South African R series of weapons information thread (lots of pictures)

gekishibu86

Differences on recoil rod assembly.
IMG-2112.jpg

Galil on the left has a wider shoulder and machine is different shape. Ends are also machined differently.
IMG-2113.jpg

Galil assembly on bottom is significantly longer.
IMG-2114.jpg

Galil spring and back part of the rod is longer. Galil spring retainer can be installed on both ends, R series only on one end. Galil telescoping rod end is chamfered, R series is squared. Both have the same length.

R-Series pistol grip

I’ve looked at all the grip info on this thread. And looked over many pics elsewhere. I find it very difficult to tell what’s South African when it comes to the grips. “A dull finish” and “flat sides” as opposed to rounded sides are found (to some degree) on 75% of the grips I have. Is there any sure fire way to tell? I know if it’s shiny it’s Not SA. Aside from that I’m very unsure.

gekishibu86

I’ve looked at all the grip info on this thread. And looked over many pics elsewhere. I find it very difficult to tell what’s South African when it comes to the grips. “A dull finish” and “flat sides” as opposed to rounded sides are found (to some degree) on 75% of the grips I have. Is there any sure fire way to tell? I know if it’s shiny it’s Not SA. Aside from that I’m very unsure.

You probably haven’t gone through all the 75 pages, it’s actually been discussed already. Any here’s pics on this thread that can help you distinguish the differences.
a>

a>

a>

a>

75 pages. I have looked over every page more than once. And I’ve seen all the pics. Even the pics that are now missing. And I have many grips in my collection. Still doesn’t seem cut and dried to me. Most people say “not shiny in finish” and and “flat sided” in profile. I have varying degrees of these features on grips in my collection. I’ll have to post pics of some of mine. It doesn’t help that some vendors sand blasted grips to alter the finish.

Cognard

is there a chance you can send me a pic of your rifle as well as the place where the serial is located ?? i am writing a book about AK, sigs , Galils and Vektors ! thank you so much !

Rick

tsmgguy

My Action Arms Galil (Mod. 386, barrel date 4-87) has no bayonet lug and an original wooden handguard without bipod cutout. It looks very R-4. Interestingly, the barrel has the same stamped circle P marking found on the barrel of my Group Industries/Vector FA Uzi. Vector used South African Uzi parts kits demilled in Switzerland in the manufacture of their guns. I understand that the Uzi barrel marking shows manufacture by Littleton Engineering in Pretoria, South Africa. Was there some exchange of Galil parts and assemblies between South Africa and Israel during the time both guns were made, when both economies were under crippling international sanctions?

Last edited:

dubagel

The original batch of SA R4’s were actually made in Israel and the IDF Galil ARM configuration/pattern. The change in handguards, sights, buttstock did not occur till after the initial ones started being produced in SA.

hagar

Old thread, but here is a picture of me taken in 1977 in Rhodesia. Smuggled my R1 in and back. My hair was definitely not Sadf regulation, but I was working night shift in the computer center before I left on vacation, and it always grew like a weed :)

Attachments

• IMG_0004~2.JPG
    IMG_0004~2.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 6

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter