UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are easy ways to catch brass?

UZI Talk Supporter

What are easy ways to catch brass?

All I have been saving is my oddball brass like 9mm makarov and 7.62x39. Is 9mm, .45, and 5.56 really worth saving if I don't reload? It's all once shot new retail stuff, but at the same time I want to see if there's a simple way to do it.

Yes, it's trade goods. There is a small local board for Ohio that I use to trade brass. Most of the time I build up a decent amount of "Oddball' stuff I don't use, then either swap with someone, or just give it away.

UZI Talk Life Member

If you are shooting from a static position, the handgun competitors I shoot with use the CED/Double Alpha brass chute. Very expensive for what it is, but sets up in half a minute:

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/ced-brass-chute

Edited: I think I misunderstood the question

save it and sell it.
    I recently bought 9mm for $30 per thousand and $60 for 556 plus shipping.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Stand about 5 to 15 ft from the bed of a chevy S10 hoopdeemobile and let it rain into the bed.

Just remember to get it back before your buddy goes home!

I had to switch to brass catchers or kids once the hoopdeemobile got sold

FFL/SOT
    UZI Talk Life Member
    Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand & Live @ The Blue Note
    Brass catchers suck they can jump back into the action when ejecting

Use a tarp pretty simple or I also use this for pick up http://www.brassmower.com/
    Be polite,be courteous,be professional,but have a plan to kill everybody in the room
    UZI 22LR FA conversion kits are in stock

http://www.subgun-ordnance.com
    subgun-ordnance@sbcglobal.net

Depends on your shooting location. I like to hang a weighted shower curtain to my right, diverts everything to the ground where it is easily gathered. I've seen a king-sized bedsheet put to good use just by laying it out flat where your casings are landing. I've never been a fan of the gun-mounted brass catchers, they're obnoxiously bulky and notoriously problematic.

The slickest setup I've seen by far was this gent who fabricobbled the following contraption out of 3/4"PVC: it was basically a square frame about ~16x16" or so on an adjustable-height base. He had attached fabric around the frame with the rearward side "sprung out" several inches with some flexible wire/spring/plastic/whatever so that it stayed "open" and the fabric just kind of funneled down towards the ground where he had a generic cardboard box collecting the empties. He just had to keep his ejection port in the vicinity of that frame and it worked beautifully.

+ Reply to Thread