UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UZI Question?

UZI Question?

Hi,

I am new to the Forum & this is my 1st post. I am thinking about buying a UZI semi from my friend. He bought it many years ago and never fired it. He is selling some of his guns. My question is that the safety is very hard to slide. Why is that? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Del

Did you try lubing it? Old and dry may be the culprit, or rust.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Way freakin' too close to the city....especially now!
    Is it an IMI UZI or another? I've had 3 IMI semi's and all were excellent guns. Who made them makes a difference. Even if he bought it many years ago, the IMI UZI semi's have been sold in USA for like 45 to 50 years so it could have thousands or rounds through it unless he bought it new back then.

UZI Talk Life Member
    Safety on my Norinco was always a little difficult to move back and forth but not because anything was wrong with it, just the design.

UZI Talk Supporter
    Safeties, or complete Grip Assemblies (FA, but easily converted to SA), are readily available. If lube doesn't fix the problem, find the part you want, then deduct the price of it from your offer on the gun.

Mine was stiff too so I disassembled it and buffed the portion(s) that slide inside the grip assy with some 600 grit wet or dry paper. It's one of those parts that are just stamped out of sheet stock and bent into it's final shape. The shearing and forming can leave burrs that drag.
    The selector is another one often needing to be smoothed out. Remember too that anywhere components touch or slide against each other can be friction points.
    The right choice of lube is a consideration. Light machine oil might be good for your fishing reela and sewing machines but you want something that stays where it's applied. USGI LSA, Dri-Slide, good old anti-seize compound (use just a little, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get that stuff everywhere) all leave a film of lubricant that lasts after the carrier has dried off.
    One product to avoid is WD40. Its claim is that it 'displaces moisture'. It does that by absorbing any moisture into itself. If you don't then completely clean off the remaining WD40, it and the water it's absorbed stay in contact with the parts. That's like storing your part(s) wrapped in a damp rag.

+ Reply to Thread