UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem with New Uzi Build

Question Problem with New Uzi Build

I'm having a weird problem with my Uzi build. The build consists of a McKay receiver and bolt, and a old SMG parts kit I purchased back in the 90's. I could not find a SA sear so I modified my FA sear and it worked out just fine and shot without issue over a couple of hundred rounds. After I got the parts back from being parkerized I started to have a problem with the firing pin assembly not releasing when the trigger was pulled. It only happens when the rifle is on safe, I charge the bolt, put the safety on fire. When I pull the trigger I hear a click but it doesn't fire. If I cock and pull the trigger a few times it will eventually fire. It works fine is I cock while the safety is on fire but not the other way around.

At first I thought it was that the top cover was too tight as I was seeing a wear marks on the inside bottom of the receiver and top cover where the bolt would slide but I checked the gap and it is within range (0.005 - 0.015). I checked my modified sear with just the firing pin assembly and the engagement was fine and it moved forward. I also checked the mechanism in the grip stick thinking it was the grip safety but it engages just fine and I'm stumped as to what the issue may be. I ordered a SA sear from US Barrels and it should be here on Friday. I had the sear parkered, could it be that the heat treatment may have warped it or the hard finish is preventing it from releasing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Safety being on is moving the lower enough to keep the sear from lowering enough to release the striker....maybe

Additionally, when I move it into safe, cock and pull the trigger I get a click 80% of the time. However the trigger resets and I am able to keep pulling it until it finally fires without having to re-charge the bolt. I reprofiled my converted sear and it continues to happen. Also, occasionally I am able to cock the bolt without pushing the safety in. I am thinking the problem is related to the safety and not the sear. My new SA sear is due to arrive tomorrow so I will be able to rule the sear out if thatís not the issue. Cocking when in fire mode works fine.

I installed my new SA sear in and now it fires 100% of the time. However, now on occasion I can cock the bolt without the safety being disengaged. I decided to adjust the top cover so that it was tighter but that did not seem to fix the issue. Any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread