UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UZI extractors

UZI Talk Life Member

UZI extractors

Are there any difference between UZI extractors?

o Full-size, vs. mini-uzi, vs micro/pistol
    o open-bolt vs. closed bolt
    o SMG vs SA?

Or all they all the same?

UZI Talk Life Member
    I have some info here: http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=457

The semi extractor's are cut like shown on my website above. For full auto open or closed bolt, I think they are the same....for all Full / Mini and Micro.

Then there is a difference between .45 and 9mm extractors like shown on my site.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I noticed my semi auto Vector had a full auto one cut like factory semi. I had a .45 in a semi Vector I bought that I sold that had failures until I put a 9mm in it despite some people
    saying it should work fine with a .45.

Extractors are interchangeable among the 3 different sized UZIs, they are all machined the same way for the extractor. Full auto bolts with the feed lip on the bottom are what is known as "push feed", the round is pushed ahead of the bolt by the feed lip until it chambers and in the final bolt movement as it closes, the cartridge stops and the extractor snaps over the rim. The FA spec extractor has a full width claw on it.

The semi auto closed bolts have no feed lip and are what is known as "controlled feed". As the round is pushed out of the feed lips it slides up the breechface and under the extractor, and is basically attached to the bolt during feeding. To ease the rim under the extractor the bottom corner is cut away and the transition blended in to smooth the travel of the rim under the claw.

Most autoloading handguns and some rifles like the Mauser are controlled feed. A lot of autoloading rifles are push feed, as is the Desert Eagle handgun and a few others.

As mentioned above, some are caliber specific.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Awesome answers guys!

UZI Talk Life Member
    Just 10 minutes ago bought a Vector.

He says it has extractor issues.

Perfect thread to find......

Now to get one.

Dude said it had a 45 ex , gun is a 9mm.....vector sent something new but its hit & miss He says.

thoughts..?

Why can a FA extractor work in a semi-auto Uzi carbine. I am in the process of building a semi with a McKay semi bolt and reciever. Their instructions say the FA extractor will work from my FA parts kit. The semi McKay bolt does not have the full feed lip like the FA ones do so how can the FA extractor work then without modification ?

The cut off corner is to improve reliability, not a requirement to keep the round from jamming on every shot. It will still slide up under the extractor, but you may experience a jam if a round is out of alignment.

Should I file off the FA extractor to look like the semi. I can't seem to find any semi extractors for sale.

Iwi has them in stock for SA https://iwi.us/product/uzi-extractor/
    Just got one in the mail from them. They also sent me a cool sticker and zipper dingle-a-bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
    Should I file off the FA extractor to look like the semi. I can't seem to find any semi extractors for sale.
    Why fix what may not be broke? Try it as is and break out the Dremel if you have an issue.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Matt, Roverdaves book has all this info!
    Vector UZI SMG

UZI Talk Life Member
    Well I may need this book.
    2 uzi's
    Both clones

Time for the real deal & some education.

Soo.. somewhere should be an easy link to this ............I'm sure it will pop up soon.

Look up two rows.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Soo.. somewhere should be an easy link to this ............I'm sure it will pop up soon.
    Here's the link.
    Looking for the definitive reference book on UZI history and technical information? Check out my book The UZI Submachine Gun Examined. Details to order a copy are here.

I did the dremel route on my fa parts kit extractor. Think it messed with the temper or something, as the lip is almost wornoff. Little ragged end left. File would be a better more tedious option methinks. Obviously bestest best is get a dedicated sa one.

+ Reply to Thread