Anyone else have a can that is mounted by a barrel nut mount? How is your accuracy?

Dirk Hawthorne

I have a Bowers CAC9 with the barrel nut mount, and I know a guy who has a can from a different manufacturer with a similar mount.

I get mixed results with mine, the accuracy varies a lot from OK to horrible.

The other guy just gets horrible accuracy.

I kind of suspect that the alignment of the barrel in the trunnion with the threads on the barrel nut is not close enough to produce good accuracy. Or maybe it's vibrating too much?

I actually sent my can back to Bowers and let him mess with it, he changed the mount for a brand new one and declared it good with his gun. He sent me pics of his targets. Nice guy, BTW.

The CAC9 is a good can, it worked great on my 9mm MAC10.

What have your results been with barrel lug mounts?

It's frustrating because I don't see any sign of bullet strikes in the can and it SHOULD work fine.

I figure the thing to do is to either get one of my barrels threaded or go to a tri-lug.

arch stanton

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand Live @ The Blue Note
Could be barrel harmonics but I doubt that from a shorty barrel so that leaves ammo and mounts. You seem to reload so different weighted bullets will have POI shift start out with a 124 and work you away up from there. Threading the barrel would be a good option.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
My accuracy is great with my barrel nut mounts, thread mounts and 'Bixler' 3 lug mounts. It has been hit or miss with the typical push / turn 3 lug mounts.
Pictured below are some IMI UZI barrels I have. Middle is unmodified. Left and right were threaded a long time ago so I made those SS thread protectors to match the OD of the barrel for proper alignment.
Do you know if the mount you use also interfaces the OD of the barrel like I have shown below?
UZI-Alpha-Mount.jpg

Dirk Hawthorne

Could be barrel harmonics but I doubt that from a shorty barrel so that leaves ammo and mounts. You seem to reload so different weighted bullets will have POI shift start out with a 124 and work you away up from there. Threading the barrel would be a good option.

It's not a POI thing.

I shoot 5 rounds and three bullets hit the paper and make a 2 or 3 inch group and the other two bullets don't make it onto the paper at all.

Almost like the can is vibrating and lightly tapping the occasional bullet.

Those 158 wadcutters I loaded were part of my testing to see if I could figure out what is wrong.

I also bought an IMI barrel just to see if the problem was the barrel.

Last edited:

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
Did you check concentricity with an alignment rod? I have a 22 that acts just like your describing above with suppressor on and off… And no signs of strikes at first glance. But you put the alignment rod in, and look real real close where it just barely touches one side, and sure enough there are tiny marks I’d have never noticed otherwise.

GreaseGunner

Dumb question but does the barrel fit into the suppressor core or baffle stack? I have an older Gemtech Multi-Mount with an Uzi mount and it can have issues with accuracy being all over when it take it off and put it back on, but the Uzi suppressors I made myself, the barrel indexes and fits into the core to ensure alignment and I see no issues with accuracy from either the aluminum or stainless models.

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
I find the same results as Amphibian. Direct mount and Bixler are fine, accuracy wise. Latka spring loaded type not so much. Got rid of the spring loaded years ago and never looked back. As I type, my Uzi MK9 is at Shaw having a full size dedicated end cap installed. My experience on the Micro with an MK9KCT9KS has been that this setup is more compact, rigid, accurate and repeatable. Joe did the work on it as well.
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_5332.jpg
    IMG_5332.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 8

Dirk Hawthorne

Dumb question but does the barrel fit into the suppressor core or baffle stack? I have an older Gemtech Multi-Mount with an Uzi mount and it can have issues with accuracy being all over when it take it off and put it back on, but the Uzi suppressors I made myself, the barrel indexes and fits into the core to ensure alignment and I see no issues with accuracy from either the aluminum or stainless models.

The barrel inserts into the end of the suppressor, of course, but I don't think it indexes on anything.

Bowers uses a multi-mount system where they sell all different kinds of mounts that thread into the end of the suppressor. I would be very surprised if there was some sort of UZI barrel indexing going on.

Dirk Hawthorne

I find the same results as Amphibian. Direct mount and Bixler are fine, accuracy wise. Latka spring loaded type not so much. Got rid of the spring loaded years ago and never looked back. As I type, my Uzi MK9 is at Shaw having a full size dedicated end cap installed. My experience on the Micro with an MK9KCT9KS has been that this setup is more compact, rigid, accurate and repeatable. Joe did the work on it as well.
Hope this helps!

I really like the barrel nut mount system, it's practically ideal.

I just get wonky accuracy out of it.

arch stanton

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand Live @ The Blue Note
Then your alignment is off if you are getting groups on paper and some not. If you inspect the inside of the can there are probably some very subtle scrub marks on a baffle. Call Tom at Bowers and get a new mounting nut it could be as simple as that. It's probably not that far out of wack other wise you'd have a noticeable baffle hit or maybe you do and cant see it. Send a bore scope or another small endoscope in from both ends and look for a strike.They are inexpensive on amazon and handy to have around.

Chef

Speaking of UZI mounts...
Does anyone make a barrel nut adapter with 1 3/8 x 24 threads on the other side? So a person can use different suppressors with the same adapter?

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Speaking of UZI mounts...
Does anyone make a barrel nut adapter with 1 3/8 x 24 threads on the other side? So a person can use different suppressors with the same adapter?
I already created a thread on that in Aug of 2023 here: https://uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?threads/uzi-barrel-nut-to-hub-thread.99414/
Please look at that thread and add to it if you want to revive the discussion. Bottom line is nobody does and so I made my own. Joe at Shaw Arms can do it but it is custom and will take some time for him to make it.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter