UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AR-15 22LR Conversion kit

AR-15 22LR Conversion kit

Who makes the best 22LR conversion kit for the AR-15 ? Looking for a kit that is reliable and functions well. Please let me know your opinions and experiences. Would be using it in a Colt or Bushmaster.

UZI Talk Life Member

Get a current production CMMG stainless kit with dedicated upper. It has a detent ball in the bolt that eliminates bolt bounce.

I wasted 1,000's of rounds and countless hours working on other options and my advice is to go direct to CMMG.
    My name is actually Scott and I really do live in Texas.

I know, not very creative but it is factual.

By the way - Facebook is truly evil; resist the urge to participate.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I built a dedicated .22 upper using all cmmg parts. Never had a problem.

To get back on track to the original question of .22LR conversion assemblies for use in AR-15 .223/5.56 uppers, as it turns out, the issues one encounters can generally be tracked back to the AR-15 upper. Usually related to tolerances not being met or stackup of tolerances, or mis-assembly of the upper.

In any case, it's not like there are very many companies making .22LR conversion assemblies for use in AR-15 .223/5.56 uppers any more. Lots of companies sell dedicated .22LR uppers - conversion assemblies, not so much. Besides CMMG (or RTB re-branded CMMG), who do you have in mind?

From the information received, it looks like the best way to go is the dedicated 22 upper from CMMG. I looked at there site and see they have quite a selection of uppers and parts.
    Thanks guys for the info.

I have a USGI M261 conversion kit, for way over 20 years, and it performs perfectly in my AR that has a 5.56 chamber every time I use it, as long as I use HV .22

Last edited by Uncle Billy; 04-14-2021 at 12:44 PM.

2nd CMMG. I also recently used their warranty service for an issue that was NOT their fault and in my opinion not something they needed to take care of (I was looking for a part for a discontinued really early .22 conversion) and their solution was for me to send the old back and they replaced it with Stainless current version. Honestly, it was like dealing with Lage. Beyond that, it works. Unsolicited advise, get dedicated, it is worth the difference IMHO having had both.

UZI Talk Supporter
    thinking about doing this and wondered about the rate of fire. from online videos it seems really fast.
    Last edited by 3154tm; 04-14-2021 at 09:31 PM.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Around 1000 RPM...
    See my website for some data:
    http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=712

+ Reply to Thread