UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SUOMI Drum 22 L.R 3D Print Conversion

this is not the pb for the moment i do not have a flat spring to push all ammo's before getting this kind of blocking problem.
    on your pictures i see a floating notched wheel pushed by springs for having all ammo's locked in the right position to goes up to the lips in a better way without blocking.

Name:  51.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  112.1 KB
    on this one with the front cover the ammo's are better positioned but i not know if it work i must finishing all parts before.
    Last edited by Bianchi; 05-30-2021 at 02:57 AM.

Name:  55.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  61.1 KB

That's welded all being in the axis i put the cover and loaded easily the drum but when i try to unload he's not working due to the weight of the bullets their head are pointing down and goes stuck and if i return the drum the head upside down i can unload it.

your shell follower or pusher looks a little thick, with the drum cover on how do you keep the rounds from moving in the drum?
    if the rounds can move to much they may lock up in the drum.

Greg

Name:  kci.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  29.2 KB
    hello i only will try to change the feed tower angle (position) the rest be ok, but i could reduce the drum body a bit and remade the mechanical part once again...
    Name:  kci2.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  46.1 KB
    Last edited by Bianchi; 06-01-2021 at 02:59 AM.

i looking the drum i get a bit of time to try to made my shit functioning!,
    the problem come from the axis base that support the follower he's not stable to stay in the axis,
    i do not have bearings i will try to do something with large washers...
    if i lock well the axis and put a towerfeed on the drum the ammo's goes up well.

i changed the drum position to be more inclinated, i do not know if it's really necessary
    because i searched on the first that i have printed he's more straight...
    .the follower axis had to be modified.
    .the real short towerfeed must be printed
    .new drum body

i try to find the right flat metal sheet to made the spring and rebuild the axis and parts. i changed the cover attach on the drum now it will be screwed, and you can see an abutment to stop the follower. the feedtower take his place freely and fermely.
    Attached Images      

i'm alway's searching the right spring into anything, i did not find a metal sheet that be elastic...
    Name:  33.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  71.7 KB
    .kitchen timer
    .mountain bike gears selecter
    and i will buy an old clock...

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi View Post
    i'm alway's searching the right spring into anything, i did not find a metal sheet that be elastic...
    Attachment 36629
    .kitchen timer
    .mountain bike gears selecter
    and i will buy an old clock...
    Springs and the odd screw are always the same - try everything in the house to find one that fits just right!

This is a really cool project Bianchi, impressive work! Once you know the shape of spring that works best, you could probably print a mandrel to wind your own spring from hard steel wire.

thank you Dropsith

i visited a jeweler this morning to see if the guy could help me with parts, he tell me than a flat spring breaks quickly, the better thing be the "piano corde" I already have this wire steel in differents sizes.

if you look the last picture there one spiral spring he could be modified to be put in the drum. i have two of them they come from a bike gear shifter, i have to see after reducing one of them if he can trains the follower properly.

they are strong and easy to find and if all goes well with this drum we could imagine a "snail ball's" drum. (35+35-22= 48 rounds)
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bianchi; 06-24-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi View Post

i visited a jeweler this morning to see if the guy could help me with parts, he tell me than a flat spring breaks quickly

yeah, I don't buy that at all.......I have some Soviet PPSH and Finn SUOMI drums that use flat steel springs. those drums are older then me, and I'm 65, and those springs are still good, like it was just installed at the arsenal

Last edited by Bianchi; 06-24-2021 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Billy View Post
    yeah, I don't buy that at all.......I have some Soviet PPSH and Finn SUOMI drums that use flat steel springs. those drums are older then me, and I'm 65, and those springs are still good, like it was just installed at the arsenal

Hi Uncle Billy

I also search a metal belt that are used for straping wood crates this steel be good to do flat springs! the guy's give me his opinion about flat spring that are use into little clocks that he sell they are more fine he did not have large clock where you could find something similar to this vids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukdu2AdnS6k&t

i think you will have better luck with a flat spring. this spring will run a 50rd drum just fine.
    Attached Images  

Hello GWP and thank you for the picture you helped me a lot with it!
    i found it onto ALIXPRSS

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/40011...ad96e682be6-13

Hi! i ordered two springs on the chinese site, i do not know what i will receive i choosed the one that could do the job but they have to be modified! i discovered a lot of steel belts and i will also try to do my own flat spring with this.

Name:  steelbelt.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  147.6 KB

they are longer than what you see (1.20m)

the Chinese spring would be the way to go, rather then strapping band, those would be heat treated and tempered for a specific application ........strapping bands are just flat pieces of steel that are just made to band things together and not for anything else...........it probably will work, but I wouldn't hold out hope they will last for a long time.
    Last edited by Uncle Billy; 07-15-2021 at 04:08 PM.

Hi Uncle Billy thank for the reply!
    you speak fine about the "strapping band" that i named "steel belt".
    sorry for all the words mistake that i do in english because i only use english only here on this forum or when i read something that interest me.

the straping band is like you describe it, but it could work because it's not a large spring that i want and the strapping band have a good torsion be elastic.

i do a quick test

Name:  test.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  114.3 KB

i have to made the right tool. the real problem is the straping band thickness. the Chinese parts will be finer.
    Last edited by Bianchi; 07-16-2021 at 12:15 PM.

I scrap a lot of computers and misc. stuff, and I get small flat spring coils from Dell LCD monitor stands that have a height adjustment. You have to watch unscrewing them because they are pretty strong and go flying if you don't watch what you are doing. If you want I can try to get some pictures of them, as I have a lot of them.

thank's for the tips! if i see this one...I only buyed a single computers, i pick up them in the bin or to repair.

i made a rudimentary tool
    Name:  IMG_20210719_174950.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  175.7 KB
    i did a mistake with the screw she's not at the right size!

lost some space with this size of screw.
    Name:  IMG_20210719_174902.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  107.5 KB
    i made it quicly to test the inside of the tool is not clean that directly affect the spring form.

i will use it to modify the chinese springs at the right size.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread