380 upper for m11/9?

Kkontx

Is there a 380 auto upper available for the m11/9? I saw a thread where you can possible swap the barrel but it may run slow with the 9mm bolt?

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Just buy an m11 380 barrel and put it on your m11/9 upper. That’s it.

Kkontx

Was looking for a high rate of fire with the 380. I only have Lage Upper receivers for my M11/9 so they all have a heavier bolt.

Guessing even if I had an upper with a stock bolt, just swapping the barrel would still be a slower rate of fire being the m11/9 bolt would be heavier than the m11a1 bolt?

3154tm

UZI Talk Supporter
i've done exactly what Hey said and it's now my favorite upper. but it is a much slower rate of fire. on the other hand, it suppresses very nicely.

Doobis

The distance the bolt travels until it hits the rear of the receiver is also a factor. I used a factory spring and cut coils until it would reliably cycle. The stock 9mm recoil spring was too strong to start with. My m11/9 bolt doesn't bottom out so its very mild recoil. It's probably around the 900ish rpm.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Interesting. only lage upper that would make sense is the SK as you'd use an OEM bolt. Perhaps you could cut the back off of an 11/9 bolt off to reduce mass if I wanted it fast.

Oh, duh. You get an M11 bolt with the recoil spring and rod of an M11/9

Slowmo

Interesting. only lage upper that would make sense is the SK as you'd use an OEM bolt. Perhaps you could cut the back off of an 11/9 bolt off to reduce mass if I wanted it fast.

Oh, duh. You get an M11 bolt with the recoil spring and rod of an M11/9
That’s a good idea. Use an actual M11 bolt and mess with the spring until you get it to cycle. The Lage VBS pieces might work too.

It would also be cool in something like a Grey Ghost upper from Practical solutions.

bruh44

I made this video years ago:
This is a 380 barrel on a M11/9. I found it works best with hotter ammo and a suppressor.
At the time I did this, my work just stopped using 380 as a secondary weapon and had thousands of rounds to use. I’ve since used it all up so I don’t shoot it much anymore.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Bruh44's ROF is 1003 RPM.

SWD did offer a 380 upper at one time. I would be fairly easy to make a dedicated 380 upper playing with bolt and spring mods.

48834503741_e7bf81dd0d_b.jpg

Last edited:

Kkontx

I made this video years ago:
This is a 380 barrel on a M11/9. I found it works best with hotter ammo and a suppressor.
At the time I did this, my work just stopped using 380 as a secondary weapon and had thousands of rounds to use. I’ve since used it all up so I don’t shoot it much anymore.
This was with the stock bolt and just a barrel swap?

bruh44

Yes, factory bolt. The 380 is very controllable because the bolt doesn’t hit the back like it does with 9mm. That’s why I was shooting it one handed in the video. It makes it like they work in the movies. I didn’t time it, but it’s still a pretty fast cyclic rate.

If you do it, you’ll need barrel wrenches. If you plan to suppress it, the 380 barrels have a different thread pattern than the 9mm barrels.

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
I don't know of the OP reloads or not, but it's fairly easy to download 9mm to 380 performance. I competed in a few subgun matches back in the day, but I did exactly that to "tame" the stock M11/9's ROF for a competitive advantage.

Kkontx

Thanks strobro!

Yes I do reload quite a bit. Probably the opposite of most people, was looking to convert to 380 for a high ROF for this for to be a range toy, not for any comp use.

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks strobro!

Yes I do reload quite a bit. Probably the opposite of most people, was looking to convert to 380 for a high ROF for this for to be a range toy, not for any comp use.

Got it. I honestly think you'll have a difficult time getting a higher ROF with 380 over any 9mm configuration in the M11/9. You're throwing a weaker ctg into a platform with a heavier bolt and longer bolt throw. If you want "crazy ROFs" in your M11/9 to play with, stick with 9mm and throw a Mack Jack in the back of the receiver. I think you'd also save money over adding a new caliber and new hardware.

You could always pick up an M11-380 :). IIRC, my M11-380 in stock trim runs 1500rpm without suppressor and 1800rpm with suppressor.

bruh44

Yeah, I agree. The Mack jack isn’t expensive. 380 ammo is. As I said, I only did it because I had free ammo. I went through about 2500 rounds in a year and now I haven’t used it in probably five years.

Also, for some reason when it was suppressed, it smoked me out. I had to wear protective glasses that sealed around my eyes. Much worse than the standard M11/9 with 9mm. I have one of those Bowers suppressor grips, so I mostly shot it John Wayne style when it was suppressed.

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter