ATF is adding 4000 transferable Machineguns to the registry including many MP-5’s.

slimshady

So does this mean the prices of transferable MP5s are going down a couple hundred bucks?

rsideout

UZI Talk Life Member
So does this mean the prices of transferable MP5s are going down a couple hundred bucks?
Those Pre Samples probably just went up in value 25-50%++. But there may now be some full auto options that were not previously available as transferrables.

slimshady

I wonder why there are only 4,000. Surely in the 16+ years before the 86 ban LE bought more than that. There is something like 18,000 LE departments/agencies between state, local, and federal.

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
I wonder why there are only 4,000. Surely in the 16+ years before the 86 ban LE bought more than that. There is something like 18,000 LE departments/agencies between state, local, and federal.
I think it has to do with how they were brought in. It is my understanding that if they were imported/brought in directly to a PD or Gov agency they were incorrectly classified as samples. Samples brought in for demonstration and such are still samples. It all still remains to be seen.

At this point, if I had what was known as a sample that they deemed transferable, I'd want to see the original import info, have a supporting ATF letter and confirm for myself. We all know the stories of incorrectly classified "transferables" that have later been found to be posties and confiscated. I wouldn't want to unknowingly slip someone the greased weeny or have it done to me.

Last edited:

slimshady

What I am saying is out of say 15000 LE agencies over 16 years and change only 4000 bought one imported mg each? Equipping a swat team with mp5 s for example would usually require at least 10 to arm a small one with a spare or two. I gotta believe more than 400 swat teams bought imported guns over that time. Plus even the smallest PD has a few toyz stuck in the armory for emergencies.

Samples are just that, an actual order would be new guns purchased for/by them.

K2

Hi Slimshady,

One simple answer is that many PD's will/would not sell their used guns. I've friends that were FFL/SOT that would plead with towns and cities not to destroy their guns when "obsolete". It never worked. He could not even talk the PD's into selling the parts and melting down the receivers. Many PD's just don't want their obsolete firearms to "fall into the wrong hands."

Don't know for sure but this could account for many missing guns.

Enjoy,

K2

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Who is going to take credit for secretly buying up a lot of pre-May samples and then using the NFATCA to challenge the ATF to triple your profits? It seems like nothing ever happens unless their is money to be made.:)

Good news on the 1 week F4 e-forrms!

Looking forward to the eventual repeal of the all NFA laws.
:D

Last edited:

Chef

Maybe? But I think the market for the old transferable RR Mp5s will stay the same, because they are "entry level" Mp5s.
The "new" transferable, "real" Mp5s that will now be available are more for the discriminating collector who wants an authentic, real Hk produced Mp5.
Sear buyers are usually in it just for the ability to shoot FA and swap between hosts.

Those Pre Samples probably just went up in value 25-50%++. But there may now be some full auto options that were not previously available as transferrables.
Most of them will increase in value by more than 50%.
An average UZI sample goes for around $12k, a Walther MPL/K for $10k, a Beretta PM12s for about $15k and a Mp5 for about $18k.
An Mp5 just sold at a Morphys auction and appears to have brought close to $80k. The owner had one listed on GB for last month for around $78k, if I remember correctly, but it didn't sell there.
New transferables that might start to pop up would include the Walther MPL/K, Steyr MPI 69/81 and Beretta PM12s. All of which were popular, modern SMGs available to LE in the 80's.

So, any word if there are any UZIs?
I'm sure there are. Before this info was commonly available, there was one for sale last month and the guy was asking $25k for it. Didn't sell (yet). But the market on fullsize UZIs is soft, no doubt because there are so many transferable ones available already, and the Group/Vector ones are already full SMG spec, and most of the IMI conversions can be brought up to SMG spec rather easily. So the potential buyer base for a "real" IMI UZI is again, collectors that must have the "real thing".
Mini UZIs though, if any of the pre-sample ones become transferable, they might see a substantial increase in value.

I think it has to do with how they were brought in. It is my understanding that if they were imported/brought in directly to a PD or Gov agency they were incorrectly classified as samples. Samples brought in for demonstration and such are still samples. It all still remains to be seen.
I was also under the impression that not only did they have to be imported/brought in specifically for LE/Gov use, they also had to have been fielded by those agencies and not just sitting in their boxes on a shelf, or used as play toys by small town sheriffs for fun.
But that's just what I heard, I have no actual verification of this.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter