AK Bolt carriers

GoOsE

DrGolani said:
I just want to get this straight before I go and buy an AK bolt carrier.
Will the AK-47 bolt carrier (7.62) work with a Golani (5.56)?
Tenngalil's post say no...if I'm reading that right?

i think he was saying that ak74 wont work but ak47 will

Chuckster99

AK47 Bolt Carriers

It looks to me like Tenngalil stated that the AK47 bolt carrier would work, but the AK74 bolt carrier would not.

Chuck

GoOsE

Chuckster99 said:
It looks to me like Tenngalil stated that the AK47 bolt carrier would work, but the AK74 bolt carrier would not.

Chuck

isn't that what i just said?

GoOsE

Chuckster99 said:
I think you were posting while I was writing........ or I'm just an echo........, GoOSE.

Chuck

yeah I think i was posting while you were typing... Chuck

Tenngalil

UZI Talk Life Member
AK in 7.62 has the same size bolt hole.
The Ak-74 has a smaller dia. bolt hole so it won't work for the 5.56 galil bolt.
There are a few that might need clearing at the rail notches to fit-Chinese and i think Egyptian.

GoOsE

L

loner42

ALL 7.62 X39 carriers WILL WORK with the exception of a Russian Vepr 7.62 x 39.

ALL 5.45 x 39 carriers WILL NOT work.........................

Also, Saiga 223 and Saiga 308 carriers WILL NOT WORK

I have personally measured 19 AK variations taking dimensions of Bolt Face Diameter, Bolt Shank Diameter, Bolt Carrier Tunnel Diameter, Bolt Carrier Overall Length, and Gas Piston length, and know this to be fact.
I'd like to make a chart with these dimensions but every time i attempt it they come out all misaligned. If anyone would like to help with a professional looking chart, i'd be down with that.........................PM me if interested

DrGolani

Well, I bought one (AMD AK47 bolt carrier), right after I placed my order I saw a M70 Stainless Steel one for the same price, same place.

When I get it I'll report back.

utahhandyman

yeah the golani has those lugs on the piston that keep it centered at the end of the stroke. I just found that out today. I just need to figure out how to get the piton out of my ak bolt carrier, cant see any pin marks

DrGolani

So I got that AMD65 AK47 bolt carrier I mentioned earlier.

Drilling out the pin was easy enough. But the bolt didn't slide that easily in it's slot, and actually didn't quite make it to the end of it's motion. I pulled out the calipers and the slot was just a tad thinner. A couple swipes with the dremel and voula she works.

Then I noticed it kind of hung up on the hammer as you slid the bolt forward in the receiver. The ramp on the underside wasn't quite as low as the original part. On the original carrier, it comes to quite a sharp edge, the AMB carrier falls a bit short and has about a 1/2 mm flat-end at the end of the ramp. Again, a couple swipes with a file and voula, the bolt slides just fine. The new carrier also seems a bit tighter in the receiver. Not 'tight' like it doesn't work, but just not as loose as the original carrier in the receiver (Golani reciever).

Haven't sent any lead downrange yet, but on the bench it seems good-to-go. I'll probably burn up some lead this weekend and see if it works as well as the original, and of course, will report back.

Jim C

Mine are stainless steel. Did not realize it until I bead blasted two and dropped them in the bluing tank. Came out same as when I put them in! Stainless for SURE. At least mine are.

DrGolani

The AMB 65 one I just installed is stainless and painted (?) black, at least as far as I can tell. I'm not a Metallurgist, I'm a Biochemist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter