UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Manual safety or no on EDC pistols

UZI Talk Life Member
    When I carry it's a wheel gun, I know it's always going to go POW when I pull the trigger, no other bullshit to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    Regarding the "Appendix Carry"; I would avoid it at all costs, yet a good many prefer it
    Yeah, a whole lot of things down there I would prefer not get shot at all, so why point a loaded gun at them? Plus, in my case, besides "clearing" the cover garment, there is a spare tire in the way and it don't clear as easily as a T shirt... Also while sitting I would think the muzzle digging in would be very uncomfortable.

Back in the day there was a series called McCloud, Dennis Weaver played a New Mexico lawman temporarily assigned to the NYPD to learn "big city police techniques". Of course the NYPD cops were often taught lessons in "old West" policing techniques by McCloud when he would grab a handy horse and go chase down the bad guy with his Colt SAA .45!

One episode, he is giving a shooting demonstration to the female police officers on the indoor range and as he reloads he states he only loads five and carries with an empty chamber. When asked why, he spins the Colt and jams it down his pants behind his belt buckle. "Peace of mind" is his reply. There ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by kanewtervalve View Post
    When I carry it's a wheel gun, I know it's always going to go POW when I pull the trigger, no other bullshit to worry about.
    Based on MAC's gauntlet testing, wheel guns are generally less reliable than semi-autos.

Mr. Miata
    UZI Talk Life Member
    That is one squared away deputy...got off the X and has obviously practiced with her gear.
    AWWWW NUTS!

REAL MEN DRIVE MIATAS

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
    Based on MAC's gauntlet testing, wheel guns are generally less reliable than semi-autos.
    I've been hearing arguments pro and con for 40 years, S&W 642 is still preferred.

UZI Talk Supporter
    1911 cocked and locked...

I in the past have carried most ways
    - PPK/s in the front pocket, no round in the chamber
    - PPK/s in the front pocket, chambered, double action, safety on
    - Sig P238 in a leather holster, no round chambered (never fully trusted that safety or my holster)
    - 1911 cocked and locked, OWB holster
    - Glock 43X, round chambered, OWB holster

Oddly, the Glock with a round chambered in a secure holster has been the most mentally comfortable setup to date. This is what I will probably carry for the next 10+ years. I really think it has more to do with the firearm itself and the carry setup than whether it has a safety or not. I never cared for having a pocket gun chambered, mainly because if I was sitting at a table that loaded gun was pointed at somebody across the table from me. Not cool. Much more comfortable carrying a round in the chamber (safety or not) in a secure holster on my hip. Appendix is not something I am willing to entertain.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I've been battling this in my mind. I'm looking at getting the Sig p365 manual safety upgrade kit....should i get it, or shouldn't I...... Manual Safety or No on my EDC Pistol.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zipakna View Post
    I've been battling this in my mind. I'm looking at getting the Sig p365 manual safety upgrade kit....should i get it, or shouldn't I...... Manual Safety or No on my EDC Pistol.
    Wait you can add the p365 safety to a regular p365? I've been waiting to get a MS version but they cost more and are harder to find.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Wait you can add the p365 safety to a regular p365? I've been waiting to get a MS version but they cost more and are harder to find.
    https://sigsauerparts.com/sig-sauer-...fety-parts-kit

howto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LS4uAwUJJk

you can even add the XL frame if you want.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I carry with a round in the chamber with safety off. I have a Sider Lock safety on my carry Glocks. The reason is I'm not a cop and there are some locations I cannot carry so I always engage the safety when I put it away and disable it when I carry. Any idiot knows how to pull a trigger. Many people these days aren't familiar with manual safeties.

The new Shield Plus looks like a nice carry option. Looks like it comes in versions with and without a safety.

UZI Talk Supporter
    If it’s properly holstered a round in the chamber with or without safety is fine with me either way.
    The important part as someone pointed out is practice drawing and dry firing or live fire.
    As long as you practice the way you carry it you will be way ahead of most people.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Look at the pistols, specifically the 1911s, carried by Manuel "Lone Wolf" Gonzaullas.

UZI Talk Life Member

When I carried for a living I carried a wheel gun most of the time. I also carried a Barretta 92 for a time. That was back in the early 80s. At that time you either carried a 1911 or a wheel gun. I was a much better shot with a wheel gun so it was a no brainer for me. A friend of mine was responding to a call with a 1911, cocked and locked in his Sam Brown, when he hit a pot hole with the car. The weapon discharged. Not sure if the damage from the bullet or the muzzle flash was worse but he was out for a couple of weeks. There was a lot of discussion about whether he had neglected to engage the safety or if the safety had been dislodged by the holster, or if the weapon magically discharged with the safety engaged. The bottom line is he was injured and it made me nervous carrying a 1911.

I have had more training on 1911s since then, and do carry a compact sometimes, but I generally prefer a striker fired pistol for concealed carry. It is not an issue with the manual safety, I just prefer the heavier trigger pull of a striker fired weapon vs. a 1911 in a stressful situation. As others have said it really comes down to a platform you are comfortable with.

A properly designed thumbreak holster puts a solid piece of leather between the hammer and the firing pin of a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    A properly designed thumbreak holster puts a solid piece of leather between the hammer and the firing pin of a 1911.
    Thatís how I carry my 1911ís. I figure between the manual safety, grip safety, trigger being covered, and a piece of leather physically blocking the hammer from hitting the firing pin......pretty safe way to carry.

365 sig, no safety
    Also carried 43 glock for a while

Main thing is to carry, if/when you need it, Youll be seconds behind regardless where you carry on your person or if its on/off safety, just carry

UZI Talk Supporter
    Well I agree that having to rack the slide does put you at a disadvantage, I think if you're looking for another layer of protection I'd rather have the safety on, then have to rack the slide because of the noise. That's where my head is today anyways. I'm losing conviction that it's bad to have one in the chamber.

I remember nutnfancy carries in a fanny pack.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Carried a wheelgun for 20 years.
    Now a glock 30s

Probably figure out what I think of external safeties from those two choices. always one in the pipe.

the 21 ft rule is real.

There is a thread on arfcom of a guy that took two 38 gold dots from a robber as soon as the robber heard the 1911 safety click.
    The other 5 guys in the room said they all heard it 1/2 a second before the perp started shooting. Everyone agreed it was the loudest sound in the room since tensions were high while being robbed at gun point.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-/5-984615/

And 53 pages with some pretty graphic recover photos.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/...285487/?page=1

I followed both threads back then and never questioned carrying a 44 special 5 shot of glock after that damn "click" almost cost him his life.
    I will say read it and see how bad he was shot and still able to clear the gun ( rack slide) and return fire.
    That was another pitfall of the 1911 he was shot in the hand and couldn't depress the grip safety.

That said I like 1911 guns have a few but would never put my life on the line with one with today's tech improved safe action safety or Old Skewl revolver hand cannon power.

+ Reply to Thread