UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New AA 386 owner woth a few observations and questions

New AA 386 owner woth a few observations and questions

Hello. Thanks to a very generoous severance package + cashed-out leave I was able to snap-up a pre-ban AA Galil AR. Took it shooting last weekend, and it ran like a top. However, as I was prepared for, it threw and semi-mangled the 223 brass like 30+'. Over-gassed? Check! One immediate observation was I was expecting it to be heavy as heck, and I think it handles really great (16" barrel probably helps a lot).

I got TennGalil himself to call me after I emailed him with a few questions (not thinking I'd get any response given how busy he is) and per his strong recommendation, picked up a KNS adjustable gas cylinder rated for AKMs and Galils. That's going in before I shoot it again. I also picked up an extra gas tube from Apex so TennGalil can weld a rail on it for a forward/scout red dot. I'm keeping it in as-is condition and will store the original gas tube. But my 53-YO old eyes and iron sights are not a great combination.

He mentioned other limited options for mounting optics, but the forward red dot seemed good since I've been shooting my M1 carbine like that for years. Any suggestions on how far forward, back, or middle should I mount the red dot? What are folks using? I know a low mount will be needed.

I've heard strong suggestions to shoot 5.56 out of my 386, which is definitely a 1 in 12 groove and marked 223, or to NEVER risk it. I mean strong warnings to never do it vs. "just do it" with no worries. Any more to add on this?

I've got 3 original black finish 35-rounds mags (excellent cond.), 2 from Numrich that are good to very good and parkerized, and just picked up two NIB (coated in cosmoline) Bulgarian 35-rounders locally. And 2 new 11-rounders. Those are great to shoot from a rest. But holy cow, they are stiff. I loaded with mag-lula a week before shooting. Bulgarians arew new, seem pretty nice, with noticably lighter springs and easier to load.

How do orlite mags compare? Anyone have a few NIB or in excellent condition they'd be willing to part with?

Lastly, given my love of vintage gear, if anyone can point me in the direction for an original OD cotton IDF, or SA R4 sling, I'd appreciate it. Thanks and Cheers!

Welcome to the Galil tribe. I also commented on your other forum post. The Galil is chambered for full milspec m193 55gr. Ammo and is rifled 1/12. Not rifled for the 62gr The “.223” marking was put to help with the US importation under the “sporting purposes” exemptions. Orlites are ok but kind of brittle, not wildly used like the AR orlites were. For the money, get plenty of steel 35 rd mags now while they are available and pretty cheap. One EO signature and they won’t be imported anymore. I collect IDF gear too. Got several different sets/versions of EPHOD to go with the Galil and other IDF firearms. There are several different slings for the Galil. The IMI black factory sling is rare and expensive, was not used by the IDF. The IDF used several different slings over the years. Cotton tan like the Uzi slings, just wider and same type metal hardware, those slings are actually kind of heavy compared to the nylon slings. They used to be really cheap surplus but have gotten stupidly priced and scarce lately. Some IDF troops in the early 80’s also looked to have used standard US type OD green general purpose utility straps along with the tan cotton issued slings which were also used on the FN MAG GP machineguns. Also the 2” wide “seatbelt” type nylon slings come in green and black along with plastic or metal hardware. Best bet, check eBay and internet. 24hr tactical has IDF slings and South African slings too but have been hit or miss. Robert rtg.com has a new black one for $20, metal hardware and paracord. It’s a good start. Most of the newer nylon slings have a small pouch for earplugs and have a fabric cover to prevent the smaller tapered metal clip hardware from scratching to gun. That one does not and has the full wide strap hardware instead of the smaller tapered down type. Numrich gun parts, and Robert rtg.com, have the new black nylon wide sling. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dubagel; 04-05-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Thanks dubagel. I thought that was my first post on these boards. Got it. On SigForums. That's been my go-to forum for a decade now, Yeah, I'm feeling plenty of affinity for my Galil. I've got family in Israel and three Israeli nieces who already served in the IDF. More closer to home, my son, who is about to graduate from my Alma Mater Virginia Tech, has joined the "Scouts" program and will be joining the IDF this fall. He was a college exchange student in Spring of 2020 in Tel Aviv before COVID sent him home after 2 months. I'm keeping my eyes open for some excellent quality steel IMI magazines. Ideally the black enamel finish, which seem harder to find than the parkerized versions. The Bulgarian ones are new but look and feel just a bit off. I've not shot them, however. I'll stick with IMI going forward. Thanks for your input on a sling. I see the "Zahal" type ones you mentioned, they are all over the Internet. I'll keep looking.
    Last edited by Batty67; 04-05-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Funny, I have distant family members in Israel too, they’re kids are also in the IDF, one is a Merkava instructor. Got to visit Israel about 4 years ago. Great trip. Lots of neat stuff to see. If you have any questions or want to talk IDF stuff just pm message or email me. Robertrtg has imi/idf issue “very good” surplus mags $20 each. His stuff has always been as advertised over the years.
    Last edited by dubagel; 04-05-2021 at 09:59 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    As to non metal mags if you can find them the Tapcos are an excellent choice. They are smooth and hold up well. I have had poor luck with Orlites. Yes ,they are brittle & the feed lips break on them & then with each ejected spent casing a fresh round would also go flying out of the rifle. I don't even bother with them anymore.

For gear as Dubagel said, Ebay is a pretty good source. I have scored an amazing amount of new & old IDF gear there.
    "Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Courage is not a lack of fear, but one's ability to overcome it.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Let us know how the KNS adjustable works, I've been on the fence to get one for my PSL, it throws brass 40 feet, that has to be killing the works inside.

Found a super clean 2" wide vintage SADF R4 sling after a detailed internet scour and it is heading my way. The person has one left and HAD a bunch of new 1.5" wide ones from South Africa (now out), and will get more of the new ones in a month or so. I also suggested they check out UZItalk...
    Last edited by Batty67; 04-12-2021 at 07:59 AM.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Grab a couple of OEM 50 round mags if you can find them.

I've seen plenty but at $100+ and given mine has no bipod, I'm taking a pass (so far).

They’re a neat novelty/complete the Galil collection stuff but other than that not really practical. The IDF generally didn’t really even issue them widely. In all my IDF books and photos I’ve collected, only seen them in demonstrations never anything operational. Still have the 4 I got in 1989 sealed in the factory IMI boxes somewhere.

IF I had an AKM with bipod Galil I'd be more motivated to find one. I might get one someday if (1) I can get one in great shape, and (2) it is for a good or better price. So I'm in no hurry whatsover.
    Last edited by Batty67; 04-12-2021 at 09:46 AM.

+ Reply to Thread