfectly aligned or they wouldn’t go in. There was no wiggle room like Lage uppers had. Having both the Lage upper and an AA upper, the Lage upper was definitely better for competition. My MP5 mag block made it equal.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Battering ram NIB View Post
    I own a amp10 and Sabre . Both are tanks. The amp is not as good a shooter as the max 10/31. But it’s worth owning . Drums and coffins fit tighter. You have to wiggle a bit to get them in. They do take 36 round Suomi sticks that the 10/31 doesn’t. Rof I believe is a bit slower and controllable. I enjoy mine. Runs 100%. A great product. Amp is all
    Steel and pretty big
    Can you post a picture of the bolt please?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    I was one of the original beta testers with the AMP11. Worked purty dang good, but as others have said, it’s a brick. The added weight made it deadly accurate and recoil almost nil, but I can never leave a good thing alone. I reduced the weight by half. It now looks highly customized and is a hell of a lot lighter. I did an aluminum mag block for it using MP5 mags which I was immediately strangled out of. It allowed the use of the 30, 40 and 100 round Beta C drums for Mp-5s. It was well funneled and utilized a thumb mag release more like an AK than an HK, but that fixed the major stumbling block that the gun had...ie, you HAD to have all the mags perfectly aligned or they wouldn’t go in. There was no wiggle room like Lage uppers had. Having both the Lage upper and an AA upper, the Lage upper was definitely better for competition. My MP5 mag block made it equal.
    Pics please!

I bought the Amp 10 when they first came out. I think they send out a small hard rubber piece that I believe went in the rear of the lower. Would like to know if I'm correct. Thanks for any help.

Frank

My Lage 10/9 upper came within about 4 weeks of being added on his list - I think that was way ahead of schedule originally quoted.

I will run it this weekend - It looks great

+ Reply to Thread