UZI Talk Forums
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Getting Set Up for a Winter Project

  1. #21
    UZI Talk Life Member
    rybread's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    U.S. F'N A
    Posts
    3,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    This sounds interesting. I just looked at their website, and they have lots of interesting varieties. The Captain Schaefer and the pepperbox are standouts!
    http://piettausa.com/1851-Navy_c_12.html?viewall=1

    By the way, if you convert a black powder weapon to one that fires cartridges, does it become a regulated firearm?
    These are awesome. You’re really planning ahead Snipe.. it’s barely spring! I also like the “pepper box” model. Would be great for taking down carpenter bees with shot shells.
    Live BRAVE, Live FREE!

    “To abandon FACTS is to abandon FREEDOM”

    It’s easy to fool someone, but almost impossible to convince them they’ve been fooled.

    I WON- January 8th 2021.

  2. #22
    UZI Talk Supporter
    sniperdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,070
    Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    These are awesome. You’re really planning ahead Snipe.. it’s barely spring! I also like the “pepper box” model. Would be great for taking down carpenter bees with shot shells.
    The Pepperbox model uses a different Cylinder, you'd have to either convert the BP Cylinder, or use the Conversion Cylinder and add a spacer in front. Damn it, now you got me thinking about making a spacer for it!��

  3. #23
    UZI Talk Supporter
    sniperdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,070
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    It is my understanding that under Federal law any firearm designed or built or an exact replica are not regulated under the Gun Control Act of '68. If you change the design, adding a modern style part, then that firearm would be regulated under the GCA '68.

    Scott
    Under Federal Law, Muzzle Loading guns, including Cap and Ball Revolvers, are not considered to be "Firearms". This includes some Breach Loading guns that use paper cartridges, as well as a few other oddball guns.
    Also, cartridge firing guns made before 1898 are exempt, but not replicas thereof. There are more categories, but the actual number of guns therein are small.
    Last edited by sniperdoc; 06-03-2021 at 09:58 PM.

  4. #24
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,248
    From their website https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...itions-antique :

    "Firearms Verification
    National Firearms Act Definitions
    Antique Firearm
    26 U.S.C. § 5845(G)

    For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Antique Firearms” means any firearm not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

    But I know a convicted felon who got into big trouble because he used a modern muzzle loader to hunt with. His lawyer explained to him that it needs to be an original or an exact replica. Just being a muzzle loaded firearm was not the same. YMMV.

    Scott
    Last edited by A&S Conversions; 06-04-2021 at 12:01 AM. Reason: To add bold

  5. #25
    UZI Talk Supporter
    sniperdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    5,070
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S Conversions View Post
    From their website https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...itions-antique :

    "Firearms Verification
    National Firearms Act Definitions
    Antique Firearm
    26 U.S.C. § 5845(G)

    For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Antique Firearms” means any firearm not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."

    But I know a convicted felon who got into big trouble because he used a modern muzzle loader to hunt with. His lawyer explained to him that it needs to be an original or an exact replica. Just being a muzzle loaded firearm was not the same. YMMV.

    Scott
    Thanks for the clarification, Scott. I was totally unaware of the "has to be a replica of" part on BP guns! I know a guy who, when he was 18 or 19, got in trouble and pleased guilty to a felony in exchange for a reduced sentence, and hunts with a Muzzle Loading Rifle. He has long since straightened his life out, goes to church, raising a family, works his ass off, but has that crap hanging over his head.

  6. #26
    UZI Talk Life Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,248
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperdoc View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, Scott. I was totally unaware of the "has to be a replica of" part on BP guns! I know a guy who, when he was 18 or 19, got in trouble and pleased guilty to a felony in exchange for a reduced sentence, and hunts with a Muzzle Loading Rifle. He has long since straightened his life out, goes to church, raising a family, works his ass off, but has that crap hanging over his head.
    That is the same situation of the guy I knew. Did something stupid when he was young. Was 57 when he was charged with being a felon with a firearm. He loved to hunt. He thought he was okay with a muzzle loader. But because it was modern, not a replica, he was charged. He spent thousands on lawyers and a couple of months in county, but he didn't have to go back to prison. Little details can be the difference between no problem and a world of hurt. He had hunted for years. All it took was one game warden to check that knew the difference between modern and exact replica.

    Scott

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter.