.45 conversions - how are they?

sonvolt

I've not yet taken ownership of the Uzi I'm purchasing, but am very interested in also getting a .45 ACP conversion for the gun.

How are the .45 conversions? Are they as reliable as the 9mm? Are there any peculiarities or issues with these conversions - any problems that are frequently experienced?

The gun I'm getting is a Fleming converted Model B.

Thanks,
DeWayne

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
The factory IMI setup is only 16 rounds so many people including myself are using the Grease Gun mag conversions.

Several different people have done the conversions over the years.
Check out the link below for some info on the various ones.

http://www.uzitalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14940

I've got the one by Roger Loock.
http://www.revelationarms.com/accessories.html

He did mine for me real cheap many years ago.
Mine uses UNModified GG mags and I did NOT have to modify ANYTHING on my host gun which is also a Fleming conversion.

Bob T

UZI Talk Life Member
While I have the .45 FA conversion I do not shoot it much. I feel that .45 round beats the gun up too much.

The Uzi feels completely different shooting the .45. The recoil is heavier and it is not as smooth as with the 9 mm.

On the flip side I do like shooting it with a .22 kit! Probably put more .22 through it than 9 mm.

buckaroo1236

I HAVE A IMI CONVERSION KIT. ALSO A GG LOWER ASSY. BY CHRIS HUMPHREYS. THE GUN RUNS FLAWLESS.

SSBiggun

I had the .45 converision when I got my Vector and while using it my trunnion welds broke and the trunnion and barrel came out the front of the receiver. After the weapon was repaired I ended up selling the converision as I blamed the extra stress it puts on the weapon. With my buffer installed the .45 ran at MAC 10 rpm and all 16 cases were in the air at the same time. BRRRRRRRAAAAAAPPP. tinkle tinkle tinkle. In retrospect I wish I had kept it.

SSBiggun

pmf

I have a GG converted lower from Chris Humphries and the set up runs 100%. The GG lower is pretty much a necessity for shooting 45. A 16 round mag for a machine gun is not right. It seems that "plentiful" GG mags are getting scarce, so stock up. I'm seeing $25-$30 a mag these days when not so long ago they were $10-$12 (God, what next, $25 sten mags?).

If I were to choose one conversion, it would the the 22. It's not as reliable as the 45, but cheap and tons of fun to shoot. If you've already got a 22 conversion, then get the 45 conversion. I don't shoot mine much, but it's worth having around.

m4fun

UZI Talk Life Member
I love my GG conversions - really changes things on a FS - I do like it better than 9mm. I have both Chris' and Roger's lowers - both work, both great quality - Why? To keep my FS setup in .45 and my mini setup in .40 with barrelXchanges' bolt and barrel. That said I like the mini better in 9mm with heavy bolt.

johnnywitt

UZI Talk Life Member
m4fun said:
I love my GG conversions - really changes things on a FS - I do like it better than 9mm. I have both Chris' and Roger's lowers - both work, both great quality - Why? To keep my FS setup in .45 and my mini setup in .40 with barrelXchanges' bolt and barrel. That said I like the mini better in 9mm with heavy bolt.

What kind of Mini do you have?
And so I don't hijack this thread- I'm hesitant to shoot .45 out of my FS because of the problems with stress and breaking welds.:confused Rex at Vector can tell you all about this. I guess that's a good excuse to get a TSMG some day, huh.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter