UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Duracoat Uzi Green, any one ever paint there uzi with it?

Duracoat Uzi Green, any one ever paint there uzi with it?

I'm going to paint my nodac uzi this weekend. I ordered both h&k black and uzi green. Has anyone ever painted there uzi uzi green? Thinking about doing a two tone on it, that is the receiver and top cover uzi green and the rest h&k black. Opinions please. Thanks dja9520

Sounds good can't wait to see pics

UZI Talk Life Member
    I painted me Sten with Uzi green.

Richard Hoffman
    Gunsmith/Owner

BWE Firearms & Parts
    Longwood, FL
    (407) 592-3975
    www.bwefirearms.com
    richard@bwefirearms.com

So what are the opinions on painting the whole gun green, vs leaving the barrel, barrel nut, topcover, stock, and lower black? Can't decide at the moment on which way to go, guess I'll make up my mind once the paint comes in. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dja9520 View Post
    So what are the opinions on painting the whole gun green, vs leaving the barrel, barrel nut, topcover, stock, and lower black? Can't decide at the moment on which way to go, guess I'll make up my mind once the paint comes in. lol
    That's kind of up to you - everyone's taste is different. If you want something that's historically accurate - either all black, or all green is appropriate, but if you want to do your Uzi in Pink with Hello Kitty stickers, that's up to you (but I wouldn't advise it ).

If you want something different, but still historically accurate, how about tiger stripes:

Whatever floats your boat...just have fun.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I posted a thread about mine, done with spray paint and clear coat:

Nodak ruined it after I sent it back for repair (trunion welds failed).

One day I'd like to do it again but it took forever to cut all the tape for the layers.
    "He who controls the spice controls the universe."

Rather than messing around with cutting tape, another option is to use an airbrush - you don't need a fancy one for doing this kind of work..just the type you find in a hobby store. If you don't have a compressor, just pick up one or two cans of "canned air" (usually where they sell the brushes). Total investment should be well under $50.00. If you practice for a little while on some scrap cardboard, you can get a feeling for how to adjust the paint & air to paint everything from a broad fan spray down to a super-fine line. The trick is to thin the paint out until it flows cleanly through the brush, without getting too watery....it really doesn't take long to get the technique down.

That's how I did my CAR-15 (over 35 years ago BTW):

Just another option...

UZI Talk Supporter
    ddmau, I love that paint job. Fantastic.

I have really cheap airbrush which runs on hobby compressed air cans which I've used to apply black GunKote to some UZI parts. Since then I've bought a compressor so I should get something to couple the airbrush to the compressor, and a better brush really.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Bolts View Post
    ddmau, I love that paint job. Fantastic.

I have really cheap airbrush which runs on hobby compressed air cans which I've used to apply black GunKote to some UZI parts. Since then I've bought a compressor so I should get something to couple the airbrush to the compressor, and a better brush really.
    Thanks for the compliment..I painted/cammoed a few other guns over the years, but sold them off. You really don't need a fancy airbrush to do this kind of stuff...I have a friend who paints his stuff with an old cake-decorating airbrush/compressor setup he bought from a supermarket bakery that went out of business. Works perfectly. The only thing you need to be careful of with the compressor is to make sure you adjust the air pressure - most airbrushes require relatively low air pressure, or the brush won't work properly. A water-trap is also a good idea if you live in a humid environment.
    Have fun...

UZI Talk Life Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dja9520 View Post
    I'm going to paint my nodac uzi this weekend. I ordered both h&k black and uzi green. Has anyone ever painted there uzi uzi green? Thinking about doing a two tone on it, that is the receiver and top cover uzi green and the rest h&k black. Opinions please. Thanks dja9520
    I'd love some details about how things went when you are done. FWIW- I have been trying to figure out a "permanent" paint scheme for my M11 setup. Currently, the lower is painted with a light grey Textured Rustoleum rattle can (I know, Rustoleum-cringe) but that stuff is hard as nails. I really like the two-tone look of the grey and black. My prototype upper is a very pleasant green

Eventually, I will decide on a duracoat type finish.

I saw an M16 that was black and yellow at the Creek last October. It was cool.

Someone should start a "What color is your gun" thread.
    Last edited by medphys; 02-03-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    Signature

I am going to paint my ZK-22 if it ever gets here

Nice paint jobs. I should have my Uzi in the next few days (ATF check cashed six months ago Jan 31) and it may well get a paint job.
    This is the paint job I did no my AR. I was hunting, rested it against the blind while I was loading my stuff in the truck, and it seemed the way it blended it deserved a picture. I used Duracoat, a cheap Harbor Freight air brush, and stencils from Bulldog Arms.

UZI Talk Supporter
    open bolts, hows the spray paint hold up on the moving parts like the stock and top cover where the plate slides across it?

I always thought my mini would look cool with a winter / urban camo paint job on it since i live in minne-snow-ta:
    Last edited by shadeone; 02-03-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Using the duracoat product was pretty easy, just mix and spray. But, I wonder how the paint will hold up. I'm thinking about doing a camo pattern on it in the near future, hell im half way there already.lol The final color is not as shiny as the photo below, which is nice.

Looks good

UZI Talk Supporter
    Duracoat is pretty durable. I have it on an AR and on a couple of pistols. I did wait the suggested 3 weeks before shooting it, though. I think that is where a lot of guys trip up and get duracoat that scratches off easily. I haven't had that problem with any of my firearms.

UZI Talk Supporter
    I have an IMI Model B that came with green furniture. Was this a typical option with Uzi or was this aftermarket?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shadeone View Post
    open bolts, hows the spray paint hold up on the moving parts like the stock and top cover where the plate slides across it?

I always thought my mini would look cool with a winter / urban camo paint job on it since i live in minne-snow-ta:
    I didn't have it very long before Nodak ruined it but it did have wear on the top cover exactly where you describe. The nub that snaps the stock together was in the white basically. It had a few scrapes here and there but held up real well otherwise, I think the clear coat helped.

I've used GunKote on some other parts and that stuff is awesome. It is as tough as it gets. But it does require baking and if it has a downside, it is thin so it doesn't cover up imperfections. Still you can use it on moving parts as a trade off.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by barnlight View Post
    I have an IMI Model B that came with green furniture. Was this a typical option with Uzi or was this aftermarket?
    The IMIs only came with black grips, so they would be aftermarket.

AFTER PAINT IS APPLYED, IS OVEN RECOMMENDED

+ Reply to Thread