South African R series of weapons information thread (lots of pictures)

lcastillo

Lou,

They were purchased on my behalf by a relative from Nobelteq.

Didn't ask after R4/6 tubes, but the safe assumption is 'no'. I can see what I can dig up, but it's unlikely.

Denel did a <500 run of R5 tubes to last them until 2020, when a new rifle will be selected. Probably.
AspektZA, I am curious to know, are you saying that since you have a family member that works at Noblteq is the only reason you where able to secure the R5 gas tube? Does Nobleteq not sell the R5 gas tubes to the private or general public? In your opinion why do you think Denel only made less than 500 R5 gastubes since it seems that just within SAPS there would be need for more than just 500 R5 gastubes? I could not image the amount the SADF would require to repair at least 1/4 of their R5's in service? I am sure there are a lot of private LM5 owners like you that would like to upgrade their LM5 gastubes to the more correct R5 gastube. Yes please find out if maybe Denel made a run of flared R6 gastubes. Cheers Lou

lcastillo

WCC congrats on your bayonet! I am really jealous. Can you tell us the story on how you came to own such a great piece of SA history? Is the 07 stamp on the catch a serial number (like #7 bayonet made)? It does not show in your picture, but does your bayonet have a heat shield (or shroud) where the cuts for the R4 flash hider sit when the bayonet is in place over the barrel. Thank you for sharing your bayonet with us.

AspektZA

AspektZA, I am curious to know, are you saying that since you have a family member that works at Noblteq is the only reason you where able to secure the R5 gas tube? Does Nobleteq not sell the R5 gas tubes to the private or general public? In your opinion why do you think Denel only made less than 500 R5 gastubes since it seems that just within SAPS there would be need for more than just 500 R5 gastubes? I could not image the amount the SADF would require to repair at least 1/4 of their R5's in service? I am sure there are a lot of private LM5 owners like you that would like to upgrade their LM5 gastubes to the more correct R5 gastube. Yes please find out if maybe Denel made a run of flared R6 gastubes. Cheers Lou

No they were purchased by a private individual from nobelteq.

This is just the information I heard from the main LM smith at nobelteq.

What I was told was that they planned to do 1000 but it ended being less than that. I doubt that a gas tube is something that needs to be replaced often in normal service.

I can see about getting more into the US if there's enough interest.

WCC

WCC congrats on your bayonet! I am really jealous. Can you tell us the story on how you came to own such a great piece of SA history? Is the 07 stamp on the catch a serial number (like #7 bayonet made)? It does not show in your picture, but does your bayonet have a heat shield (or shroud) where the cuts for the R4 flash hider sit when the bayonet is in place over the barrel. Thank you for sharing your bayonet with us.

The bayonet has a metal tube at the front which acts as a stop for the R4/5 flash hider. Yea, it has a heat shield.
Unfortunately I don't know what the numer indicates - it is stamped on the clip, so perhaps plausible that it is specific to the clip being added.

Ady

This book has been published about firearms developed and made in South Africa. It is very comprehensive. I managed to pick up a copy and can highly recommend it if you can get yourself one. There is alot of information on the CR-21 as well as the R4, R5, R6 and LM rifles with some comparisons to the Galil.

https://youtu.be/C-hxiHJvjJs

AspektZA

Some teasers from Jeff re: my US LM5 -

S2UYwJm.jpg

qwGff2e.jpg

Barrel is 16" OAL with pinned brake. Was done as a compromise between aesthetics/muzzle velocity.

http://imgur.com/a/xk80i

Last edited:

Ady

A little off topic. You guys may be interested to know that there are alot of ex IMI Gallil rifles on their way to SA soon. A local gun shop told me that they ordered 75.

Oubaard

Hi all,
I am doing a galil SAR to R5/LM5 conversion but cant find any pictures of vektor or denel trademarks.
Can someone with a R5/LM5 show me the trades and where they are?
It will be greatly appreciated
Thanks
S.

Last edited:

gekishibu86

I've gone through all the pages of the excellent thread but I haven't seen discussions regarding the dust covers. I might have missed it since most of the earlier posted pics don't exist anymore. Anyway, here is my contribution on dust covers. Besides the thicker sheet metal used on R series, these are some of the minor differences I noticed between the two.
IMG_1833.jpg

R series on the left, Galil on the right. The R series cover have a shallower bump compared to the much pointy Galil cover.
IMG_1835.jpg

Galil on top. This section is more pronounced on the R series
IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

Ejection port stamping is more pronounced on the Galil
IMG_1840.jpg

Front bump is thicker and longer on the R series

Last edited:

gekishibu86

Triggers are different too.
IMG_1858.jpg

Galil on left.
IMG_1859.jpg

Front side Galil on left and ends are rounded. R series squared and longer
IMG_1861.jpg

Back side Galil on left. Machining differences overall. The R series is a lot robust.
IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

Galil on top. Very minor differences. Notch to the right of the thumb lever and different stamping on the end. The rest is identical.
I received another selector from SA and it was identical to the Galil. I believe this was the really early ones when LIW is not allowed on modifications on Galil original design.

Last edited:

lcastillo

Those are some great observations. I never noticed those before. Good job and great work on pictures. I know u put hard work into the pictures gekishibu86

gekishibu86

I also noticed two distinct variations on the R series front sight. As we all know, R series front sight lacks the "Z" spring. Well, there's one version that has the provision for it. Looks like this was a transitional version and was decided later on it was unnecessary.
IMG_1920.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

The "Z" spring equipped SA sight have squared corners and rounded on the non equipped variant. I also found that the easiest way to install the front post if you are upgrading to the thin R series is screwing it from the bottom of the front sight assembly. Screwing it from the top is almost impossible to do due to how the legs of the post is spread out. Save yourself the trouble, install from the bottom.

I acquired this R4 gas block(thanks to WILDCARD!)which I believe again as a very early version not like on Lou's R4 which I think is a later version. It's almost identical to the Galil with very minor differences. Most significant is the width or length of the sling loop depending on how you look at it. The R4 is a tad short compared to the Galil.
IMG_1927.jpg

Galil is on the left with front sight assembly installed.
IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

gekishibu86

Did the R4 really had a left hand version as this picture depicts by Ady or a screw up in printing?
IMG_1962.png

mullicrk

From the look of the stock knuckle, safety, mag release and axis pins I think they screwed up and did a mirror image.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter