UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MAC 10 - Barrel Extension Stuck

MAC 10 - Barrel Extension Stuck

MAC is finally transferred to my dealer. Went yesterday to pick up all of the paraphernalia and cant seem to get the barrel extension off one of the uppers. I havenít gone too far with it, because Iím not sure if it just threads on or if there is more. My guess is some jack leg loctited it, but want to make sure Iím not missing anything before I dig too deep.

Try heat if you think it's thread locked. PB blaster does wonders getting stuck bolts and would probably do great with stuck muzzle devices.

UZI Talk Supporter
    They made 16" barrels too fyi

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    They made 16" barrels too fyi
    Time is your friend

Put a few drops every other day and rotate. Wait.

Thanks for the notes. Soaking in Penetrol. Heated it up a little for motivation. I have 6 months + to wait, so no rush. Weíll take it slow.

I hope you get a 5 month wait like I did! The wait always sucks!

Does your LGS allow you to shoot it while you are waiting?

UZI Talk Supporter
    Righty tighty-Lefty Loosey

UZI Talk Supporter
    You might post a picture of the extension, there are some that look like extensions that are just long barrels. In both cases, you can just take the barrel off and soak the whole thing if it's a metal one.

UZI Talk Supporter

I think there is a good chance that "extension" is supposed to be permanent.
    Somewhere many years ago at a mg shoot I believe I saw an extension that was permanently attached. I dont know if the owner did it himself, had it done, or bought it that way.
    It could be yours is similar.

Iíll get a pic in the AM. I have to believe itís not permanent as the pice for the front strap is on there with a slip ring to hold it in place.

Iíll get a pic in the AM and just be patient. Little heat, little PB, little time. It will either come off or the barrel will turn out, I reckon.

LGS will, but I’d have to join an indoor range in town. Hard to get motivated for that when the home range is out back. I can be patient.

UZI Talk Life Member
    I have multiple goofy carbine uppers & extended bbl shrouds in every flavor..some are borderline cans....lots of bizzare stuff from the 80's

Get some pics and this will be easy

A lot of crazy stuff was happening back when these were built....No 2 parts I own are the same...They were changing almost daily.

But they Are simple...Pics.............

UZI Talk Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PFCFMJ View Post
    LGS will, but I’d have to join an indoor range in town. Hard to get motivated for that when the home range is out back. I can be patient.
    The Dealer can bring it to your range and let you shoot it, but he has to stay with the gun, and take it with him when he leaves.
    If you sweeten the deal with steaks on the grill, it might help.

UZI Talk Life Member
    That one is unusual.

I have some similar unit ...yet different thats Part Suomi & part wtfever.

The slotted holes I've yet to own......Look down the bore to see whats really going on there.

I'm most curious and a buyer should you decide to ditch it............

UZI Talk Supporter
    That's a Snake Blisken special! If that picatinny rail were oriented up such that an optic could be put on it, I would understand why it would be permanently affixed. It looks like it's on the bottom though right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    That's a Snake Blisken special! If that picatinny rail were oriented up such that an optic could be put on it, I would understand why it would be permanently affixed. It looks like it's on the bottom though right?
    Yes. One on the bottom, one on the right side. There looks to be a split washer between the extension and the barrel. No evidence of a weld outside or inside.

This part has been abandoned for other uppers for God only knows how long. Iíve dealt with my fair share of stuck cans and MDs, but this dude here is on there. I may try the boiling water to see if itís Rocksett.

UZI Talk Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFCFMJ View Post
    Yes. One on the bottom, one on the right side. There looks to be a split washer between the extension and the barrel. No evidence of a weld outside or inside.

This part has been abandoned for other uppers for God only knows how long. I’ve dealt with my fair share of stuck cans and MDs, but this dude here is on there. I may try the boiling water to see if it’s Rocksett.
    Actually, I have had better luck putting the barrel in the freezer for Rocksett. Rocksett is for suppressor mounts, which see a fair amount of heat. All I did was put the barrel in my freezer. I chucked the barrel into my barrel vice jaws and just the weight of the wrench broke the suppressor mount loose.

Scott

+ Reply to Thread